1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post your Astros memories here

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by msn, Nov 17, 2011.

1. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

1. Finally beating the Braves to finally advance. I hated those guys.

2. When we signed Randy Johnson and how the dial went to 11 for a few months at the Astrodome. I still remember his first start and how much traffic there was at the Dome.

3. Kent's Blast against the Cardinals in '04. I took off work the next day and drove 10 hours with a buddy to St. Louis to watch game 6.

4. Game 4 of the WS. It sucked, but I was glad to get to attend a WS game in Houston.

5. Pujols blast. It's one of the most surreal moments I've ever been at. That ball is still going. You could hear pin drops at Minute Maid.

6. Standing outside the Astrodome one night and Lima Time coming out to sign balls. That and screaming, "It's Lima Time" when he was on, RIP.

7. General Admission at the Dome in the outfield and the dude who was dressed up as General Admission. I spent most of my high school summers enjoying the A/C out there. I remember sitting out there studying SAT words.

8. The double play to end the game against the Cardinals in the NLCS in '05. I left Minute Maid and got interviewed by The Chronicle. I was so amped up I can't even remember what I said.

9. The marathon game against the Braves in '05. I gave my tickets to my brother and he went. I watched it in Dallas since I was hungover from the TX/OU game. That Ausmus HR that hit the line was so ridiculous.

10. My first grade teacher turning on the '86 Mets-Astros games during class. That's when the love affair all started.

1 person likes this.
  2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Lefty's Pub in the Dome.

Going to the All-Star warmup with my Grandfather.

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just wanted to add how much I enjoyed Chester Charge at the games when I was a kid.

I also loved the Astro Nuts (that dixie land band that used to play at Astro games. My friend had an autographed picture of the band, and I thought it was the coolest thing.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

i was at the dome, upper deck, for randy johnson first home start. when dude came out of the tunnel to warm up, the dome went nuts. it was electric feeling in there.

5. msn

msn Member

ummm, JR is still alive...

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

-When I was a kid my dad allowed me to listen to Astro's games past my bedtime without my mothers knowledge. West coast games were the best.

-One night I was at the Laff Stop in the early nineties doing open mic when Craig Biggio, Jeff Bagwell and Luis Gonzales came in drunk with 2 chicks. There was maybe 12 people there including the staff, but we all partied with them for hours after the club closed.

-When FranchiseBlade realized the JR Richard was still alive. ;)

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

If he wasn't, maybe the Astros would retire his Jersey. A great pitcher cut down in the prime of his career. A stroke that should have been prevented by the doctors.

Yet we have Jim Umbricht retired because he died of cancer at the age of 33. Not trying to take anything away from a guy's fight against cancer, but Umbricht was not nearly the player Richard was.

How good the Astros might have been if Wilson hadn't died, and Richard have that stroke.

Of course, the same could be said for what if Carlos Hernandez had never gotten on base and Wade Miller's arm didn't fall apart. The former were just far more tragic.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

i've erased all mine ala men in black.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I used to turn my little radio on really low and sneak it under the covers with me to listen to Astros' games after bedtime. I'd usually fall asleep before the game was over, but the static would wake me up in the middle of the night. Back in those days, the radio station in Beaumont that played the Astros would go off the air at midnight or when the game was over, whichever came last.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I was at this game also! It was Cub Scout night and the game was so long I think we had to leave about the 12th or 13th inning.

Anyone remember nickel beer night? It was like a scene from the Walking Dead after those games.

One nickel beer night my dad got so plastered we couldn't find the car. Had to wait for the parking lot to clear out to find where we parked the car.

Also remember getting "rained" on in the dome due to the leaks in the ceiling. Some spots were like sitting under a fawcet.

Good times.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

<object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=12602377&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=12602377&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /></object>

Roy Oswalt closing the Old Busch Stadium by sending us to our 1st World Series

Watching the Astros absolutely pound the Braves in 2004 after all those years of the offense disappearing in the playoffs.

Brandon Backe getting the win to clinch the playoffs in 2004

Brandon Backe going 8, giving up one hit against the Cards in 2004, and Jeff Kent's HR to win it.

5-5
    <object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=5652815&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=5652815&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /></object>

<object width="400" height="254"><param name="movie" value="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=8890575&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="scale" value="noscale" /><param name="salign" value="tl" /><embed src="http://mlb.mlb.com/shared/flash/video/share/ObjectEmbedFrame.swf?content_id=8890575&topic_id=&width=400&height=254&property=mlb" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="254" scale="noscale" salign ="tl" /></object>

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you're right. I meant the stroke. I guess that shows where my mind was at. I'm glad it didn't kill him.

13. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

2005 world series run. That was magical.

Then throwing car batteries at Beltran was also pretty good.

14. RocketMania1991

Younger fan here but I have some fond memories.

Got to see Luke Scott hit for the cycle against the D-Backs (I think it was against them in extras).

Went to Roger Clemens start against Saint Louis when we pulled a 4 game sweep out in 2006. And were on the verge of retaking the division with just a few games to go. Fcking Atlanta beating us on the last day. Game was awesome though. Crowed was so pumped up.

2005 went to game 4. Even though we lost, that post-season is what truly got me into the Astros, and Houston sports in general.

Clemens first start against the Twins when he came back mid-season in 06.

Biggios last game as a Stro.

Its depressing with this whole AL move. When we were relevant in the NL Central I had an avid hate for STL/Chi/Cin. Now my hate has somewhat dwindled. I was even rooting for the Cards in the WS.

I remember when I'd be at an Astros game and constantly looking at the out of town scoreboard, frantically looking at what teams we needed to lose/win.
    Forcing myself to check my phone and computer for pitch by pitch information on other games.

My best memories were when the Astros actually mattered in baseball. The suspense that came with a playoff contending baseball team was awesome.

A sold-out minute maid park with Astros fans was a sight to behold. Its been to long :(

Hope we go out with a bang next year, and demolish the Rangers in the AL after that.

15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Berkman falling on Tal's Hill and losing his hat, while making the catch. I can't believe we had that spaz in center.

Jim Deshaies stating that a little girl in the crowd was "Bogarting the cotton candy" from her brother.

16. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

Did anyone mention the 6 pitcher no hitter?

17. TheresTheDagger

Its one of the videos further up the page.

Learned something from watching that video. The 6 pitcher no-hitter was the first time since 1958 the Yankees had been no-hit.

Historical night indeed.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I was in Boston to see the Astros play at Fenway in that very next series. Those 6 pitchers were greeted like heroes, having no-hit the Yanks. :)