1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

POSSIBLE TRADES/SIGNINGS

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SOURCE, Jan 25, 2000.

1. SOURCE

SOURCE Member

It seems as though the Rockets are looking to make some roster changes before the trading deadline if a deal improves the team in the present and the seasons to come... It seems as though the Rockets will try and come up with a trade involving any of the players mentioned:
    1.Walt Williams (most likely of the players to be traded)
    2.TMASS
    3.I'm not sure how accurate this is but even Drew (possibly to move up in the draft Guyton anyone??)

The Rockets could even keep the team as it stands and then try and move up in the lottery.

The Rockets would love to move Williams. Why else do you think they're showcasing him?

And Bullard, though an excellent shooter from downtown, can't put the ball on the floor for more than one dribble. (the reason they would trade Bullard is because he doesn't exactlt fit in the Rockets offense, however, he is the most likely to stay)

I see a deal happening now or during the offseaon in order to free up some cap room to sign free agents or as I said move up into the lottery.

Here is a list of this coming offseason free agents:

ATLANTA -- Bimbo Coles; LaPhonso Ellis; Anthony Johnson; Isaiah Rider

BOSTON -- Marty Conlon; Pervis Ellison; Danny Fortson; Doug Overton

CHARLOTTE -- Tyrone Grant; Michael Hawkins; Derek Hood; Eddie Jones; Anthony Mason; Brad Miller

CHICAGO -- Chris Anstey; B.J. Armstrong; Randy Brown; Kornel David; Fred Hoiberg; Lari Ketner; Toni Kukoc; Michael Ruffin; Dickey Simpkins; Dedric Willoughby

CLEVELAND -- Benoit Benjamin; A.J. Bramlett; Danny Ferry

DALLAS -- Hubert Davis (option); Rick Hughes; Rick Hughes; Bruno Sundov; Gary Trent (option)

DENVER -- Chauncey Billups; Ryan Bowen; Chris Herren; Ron Mercer; Roy Rogers; Johnny Taylor

DETROIT -- Jud Buechler (option); John Crotty; Grant Hill (option); Jermaine Jackson; Terry Mills; Mikki Moore; Don Reid

GOLDEN STATE -- Tony Farmer; Adonal Foyle; Damon Jones; Tim Legler; John Starks; Tim Young

HOUSTON -- Charles Barkley (will retire); Thomas Hamilton; TMASS; Cuttino Mobley

INDIANA -- Austin Croshere (option); Mark Jackson; Reggie Miller; Sam Perkins; Jalen Rose; Rik Smits

LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS -- Derek Anderson; Anthony Avent; Keith Closs; Troy Hudson; Charles Jones; Maurice Taylor

LOS ANGELES LAKERS -- John Celestand; A.C. Green (option); Travis Knight (option); Glen Rice; John Salley; Brian Shaw

MIAMI -- Rodney Buford; Anthony Carter;; Mark Davis; Tim Hardaway; Harold Jamison; Dan Majerle; Rex Walters

MILWAUKEE -- Darvin Ham; Haywoode Workman

MINNESOTA -- Tom Hammonds; Bobby Jackson; Andrae Patterson; Lou Roe; Danny Schayes; Joe Smith

NEW JERSEY -- Scott Burrell; Michael Cage; Sherman Douglas; Kendall Gill; Gheorghe Muresan ; Johnny Newman; Elliot Perry

NEW YORK -- Rick Brunson; DeMarco Johnson; Kurt Thomas; David Wingate

ORLANDO -- Tariq Abdul-Wahad; John Amaechi; Chucky Atkins; Armon Gilliam; Anthony Parker; Ben Wallace; Monty Williams

PHILLY --Todd MacCulloch ; Aaron McKie (option); Billy Owens (option)

PHOENIX -- Gerald Brown; Toby Bailey; Corie Blount (option); Todd Day; Oliver Miller; Mark West

PORTLAND -- Greg Anthony; Stacey Augmon; Brian Grant (option); Gary Grant; Antonio Harvey; Joe Kleine; Nikita Morgunov

SACRAMENTO -- Tyrone Corbin; Ryan Robertson; Bill Wennington

SAN ANTONIO -- Chucky Brown; Derrick Dial; Antonio Daniels; Tim Duncan; Mario Elie; Sean Elliott; Avery Johnson; Jerome Kersey; David Robinson; Felton Spencer

