1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible trade for LeBron James?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HoRockets, Jan 23, 2003.

1. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Source: 'LeBron will never play for the Cavs'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

The Cleveland Cavaliers might have opened up a bigger can of worms after the firing of head coach John Lucas.

Monday's move might have damaged relations with high school phenom LeBron James, the 6-8 senior from St. Vincent-St. Mary who is the projected No. 1 pick in the NBA draft.

Citing a source close to the SVSM team, the Cleveland Plain Dealer reported Thursday that the firing did not go over well with James.

"I tell you what, LeBron will never play for the Cavs after this," the source told the newspaper. "LeBron really likes coach Lucas. He was mad when he heard about it."

James and Lucas' connection goes back to last summer, when James attended a private workout with some of the Cavaliers. The NBA suspended Lucas for two games at this season's start and fined the team $150,000 for a violation of league rules.

Lucas apparently also heard about James' reported feelings about his dismissal.

"I appreciate what LeBron said, but now I want my money back," Lucas told the newspaper, laughing.

James has no control over which team drafts him in June, but if he did not want to play for that team, he has some choices.

A team that drafts a player in the first round owns that player's rights until next year's draft if the team makes the player an offer by July 15. If the player does not sign, he can re-enter the draft and can be selected by any team. James could sit out a year, or according to the report, use the "threat" of not playing as trade leverage.

"Kobe [Bryant] and a lot of other guys have had a say about which franchises they wanted to play for, and this might make LeBron cross the Cavs off his list," the source told the Plain Dealer.

Cavs spokesman Ed Markey said neither he nor team general manager Jim Paxson could comment because NBA rules prohibit discussing players who have not declared for the draft.

The 49-year-old Lucas, who was in his second season with the Cavs and had another year remaining on his contract, was replaced by assistant Keith Smart.

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0123/1497545.html

With the worst record in the NBA, the Cavs may have first pick and possibly face this scenario. It's a longshot, but it's still a shot. Rockets should get in the game if there are trade possibilities.

2. codell

codell Contributing Member

:rolleyes:

Yeah I am thinking the Cavs are going to want a superstar in return (Francis or Yao).

Don't hold your breath. :)

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Man how many superstars and stars do we want on this team?!?!?!?

4. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

What would the Lakers or Knicks want for LeBron James??

5. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

I don't know. How many does Dallas have? How many does Sacramento have?

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

call me crazy, but i'd gladly send the cavs cat mobley and eddie griffin for lebron james and ricky davis...

7. drapg

drapg Member

Anonymous sources have no credibility. If they did, they wouldn't be anonymous.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

the cavs are stupid...maybe we could just trade cat for him. that would give us passing and more size.

on a sidenote....how is lebron's defense supposed to be? all i hear about is his offense.

9. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Rockets are loaded with talent. Right now, I'd trade anybody except Stevie and Yao for LeBron.

10. HoRockets

HoRockets Member

Being that his court vision is one of his best assets, I could see him taking over the point like Magic did. The future lineup for the Houston Rockets:

PG - LeBron James
    SG - Steve Francis
    SF - ? (depends on trade)
    PF - ? (depends on trade)
    C - Yao Ming

This would probably fix the attendance problem in Houston. :D

11. fatman510

fatman510 Member

Theres no way that we are going to get Lebron. We just dont have any players that Cleveland would want for such a toted player besides Francis and Yao, and I guarantee you, those two will not be traded.

12. Sane

Sane Member

Who knows. If Francis continues to not "get it", then maybe Lebron is the Rockets' future?

If they do win, and select Lebron, then Ricky Davis is available. Is he at all better than Cat? Would we be interested in swapping Cat and MoT for Ricky Davis and Jumaine Jones?

13. Mobes05

Mobes05 Member

Oh yeah, you guys "would" trade Mobley and Griffin for LeBron and Ricky Davis. You guys say it like the Cavs would be dying to do it and we would be getting ripped off.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I will quote coach Ron Courtney, who led Willowridge to two state championships: "Offense puts people on the stands, DEFENSE wins you championships. Which one do you want?"

15. verse

verse Contributing Member

:D

actually, ricky's not too well liked in cleveland, so he's gonna probably be gone in the offseason regardless...and you do realize that if lebron says "trade me to houston" (which is like, slim & none) then they'll look at that deal in a different light.

oh, and to clarify, i'd toss in anyone else they wanted save for yao and steve...

16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Lebron will not be a Rocket. The best thing they could offer was Eddie Cat and a future #1. Yao or steve isnt worth lebron. Cleveland may do that if they were forced to trade it since Lebron dosent want to play there If Lebron gives the O.K there is no way cleveland would do anything but draft Lebron. Regardless of what happes lets just hope the kid stays out of the west unless hes in houston.

17. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

His high school games are alread being televised. You think anybody is going to trade LeBron James and miss the marketing hype and attention that comes along with this kid?

Yeah, you pass up the next "Michael Jordan" and there'll be a mob waiting outside your office, led by the owner.

18. Sane

Sane Member

Here's the way to look at it. Think about what other teams will offer, even if he FORCES a trade, and ask yourself "Can we do better?".

Portland will offer a boatload of players. Portland would even take Illgauskas off them.

Memphis can offer lots of young talent. Gooden and Swift for example.

Dallas might offer Finley and Lafrentz if Cuban doesn't like losing in the Playoffs.

Utah could offer Kirilenko and Stevenson.

But the best deal would come from Minnesotta. Wally Szerbiack, Troy Hudson, Rasho Nesterovic, and Terrell Brandon's contract for Illgauskas and Lebron.

I can't see why they'd take Griff and Cat. Maybe if we offered Griffin, Cat, Boki, Rice and a top 10 pick within the next 3 years (or 2 consecutive 1st rounders in year 3 and 4) for Lebron and Ricky Davis.

Cat is a cap friendly player who they can deal when Wagner's ready. Griff is an addition to the rebuilding .Boki is an addition to the rebuilding. Rice will (by then) be on the last year of his contract which would free up 10M in cap space. Our pick(s) is pretty damn good too.

19. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Rocket 83:- You are one giving into the "hype". Its better to wait and see. The 'kid' is v.good playing other High Schoolers and has potential. Yao Ming and Francis are our future, we would not trade either for 'Le Bron the flash'.

20. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Besides Cleveland, about the only team with an honest to god shot at getting LeBron IMO is Toronto.

You could count Chicago, being as they drafted Fizer, who played the same position as Brand (WTF was Krause on?!?!?) and he's STILL NOT starting!!!

Honestly, Memphis doesn't need another guy like LeBron, with Gasol, Battier and Gooden on the roster.

I don't think VC will be in Canada much longer, so look for James to lease the title "Air Canada" soon, maybe.

Then again, it could turn into another Stevie/Canada/"I don't wanna play in this sorry ass country" scenario (no offense).

If not CA, maybe Milwaukee, Golden State, Miami, or Atlanta.

I still think Toronto is #1.