1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possible Rotation for Next Season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lakersuck, Jul 11, 2013.

1. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

First of all, let me just say that I absolutely love the team that Morey has assembled. Trade or not, I'm completely happy with going into next season with the guys we've got and if they can get their chemistry going, I think we can be a top 3 team in the west, no homer.

So with that said, I thought I'd make a thread about a more detailed look on how our rotation will look like next season. I'm interested to see what other people think will be the best way to utilize the players we have on the team and go for a top 3 seed. I know that most in game rotations are situational but what I'll suggest is just a prototype of how I think we can best utilize all the key guy's strengths and therefore maximize our wins.

General in Game Rotation (by minutes at each position)

Lin/Bev
    Harden/Garcia
    Parsons/Casspi/Garcia
    DMO/Smith/Asik
    Howard/Asik

Detailed Rotation

Tipoff to 4 mins remaining in the 1st qtr (8mins)
    Beverly/Harden/Parsons/Dmo/Howard

This is the starting lineup. We have Howard and shooters out there to work an Orlando-esque halfcourt set or a Harden-Howard PnR if we can't run the break. Of course, just like last year, the priority will be to push the break whenever we can since they're all still fresh and it's best to get those easy points. Harden will be the primary ball handler with DMO, Parsons and Bev spotting up from 3.

4mins left in 1st to end of 1st (4mins)
    Lin/Garcia/Casspi/Dmo/Howard

With the last 4 mins of the 1st qtr, it'd be nice to give Harden, Bev and Parsons a quick break since they've been going after those fast breaks. Around this time, the other team will start subbing out their starters too. This lineup is basically Linsanity+. Lin and a pick and roll big man in Howard + a bunch of shooters on the floor. Let them run the pick and roll all day like Lin did in New York only this time with Dwight Howard and against a subpar lineup. Damn that's gonna be sexy.

Start of 2nd to 4 mins into second. (4 mins)
    Lin/Garcia/Parsons/Smith/Asik

Once again Lin is running the show, driving to the lane, dropping to the bigs down low or kicking it out to the open shooter. Parsons and Lin should look for the fast break whenever they can. Hopefully Asik can learn to outlet pass effectively to make a lineup like this even more dangerous. Lot's of good 2 ways players all around.

4mins into second to 8 mins into second. (4 mins)
    Bev/Harden/Casspi/Smith/Asik

Harden's had a long breather so he's ready to come out and blow-up again. Pushing the break is still the priority given how deadly Harden is in the open court. PnR with Asik a possibility too.

8mins into second to halftime (4mins)
    Lin/Harden/Parsons/Dmo/Howard

A fresh Howard and Parsons and a rested Lin come back-in and go all out before the halftime break. This lineup is just an offensive onslaught. The floor will be soooo spread out with those 4 shooters and Howard in the middle. Either Harden or Lin Pick and rolls with Howard(or maybe even with each other) would be extremely effective with all that space in the lane. Lin, Parsons and Harden will push the floor and run the break whenever they can just like last year.

Start of 3rd to 6 mins into 3rd.(6 mins)
    Beverly/Harden/Parsons/DMo/Howard

Start the half like you started the game.

6mins into 3rd to end of 3rd. (6 mins)
    Lin/Beverly/Garcia/Smith/Asik

Sort of similar to the bench we had last year but waaay better. Again, give Lin the reins and let him be aggressive to the basket.

Start of 4th to 2 mins into 4th (2 mins)
    Beverly/Harden/Garcia/Dmo/Howard

Give Lin and Asik a quick breather. Harden PnRs or Howard Post-ups with plenty of shooters on the floor.

2mins in the 4th to Final (8mins)
    Lin/Harden/Parsons/Asik/Howard

End the game with your best possible lineup. Loads of scoring options both on the wings and inside. Two amazing inside defenders and rebounders pack the paint to make it hard for the opponent to score inside. Parsons, Harden and Lin are a lot more rested than they would have been at this point last year so hopefully they can keep up the defensive intensity. If Parsons can go back to playing defense like he did in his first year, that would be amazing.

Final minutes:
    Harden: 34
    Howard: 34
    Parsons: 32
    Lin: 26
    Beverly: 26
    Motiejunas: 24
    Asik: 22
    Garcia: 18
    Casspi: 8

This is just my suggestion on how this team can get the most out of the minutes of each of the players. I tried to keep the players with redundant skill sets away from each other and I always left a scorer and a good defensive big on the floor. Of course this isn't considering other tactical moves like A small ball lineup with Parsons as the 4 or more time with Dwight and Asik together or Tjones. Again, this team is amazing and I'm just so pumped up for next season <3 Thoughts?

TL;DR : This season is gonna be awesome!

2. omgTHEpotential

INB4 'where is T-Jones'.

3. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

Switchable with Dmo or maybe they can share minutes. Depends on how his 3 point shooting looks by next season.

4. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Nice moniker.

5. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I think Asik will get 4 to 6 minutes a game playing with Howard.

Lin / Bev
    Harden / Canaan
    Parsons / Cisco
    DMo / TJones / Smith
    Howard / Asik

That's 11 players that I think will get fairly regular minutes. If Canaan plays as advertised I think you'll see him get minutes at the 1 and 2 positions. Cisco will probably get time at 2 & 3 positions while Parsons will probably see time at 2,3 & 4 positions. I think DMo wins the 4 position which leaves TJones and Smith to fight for the scraps. Howard and Asik obviously get every available minute at the 5 as long as they are healthy.

6. Moonscope

Moonscope Member

Isn't there 12 minutes in the 4th quarter?

7. Lihao

Lihao Member

lol nice catch

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You propose to close each game with Asik and dwight? Pray to God it isn't a close game that comes down to FTs

9. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Beverley is a starting caliber point guard, but then again, I don't think Mario Chalmers is either. That said, I think it would be interesting to have Lin and Asik come off the bench and play together as a top notch second unit. If they are going to keep the team as is, I hope they at least try that out at some point. While it seems like not the best allocation of resources, there are many teams have expensive guys on their bench because they don't deserve playing time. I think this would actually help maximize Lin and Asik's effectiveness.

10. rayfantastic

rayfantastic Member

"Where is T-Jones"

11. lakersuck

lakersuck Member

Oh thanks, I had a feeling something was wrong haha. Make that last one go for 10 mins then.

12. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

but the real question is, is it

laker suck or lakers uck?

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

btw harden howard and parson all play more Beverly, Garci and Asik all play less

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Barring major trades or roster shakeups-

Final 15 man roster-

PG: Lin, Beverley, Canaan
    SG: Harden, R. Williams, V. Blue
    SF: Parsons, Garcia, Casspi
    PF: Jones, D-Mo, Smith, Cooley
    C: Howard, Asik

Waived: Anderson, Ohlbrecht
    Signed in training camp: V. Blue, J. Cooley

10 man rotation:

PG: Lin(22), Beverley (23)
    SG: Harden (34), Lin (8), Beverley (6)
    SF: Parsons (24), Garcia (15), Casspi (9)
    PF: Jones (20) Parsons (10) D-Mo (10) Asik (8)
    C: Howard (32) Asik (16)

Bench reserves: Williams, Smith
    D-League: Canaan, Blue, Cooley

15. Beebo1911

Beebo1911 Member

I 100% agree with this one. I think cannon , Vander blue and Cooley will tear up the D League this year

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yep. Cooley and Blue have been the 2 biggest standouts (other than Beverley, Jones, & Smith) so far in Summer League, and definitely look like they could develop into legit NBA players.

Cooley- energy big off the bench, hellava rebounder, knows his role on offense, & Hockey Goon.

Blue- Has legit NBA 6th type man scoring potential. Definitely worth taking a flyer on IMO, and seeing what he can do in the D-League for a few months.

Canaan- Have yet to see of course, but alot of people are really high on this guy. Chad Ford seems to think that he could see Canaan potentially beating out a player like Jeremy Lin eventually in a year or so.... but we are just gonna have to wait and see how good this guy is.

17. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

yeah im going with this one too...i really liked the bev/lin/harden line-up at times...you add chandler and dwight and that could be our crunch-time line-up...for all the trolling that goes on here about bev and lin, i think they both play really well together

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People putting Casspi as the backup 3 are missing the boat.

Garcia will be the 6th man most likely and the first guard/wing off the bench. He'll backup Parsons and Harden most likely with Reggie Williams and Casspi fighting for minutes. Casspi is going to really need to show something in camp to get minutes.

I also highly doubt we will see any significant time of Lin at the 2. Zero most likely.

10 Man Rotation:
    Lin (28) / Beverly (20)
    Harden (37) / Garcia (7)/ Williams (4)
    Parsons (28) / Garcia (13) / Casspi (7)
    Jones (17)/ DMo (17) / Parsons (10) / Asik (4)
    Howard (33) / Asik (15)

Something like that with variation obviously based on whether Reggie Williams shows anything, Canaan shows anything (I expect DLeague) and I didn't pick a starter between Jones and DMo. (Impossible before preseason camp)

19. OTMax

OTMax Member

I like this except I hope Camby stays in shape and we trade Smith / Anderson for him. I don't think any summer league guys stay so I hope we still have a shot at Neal / Jamison / Young.

I'm hoping for this roster:

Lin / Beverley / Canaan
    Harden / Young / Williams
    Parsons / Garcia / Casspi
    Jones / D-Mo / Jamison
    Howard / Asik / Camby

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Camby was unhappy about his playing time in NY but you think he wants to come here and be 3rd string behind Dwight and Asik? He'd never see the floor.