1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Post Practice Interview] JB: "I made it harder on James." Has plans to change that. And talks ab

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 3, 2015.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

From Rockets.com

http://www.nba.com/rockets/video/te...88-Post-Practice-Bickerstaff-12315.mov-150891

JB About the 1-minute mark after answering question about DMo:
    "I got to the point where I was relying so much on James, and asking James to do so much that I made it harder on him than it had to be."

Asked about the better ball movement in NOLA game.

Talks about wanting to move the ball more.
    Make him harder to guard, "make people have to chase him."
    "Also, make sure his teammates get involved."

"Asking anybody to play 40 minutes and carry the load like he does is tough."
    "Want to get him in 36-37 range.

On DMo: It's beginning of interview. At end, he still won't mention a day of return, although he said "Yes" to the question about whether he has a date in mind.

1 person likes this.
  2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

JBB's voice, oh my!

Instead of shouting he is going to have to resort to.....clapping. Clap, Clap!

1 person likes this.
  3. heypartner

They joke about it at the end of the interview. Funny comments.

4. Mattician

Mattician Member

Let Lawson handle the ball more.

Just do it.

5. Mr Chuck Norris

No Sticky balls?

6. onreego

onreego Member

Did they simulate in game situations or did they just run around on the court today?

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

Aren't they one in the same for the Rockets?

8. heypartner

DMo did 2-2 and 3-3 work. JB said not much full contact for him, but DMo says they didn't let up on him, so likely was practicing against Howard/Jones/Capela in the 3-3, with a PG and Wing. Which would mean, one side of the court is taken up, so the other side was running drills and walkthroughs. So, yeah, that's simulating game situations with drills and opponent game-planning with walk-throughs.

So, they run drills, game-planning walk-throughs and some full court. Back to normal. The confidence-building practice of mainly full court was a special practice.

9. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Excellent!

More off-ball movement is coming!
    Getting more guys involved on offense will automatically keep everyone engaged on defense as well.

I'm now optimistic that JBB can get guys on the same page again, and playing as a team. Good to hear.

They have a luxury in Ty Lawson being as good of a drive & kick player as James Harden. I really hope they incorporate him in a manner that works for them both, because that scheme definitely exists! Just have to keep tinkering to find the working situation

10. onreego

onreego Member

Haha! Their in game situations generally start with, "okay the other team is up by 20..."

2 people like this.
  11. omgTHEpotential

DMo can shoot threes, score from the post & pass! Not to mention he's a good all-around defender. This current Rockets team can sure use that skillset.

12. onreego

onreego Member

Thanks for the info, heypartner!

13. ibm

ibm Member

translation: too much iso's by harden, now its time to cut it down. and his minutes will be cut down a little per his request.

14. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

JB communicates so much better than McHale...not even close.

15. heypartner

Are you implying Harden made it hard on himself by ignoring the coach play calling?

JBB states that was all on him as coach, no?

"I got to the point where I was relying so much on James, and asking James to do so much that I made it harder on him than it had to be."

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just give me another Memorial Day/Night game! ;)

17. ibm

ibm Member

that was my read/decoding of his words.

and yes, harden made it harder for himself and his team with too many iso's - imo. i dont ever imply that. i've always explicitly said it.
    for christ's sake, his last name is harden - i.e., making everything hard - isnt it? :p

word for word, on surface/paper, certainly jbb was just pondering his young hc career. what you said ofc was correct, as usual. now you happy?

18. Rio Rocket

Rio Rocket Member

haha love his dwight and donatas answers, jb rules

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Harden ain't trying to run all over the court, defenders won't be chasing him very often.

1 person likes this.
  20. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I always wondered why, at the end of games, they didn't try to get James to move off the ball and then get the ball to him. Instead of giving the ball to him right away on the iso and allowing the defense to set up and adjust to him... why not let Lawson have it and get James to come off a screen to get the ball?

That way when James gets it, the defense isn't set and adjusted to him and he gets the ball in a situation where his defender might be out of position on him. It just seems to me that would make his job a lot easier.

It sounds like JB feels the same way.