1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Post-Game Ramblings

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jardinero, Feb 4, 2000.

1. Jardinero

Jardinero Member

After catching my first game at the Summit (yes - the Summit) in two years, I finally succumbed, registering my profile and switching off my two year lurk mode. Here are a few scattered reflections.....

- The ever gracious Glide did what I expected him to do, said more about the guests that they said about him.

- Hakeem truly was inspired tonight. You had to wonder what danced through his head when Clyde said of him (paraphrased), "A man who gives you 110% every night."

- Shandon plays within the flow seamlessly, but there is often no flow to play in these days. The iso game that suits Cat/Wonderboy so well leaves is effective, but it is also static. Francis will realize that it is his job to drag Shanderson out of the shadows some nights, and he will learn when to do it.

- Cato blocks shots with his elbows. You gotta be kidding me!

- Something about his build makes me think that Bryce would look particularly good in a Raptors jersey. Is it the broad shoulders?

- We keep talking about Cat + ? for (insert name of impressive big man here) swaps, and our big men keep convincing me that we don't need it. I am perfectly content to wait out the season, watch our big men improve their games/trade values, and see what draft day brings.

- Not enough Houstonians realize what Carrol Dawson has done for this team/town. Hell, Les almost got that much applause.

Okay, rambling over. Glad you could meet me.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled lurking.

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Good to meet you "gardener".

Agreed with most of what you said. (Did I just pull a Francis3???) [​IMG]

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

3. Steve Phrancis

Most of the people don't know who CD is. They think that Rudy is the GM.

------------------
    Was that a cross over that made you buckle at your ankles?
    [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Steve Phrancis (edited February 04, 2000).]

4. vince

vince Member

Oyes jardinero, son dos veces por semana que tienes que venir. [​IMG] Si no pues buscamos a otro que aga la chamba!!!

Great post my friend!!

I agreed with everything you said. Carrol has been overshadowed so much by Rudy that if I were Carrol I'd be jealous. Everyone outside rocket fanatic always give the credit and the blame soley to Rudy.

Carrol deserves as much or more credit for the personnel that the Rockets are composed of!!!!!! He is the brains behind the operation. Rudy is what everyone sees, but not the only one pulling the strings.

Rudy, Carrol, and the other coaches are really the dream team!!! Putting together a team in such shot time is just mind boggling. Aren't teams supposed to stuggle for 5 to 10 years after they win championships.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Jard,

Another thing...how tall did Iverson look to you. There is no way he is 6'.

He had no chance to stop Anderson. I was so glad to see Rudy pull out the obvious strategy of making Philly pay for putting a 5'10" man on Anderson.

I hope you go to more games. I'd like to hear more of your take. Yesterday, was an atypical one because you just have to exploit that match-up ALL GAME. Well done Shandon.

So, I wasn't just seeing things? Those were indeed elbow blocks by Cato?

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 04, 2000).]

6. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

5'10 or 6' tall, doesn't matter, I now have no doubts that Allen Iverson is, pound for pound, the most skilled player in basketball. Did you see him scoring against 3 defenders on 3-1 fastbreaks? Did you see him get into the middle of the defense and constantly flip shots over the outstretched arms of Cato. Damn, he doesn't even do his crossover nowadays. Just gets the ball and blows by his guy.

Man, if Larry Brown could trade for a 2nd scorer, Philly will be my pick in the East for years to come.

7. Jardinero

Jardinero Member

Rudy and CD do make a ridiculous team, and it is that relationship that gives me hope for the future. I don't think Rudy has too many years left as a coach, but he is such an uncanny evaluator of talent that it would kill us to lose him entirely.

If he and CD could balance the GM responsibilities between them, I think we could have something. Rudy will never be a desk guy, but he could certainly lighten CD's load. Maybe's Rudy's help in the front office would extend CD's tenure a bit?

Here's hopin'!

Que la fuerza te acompane Young Francis.....