1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Possibility of trading Gordon

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sealclubber1016, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Because we are over the cap I don't think the Rockets are as hot to trot to move Anderson only to shed his salary.

However I know for a fact that the Rockets have talked to teams about Gordon and he is an avenue that would allow the Rockets to potentially improve.

Hypothetically if the Rockets moved Gordon for a starting SF, they could then sign Ellington to team with Anthony to make up the production lost by Gordon. Ellington is an elite high volume three point shooter.

Another possibility is moving Gordon and Anderson in a deal and getting a better return, and then use the MLE on Anthony or to add someone like Len or Ellington.

There is more to the story on Gordon and the Rockets than has been made common knowledge.

2. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Nope.. whenever i did see him play, never saw him posting up. Only saw him doing what he does now... shoot and attack the rim. Only thing i remember from his pre-Rockets days are more mid-range shots.

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Just thinking a bit here...maybe it’s already been stated.

Anyone think that the talk of a possible Gordon extension may be because another team wants him on a longer contract?

4. finsraider

finsraider Member

Highly unlikely Ellington comes here for the minimum, so that leaves a massive hole at backup guard.

The goal should be to add a quality SF without giving up Gordon or any significant assets, which is why everyone keeps coming back to the Bazemore/Anderson swap.

I think I've become more comfortable with this potential trade as it shouldn't preclude you from making a big deal down the line, so long as the cost isn't significant. In other words, Bazemore could hold down the fort while we continue to look for upgrades.

If we can somehow come out of a Bazemore/Anderson swap while keeping Zhou Qi, Melton, all of our first round picks and role players, then that puts us in nice position going into the trade deadline.

CP3 / MCW / Melton
    Harden / Gordon / Green
    Bazemore / Ennis
    Tucker / Melo
    Capela / Nene / Zhou Qi

That's still easily the #2 team in the league, and your powder is dry for a big deal at the deadline.

5. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

This team can beat GS with homecourt argubly

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

In theory, I agree with this, but I'm not in favor of acquiring Melo. I do want to retain Eric Gordon.

7. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Who is available as a starting 3-D SF who we could swap EG for?

8. finsraider

finsraider Member

Maybe....maybe. I lean towards no.

GSW, on paper, is in better shape going into next season than the season they just finished.

Steph / Livingston / Cook
    Klay /
    Durant / Igoudala
    Draymond / Jerebko
    Cousins / Looney / Bell

They will have a better starting lineup and a better bench. We've got to get a needle mover to get to their level, and we may even have to accept that that may not happen this year.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Ellington would like cost the MLE or a large portion of it.

My understanding is that so far, Atlanta is taking the position that they like Bazemore.

If you cannot get Bazemore, then you start looking at players like Batum and Carrol and others.

10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Gordon has been great. Few players could do more for us.

11. Erbnwarfare

Erbnwarfare Member

Love ,Korver,Melo would make us the worst defene in the league

12. aroundtheblock2

Batum has a HORRIBLE contract. Thats why Portland got rid of him in the first place.

Demarre Carroll is an expiring deal which is really attractive to the Nets. There's no deal to be made between the Nets and Rockets that doesn't result in the Nets taking on money they don't want. The Nets are looking to have as much space as possible going into next summer. Demarre Carroll also isn't THAT good.

13. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

EGO is a GREAT guard defender...I think with Melo here getting rid of Ryno should be key not EGO...only thing I don’t like about Gordon is when he drives and gets a body on him, he gets glued to the floor with no lift. If he has full run he can fly as we all know.

But EGO, Capela, Harden and CP3 is our big 4...pretty dam good 4 if you ask me..

saleem and Hakeemtheking like this.
  14. aroundtheblock2

I hoping the closer we get to the trade deadline the easier it'll be to trade Ryno. Right now I assume teams are still uncertain what they'll get in 2018-19 season from their squads, once they have a better idea of what they've got they can plan better for 2019-20.

There will be a group of teams that know they won't be competitive in 2019-20 and will be more willing to take on Ryno's contract.

seeingredtx likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Batum is a terrible contract, so is Ryan Anderson...... the Rockets will be operating above the cap for as long as Paul and Harden suit up. The length of Batum's contract is likely less of a concern under the circumstances.

The Nets already will have substantial cap space in 2019-2020 and by that point, Gordon will have one year left on his deal. Not to mention that Gordon would not necessarily end up in NJ.

DeMarre Carroll is a solid player, no he isn't an all star...... then again, neither is Eric Gordon.

16. MeloMan15

MeloMan15 Member

What is Batum's contract like? I think he would be a good player to target with Anderson and would fit well with the lineups we have. But he is on a terrible contract. Dont know if we would eat that.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets aren't likely to want to just dump Ryan Anderson's salary his contract is one of the only ways that the Rockets can add a major piece. I suppose the Rockets could dump him with substantial draft capital for a trade exception, but that hamstrings the Rockets as well when it comes to improving the team. The most likely scenario is the Rockets dealing Anderson for another player with a similar or longer contract that fits the Rockets needs better than Anderson. The only reason the Rockets would only dump Anderson is because the owner bulks at the tax bill.

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

EG is trade bait for Jimmy buckets when the time comes

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

That is completely understandable. Last year I was all for getting Carmelo because I figured he would be willing to adjust and play a certain role for the team to try to win a championship. Then he was traded to the Thunder and it looked like he was completely unwilling to change and that was disappointing (though, really not surprising).

If Morey does end up bringing him in, the hope is that Chris Paul can convince him to accept the role the coaching staff gives him whether that role is to score in isolation, spot up at the three-point line while CP3 and Harden create open looks, or come off the bench and team up with Eric Gordon to score in bunches.

I would like to believe they all go over this before picking him up. We'll see, though.

saleem likes this.
  20. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

Getting rid of Eric Gordon would be the biggest mistake for Houston, although yes he does have cold spells where he goes completely off he is a very valuable playmaker and good defender. He cuts, moves without the ball which is vital for a good flowing offense. I don't even think having a jimmy butler would be much of an upgrade over him tbh because the guy is just tailor fit as a 3rd fiddle. He's on par with a Lou williams type scorer and very near a Klay thompson type of production. Just doesn't have the name otherwise the guy is fit to be an all-star in terms of production of a 3rd star on a team.