SEATTLE -- Emanual Davis; Rashard Lewis; Jelani McCoy; Chuck Person; Fred Vinson

TORONTO -- Muggsy Bogues; Sean Marks; Tracy McGrady; John Thomas

UTAH -- Pete Chilcutt; Howard Eisley; Jeff Hornacek (will retire); Adam Keefe; Jacque Vaughn

VANCOUVER -- Antoine Carr; Milt Palacio; Dennis Scott; Joe Stephens; Ivano Newbill

WASHINGTON -- Calvin Booth; Gerard King ; Reggie Jordan; Laron Profit; Jahidi White; Chris Whitney

There will be at least one "quality player added via free agency"

Tim Duncan
    Grant Hill
    Glen Rice
    Tim Hardaway
    Eddie Jones
    Brian Grant
    Tracy McGrady
    Maurice Taylor
    Jalen Rose
    Reggie Miller
    Ron Mercer
    Toni Kukoc
    Anthony Mason
    Mark Jackson
    Joe Smith
    Derek Anderson
    Isaiah Rider
    (expect a PF such as Grant or Maurice to be signed, and possibly a SF via the draft...maybe even a PG other than Drew)

more to come....but this post is getting to long....

------------------
    BLESSED ARE THE LOSERS FOR THEY DETERMINE THE WINNERS

2. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Would your "source" happen to be Peter Vecsey's newest column, or are you his source?

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah that is Pete's latest column. [​IMG] And usually few of his "rumors" have much truth behind them. I hope this one is false as well. While Walt is clearly not the long term SF for this team, he has been doing a nice job, and I'd like to keep him aboard. He'd be an excellent role player to have around, because of his ability to shoot and create off the dribble. Now, if you could get a good deal for him, I would probably jump at it. It's just I doubt we could get much for Walt because simply GM's know that even when he's playing well he isn't worth a whole lot trade wise, especially with his huge contract.

4. The Cat

Yeah that is Pete's latest column. [​IMG] And usually few of his "rumors" have much truth behind them. I hope this one is false as well. While Walt is clearly not the long term SF for this team, he has been doing a nice job, and I'd like to keep him aboard. He'd be an excellent role player to have around, because of his ability to shoot and create off the dribble. Now, if you could get a good deal for him, I would probably jump at it. It's just I doubt we could get much for Walt because simply GM's know that even when he's playing well he isn't worth a whole lot trade wise, especially with his huge contract.

5. The Cat

If I posted that twice sorry. I didn't see it show up so I resubmitted it.

6. University Blue

I doubt Portland will let Grant leave. (He does wear a red headband!)

Speaking of Grant, I love his quote after Olajuwon's fake into the lane.

Grant: "I thought you retired that move."

7. Steve Phrancis

Brian Grant would be the person that I would persue the most. He is an awesome player and can run the floor. Can play the 4 or 5. And great for the city..

As far as the Dream shake, it looked like Vintage O on Zo Sunday. He created about 3 or 4 feet of seperation.

8. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Nice post, SOURCE, but please do not post other people's articles without acknowledging the material's owner.

9. davo

davo Contributing Member

If that really is Peter Vescey's article, he's even dumber than I thought. As discussed in numerous previous posts here, the only trades we could do to free up cap space would have to be major (ie involve hakeem, or Williams AND Cato). Trading Tmass has no Cap Space benefit as he's a free agent after this year anyway.

Of course we could do a trade for a major Free agent via the other team doing a "Sign and trade" whereby we circumvent the salary cap restriction and just trade equivalent salaries.

ie
    San Antonio sign Tim Duncan to a 5 year $14Million a year deal and trade him to the Rockets for Walt Williams ($4Mil) Kelvin Cato ($4mil)Rogers ($2.6Mil) Drew ($1.2Mil and our first round pick (approx $2 - $3 Mil)

And I think we all know how likely that scenario is.

[This message has been edited by davo (edited January 26, 2000).]

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Of course we could do a trade for a major Free agent via the other team doing a "Sign and trade" whereby we circumvent the salary cap restriction and just trade equivalent salaries.

ie
    San Antonio sign Tim Duncan to a 5 year $14Million a year deal and trade him to the Rockets for Walt Williams($4Mil) Kelvin Cato ($4mil)Rogers ($2.6Mil) Drew ($1.2Mil and our first round pick (approx $2 - $3 Mil)

How does that example circumvent the salary cap? Salaries on both sides would still have to be within 15%. In this case, the fact that it's a sign and trade doesn't change anything. Only way a sign and trade makes a difference is if the team receiving the higher salary amount can fit the salaries under the cap, then both sides don't have to be within 15%. This is what happened with the Pippen trade and what would have happened with the proposed Hakeem to Toronto deal.

11. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Has anyone noticed how Walt seems a lot older than he is. I really don't think he many good years left and shouldn't be in our future plans.

My ideal situation would be to trade Williams for Elliot and then let Elliot retire for medical reasons with us. That way the Spurs get another offensive player that helps their weakest position and we get rid of the salary.

I would trade him to other teams too, if the Lakers deal Rice they may need another shooter. I think I would take Horry or Fox for Walt because they play better defense. I probably would take Marshall (especially) or Mills (maybe) from GS for him too. Of course a better situation would be trading Walt for any younger player listed above with even a little potential.

[This message has been edited by sir scarvajal (edited January 26, 2000).]

12. SOURCE

SOURCE Member

I have some more news and as I said the Rockets are in desperate need of a power forward. Although Walt has been doing a tremendous job lately, he is still the player to go. Simply because the Rockets don't see him as the player they need in the "changed offense". The Rockets are trying to free up some cap room in order to sign a player this offseason. A player that has been mentioned is Brian Grant. Portland isn't happy with his game ever since his injury. The upside to this matter is that he is a free agent which is no risk for the Rockets. If he does well in Houston then maybe the Rockets extend his contract.
    As for where I got my sources from.....one is from the HOUSTON CHRONICLE..."Portland is quietly shopping Brian Grant, hoping to loosen the logjams in the playing rotation."

Who to trade (in some sort of package):
    Walt (Portland needs a shooter)
    TMASS
    Bullard
    a second round pick

NOTE:
    The Bulls are shopping Jermaine O'neal as you know and well some say that a deal for Kukoc is in the making.

MORE TO COME....

[This message has been edited by SOURCE (edited January 31, 2000).]

13. popeye

popeye Member

I am not going to dispute the validity of anyone's sources here, nor am I willing to get into a contest on who should, would or can be traded, however ... :

1. Walt cannot be traded back to the Portland Trailblazers for any number of reasons. This has more to do with the personalities involved in Portland management than anything else. It will not happen.

2. Brian Grant is indeed being shopped, and heavily right now. RT and CD want him. A lot. Other teams also. But it is doubtful we have enough to trade to get him. Pity.

3. Matt Bullard would only be included in a trade out of Houston, if it included a personal improvement on his career. That is not likely. He would retire first. The management knows this and no team will trade for a player just to have him retire. The NBA front office would most likely nullify a deal such as that. They are fixin' to come down hard on trades that have the player refusing to play or retiring after a trade. They are still peeved over the Harper to Detroit to the Mavericks fiasco. Watch for a stronger league ruling on this type of thing.

4. A three-way with two other teams is more likely if the Rockets wish to be involved with some of the teams that are presently shopping big time players. IMHO ... Eddie Jones, Duncan, Grant, etc... will not be traded or discussed until the end of the season. IMHO .... impact players such as Gill, Hughes, McGrady, Taylor, J.Rose, Davis, Rider, etc... on the other hand, may be available for trade right now. Despite what we keep hearing about them. (Example: Miami and new York need to make and want to make some serious moves.)

5. The key to understanding a mid-season trade deadline is to know that a team who wants (or needs) to trade, fall into only a few select camps:

(a). Those teams that are near or at the cusp of contending for a playoff position and need an impact player or an added role player to fill a void and take them to that "next level".

(b). A team that is almost assured of a spot but wants to advance or preposition themselves at a higher level. Similiar to (a) above.

(c). A team that is wanting to unload some weight in their roster,and to position themselves for the off-season trade and draft possibilities.

(d). A team that has an abundance of players at a given position (Portland) or have serious intra-squad disharmonies (Atlanta, Nets) and "need" to move a (or some) player(s), just to keep the roster happy.

(e). A team that depite a somewhat healthy record, or a talented roster or a capable coaching staff just will not advance anywhere this season and need to start looking at themselves through different eyes. Or this may be read that: despite all of these things they still need a serious change in personnel. Maybe all-around. The perfect examples are Washington, Vancover, and the Suns.

{The absence of the Houston Rockets as glaring examples of any of the above (well, maybe #(c)), makes me add another category that will include the Rockets as well as a number of other NBA franchises.}

(f). The team that will take advantage of a sudden fortutious opportunity and make a trade when they were really not looking for a trade. If for example: A franchise wants to unload a future superstar draft pick for some seasoned players. Or, a team offers you an impact player for two or three of your scrubs because they need some bench in a injury-laden season. It happens.

Cheers.

[​IMG]