1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Post Olympic Fatigue - Rockets and the West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dark_Tower, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Contributing Member

During the ongoing discussion of Yao's minutes should be for the 08-09 season, one of the points that has come up from time to time is post-Olympic fatigue. I think that Yao will be okay because he is playing himself back into NBA shape with the Olympics. That made me start to think about how many teams have Olympians, and what the potential impact might be for these teams. So I complied a list of known Olympians by NBA teams. (Notes: question marks mean that I could not confirm the participation of that player. Also, some of the teams listed have not qualified for the Olympics yet; the final wild card qualifier is 14-20 July.) With no further ado:

Chicago: Andres Nocioni (Argentina)
    Cleveland: Lebron James (USA)
    Dallas: Jason Kidd (USA), Dirk Nowitski (Germany)
    Denver: Carmello Anthony (USA), Linus Kleiza (Lithuania), Nene (Brazil)
    Detroit: Tayshaun Prince (USA)
    L.A. Clippers: Elton Brand(USA), Chris Kaman(Germany)
    L.A. Lakers: Kobe Bryant (USA), Pau Gasol (Spain), Sasha Vujacic? (Slovenia)
    Houston: Yao Ming(China), Luis Scola (Argentina)
    Memphis: Marc Gasol (Spain)
    Miami: Dwyane Wade (USA), Joel Anthony (Canada)
    Milwaukee: Andrew Bogut (Australia), Michael Redd (USA)
    New Jersey: Yi Jianlian (China), Boki Nachbar? (Slovenia)
    New Orleans: Chris Paul (USA)
    Orlando: Dwight Howard (USA), Carlos Arroyo (Puerto Rico)
    Philadelphia: Samuel Dalembert (Canada)
    Phoenix: Leandro Barbosa? (Brazil)
    Portland: Rudy Fernandez (Spain)
    Sacramento: Beno Udrih? (Slovenia)
    San Antonio: Manu Ginobli (Argentina), Fabricio Oberto (Argentina)
    Toronto: Chris Bosh (USA), Carlos Delfino (Argentina), Jose Calderon (Spain), Primoz Brezec? (Slovenia)
    Utah: Carlos Boozer (USA), Andrei Kirilenko? (Russia), Deron Williams (USA), Kostas Koufos (Greece)
    Washington: Darius Songalia (Lithuania)

From what I can tell, the Rockets are going to take a bit of a hit by having two contributors a bit fatigued early. But IMO, the teams that are going to take a huge hit early are going to be the Lakers (Kobe, Pau & Sasha - three starters), Toronto (four players in the Olympics), Utah and Denver, strangely enough.

How do you see the Olympics affecting the Rockets? Do you see anyone in the West being significantly affected by the Olympics? Did I miss any Olympians? Discuss.

2. abc2007

abc2007 Member

I remember Manu won the golden medal at 2004 olympic games, and then help the spurs win 2004-2005 title.

3. hawkshi

hawkshi Member

不可否认NBA是全球对抗性最激烈的篮球联盟。
    NBA球员参加奥运可以当成训练的一部分,没太大影响。不要受伤就行。
    我个人很期待中国进前4。美国拿总冠军99%。

It is undeniable that the global confrontation NBA is the most intense Basketball League.
    NBA players can participate in the Olympics as part of training, not too much impact. Do not injured on the trip.
    I personally am looking forward to China into the top four. United States win a championship 99%.

4. lustdog

lustdog Member

Steve Nash?

5. Dark_Tower

6. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

Are we too optimistic for the gold medal? I would rather to see Argentinna win the gold again. Anyway,if only won't the USA win the gold because I just want KB to be frustrated.That guy has long believed that he can do anything ,to be fair ,he is very capable that he can scored 81 in a single game ,but 81 points were still enough to win the game so he need other lakers to score.We all know that we have won no championship since 2000 Olympics. Damned Koby thougt that we will be gonna win the gold this time just because he is in the team.No ,man ,Agentinians will prove him wrong,or will the Spanishmen.Hell Bryant ,who is no more than a kind of ant :p .
    In addition ,I just want anyother team porve coach K wrong .I haven't found any better point on prince than Battier.I can't realize why shane hasn't got the oppotunity to work for his country. I think even Bruce Bowen is better than Prince. :mad: hell kb
    Anyteam whose coach has brain will be gonna beat the KB team.

7. Dark_Tower

Argentina certainly would be the favorites to knock off the US team - besides the US, they are the most loaded squad. But don't let your dislike for Kobe flavor your entire outlook for the US squad. Despite a lack of bigs, the US team is still the favorite. But instead of being the overwhelming favorite as in years past, the US team is merely first among equals.

Shane Battier bowed out early this offseason, citing surgery on his ankle as his rationale. Besides, Tayshaun has been one of the best defenders in the league...so I don't see the problem there. At this point, he's younger, longer, faster and less of a cheap-shot artist than Bruce Bowen.

8. longbow111

longbow111 Member

Olympic games will finish around Aug.24. So I don't think it's not much of a problem. Of course, Injuiries is a different story.

The 82 games regular season itself is the main reason many player feel tired and cause some injuiries, IMHO.

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on, most players play all summer long.....The Olympics are like a working vacation.

DD

10. rua2006

rua2006 Member

I like the idea of the Jazz tiring out.

The big problem that sticks out is Kobe's finger. Olympics finish August 24th. Surgery, healing, maybe he's ready October 1?

But think about the schedule the Olympic players have to go through.
    NBA season finishes around May. They probably start practicing to start July (right?). So they had a month or so to rest their bodies. Now of course they're playing and training, but it's not at the level of intensity that comes with preparing for competition, so rest is rest. But here, it's about a month there, and then maybe a couple of weeks after August 24th, and then they have to start training for the season again. So I can see fatigue being a slight problem, because the only extended rest they have just passed us. For the Lakers, Pistons, and Spurs, that rest was virtually nothing.

11. abita

abita Member

Utah: Carlos Boozer seanon ending broken legs (check)
    Andrei Kirilenko marriage ending divorce (check)
    Deron Williams life ending motorcycle crash (check)
    Kostas Koufos work ending in the US, visa revoked (check)

OKAY now, rockets, make sure we face the Utah Azz again in the playoff in first round. It's time for a revenge. :eek:

Oh wait................. are those really necessary? You only get better after u overcome the obstacles, right?

12. luisantonio1014

If Soccer players around the world can do it every year, then NBA players can do it.

13. The_Nine_Gates

I just hope Yao doesn't get hurt.

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

1. Sasha Vujacic is not a starter.

2. They don't play that many games in the Olympics. The bigger concern is injury. That is what management around the league is worred about, not fatigue. If a player gets injured, or doesn't heal an injury, as a result of playing in the Olympics, that is what can impact the NBA season.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Boki is Italian and Udrich German ...

16. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Did you just wish one of their players death? :eek:

Over the line Smokey!

17. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Although he holds dual US and Greek citizenships, Kosta Koufos was born and raised in Canton, Ohio.

Only being picky because I know family members.

18. jebustheomlet

jebustheomlet Member

you are a terrible person. i dont know you. but i dont want to know you. **** man death?

19. poprocks

poprocks Member

sigh..~

20. abita

abita Member

okay guys, sorry about the offending jokes :(