1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possibly moving to Chicago - need advice

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Schmidt, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Schmidt

Schmidt Member

So I flew up to Chicago a few weeks ago and interviewed for a District Manager position. Anyone with experience living in both Houston and Chicago? I've looked at Cost of Living Calculators and they've been zero help. I know it's going to be more expensive, but how much more - percentage wise?

I make currently make $85K base + vehicle + fuel + 15% bonus.

This is a promotion/relocation so I don't want to move all the way up there just to be in the same financial situation. An offer is being made tomorrow afternoon so I'm warming up my negotiating hat!

I'm aware of the 5% state income tax.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Not sure if you've use this one but it gives you an idea of the differences between cities.

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

If you're single and that's your base salary, you can live in any neighborhood in Chicago for that much comfortably from what I've seen. Is your job going to be in the city or in the suburbs?

3. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Move to Milwaukee , take the Hiawatha to work (drops you off in Downtown Chicago) and get a good hour's sleep or some work done.

But if you must live in Chicago, good luck. Prices are much higher for rent than in Houston (I would say $300 and higher depending on where you want to live), then there's parking which is always a nightmare, traffic is not as bad at night, and then there's the crime issue (which is mostly south side gang related).

Even with that being said Chicago is an awesome city. Culture, food, sports, music and of course, your job.

A lot of people commute by train from the greater Chicago area into downtown to work, so that might be another option.

Good luck,

4. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Chicago is an awesome city, and with that salary you'll comfortably find a good tradeoff between safety/luxury/entertainment/value. The central questions for you going in should be:

1) Where is the job in Chicago?
    If the job is in the suburbs, you can expect to pay roughly 2-300 less for housing. For example, a 1BR studio in the Streeterville neighborhood (north Chicago off the lake) can run anywhere from $1600-4000. But a 1BR studio in the Wicker Park neighborhood (northwest Chicago) can run anywhere from $1000-$3000. A 1BR in the suburbs can run you $500-$1500.

2) How do you want to get to work?
    This will depend on the job location again. If your job is in the city, it'd be in your best interest to grab a monthly bus/train pass and use the excellent public transportation system. You'd save yourself tons in gas and potentially wasted traffic time.

3) What do you want to do in Chicago?
    If you're still single, looking to go out and have a good time, then stay in the city in one of the more fun neighborhoods. Plenty of culture and things to do. If you're older or more focused on your job and need quiet, there's neighborhoods for that too.

More details and we can probably help out more. I was in Houston for about 10 years before moving up to Chicago. Been here for about 12 now.

5. VanityHalfBlack

There's this place where you can insult the workers at this hot dog place.

6. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A snitch n**** dats da **** dey don't like!
    A b**** n*** dats da **** dey don't like!

Have some of the things they don't like in Chicago, you better remember all that stuff.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xwo24m"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xwo24m_chief-keef-ft-lil-reese-i-don-t-like-official-video_music" target="_blank">CHIEF KEEF ft LIL REESE &quot; I Don't Like...</a> <i>von <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/UnderProject" target="_blank">UnderProject</a></i>

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

CoL is higher in Chicago, but if you can score a place near their subway lines and you work near them, then it's a great place to be without a car. Many things to do. I haven't been there when it snows though. That seems like a monster to deal with if you're flying.

9. VanityHalfBlack

This is better.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Z68Qow64Vik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

He has to go with the times, breh.

11. VanityHalfBlack

Man if that's the case, humanity is doom cause that's just about the worst rap song I have ever heard. Maybe it's just me.

12. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

We have to prepare him for modern Chi-Town, he needs to face this.

13. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

Chicago's anthem, learn it by heart and you'll be fine there
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LQ488QrqGE4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. ItsMyFault

Snow levels here are kind of up and down. It doesn't snow a whole lot compared to surrounding cities and some of the northeast. Oct-Dec is cold, but it isn't super, frigid cold. Jan-March is really when it's frigid -- toughest to deal with. Here's the thing I'll say though, if you can make the winter -- it's all worth it for the summer. It's absolutely gorgeous in the summer time here.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. DreamRoxCoogFan

^ should I evacuate?

17. trustme

trustme Member

There's only 3 months of summer here. The other 9 months are like living in Canada.

Try moving to either the city proper or out in the suburbs. Avoid anything north of the city because its too congested and avoid the south for obvious reasons.

18. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I just moved to Chicago from Houston and, so far, we are really enjoying the city. We live in Lakeview just a block or so south from Wrigley Field. Today I rode my bike for about an hour by the lake (lots of bikinis out - couldn't help but notice - Chicago is a beach town!) and then walked my dog to dog beach on the lake.

Depending on where your job is I would rent someplace in the city either in the Loop or north of the Loop. It will be expensive but, if you are single, you can get a pretty cool 1 Bedroom or loft in a highrise with views of the city and lake for $1,500 or less. Living in the city is expensive but it's an experience (especially coming from Houston).

I suggest renting for a year because the city has so many diverse neighborhoods that you really need to spend some time here to figure out the right place for you. Do you want to settle in a high-rise but do without a car? Do you want to live in a condo in Lincoln Park or Lakeview and take the "L" to work? Do you want to buy a house in the suburbs?

It's really an exciting and fun city. It's certainly way more expensive than Houston but it is a completely different experience as well. You will spend your first six months here as a tourist checking out the museums, festivals, architecture, etc... Good luck!

19. ItsMyFault

Yeah... unless you go to the south and or parts of the west, none of this matters. There's no reason to go there anyway unless you live in one of the poverty neighborhoods there.

The other 9 months are nothing like living in Canada because Canada is much colder on average. There's 4 months of summer (May-August).

I wouldn't avoid anything north of the city just because of congestion. Some of the best neighborhoods are there -- if urbanity is what you prefer -- you'll love neighborhoods like Wicker Park, Lakeview, Goldcoast, Lincoln Park, Roscoe Village, Logan Square, etc. If you want suburbia, that's all outside of the city anyway.

This is pretty much spot on.

#19 ItsMyFault, Jun 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2013
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I have lived in Houston and currently live in Chicago... There is NO comparison when it comes to cost of living. Chicago is extremely, extremely expensive. For example gas is $5 a gallon and the taxes in Chicago are the highest in the country. Cigarettes are $8 a pack. If you are moving from Houston to Chicago I hope they are giving you a 25% raise.