1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Port Rich wants to become the 51st State

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Jun 11, 2017.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

2. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

So now they'll finally start paying income taxes?

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Only if the Congress approves statehood. Right now, no way a GOP Congress votes to add 2 Democratic Senators.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I wouldn't presume they would be Democratic senators

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Super broke and very curropt. Pass

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Then by all means let's add Puerto Rico as the 51rst state.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You sure there's no reason to presume that?

That said, I'd let them in.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Anybody watch that crappy show the 100. This is like when Skykrew wants to become the 14th clan.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

This is the same thing that happened in 2012. Only 23% voter turnout means that the House/Senate will ignore the vote. Those in PR who oppose becoming a state actually call for a vote boycott, instead of a vote for nay - for some crazy reason.

TL;DR - Nothing will come of this, again.

Major likes this.
  10. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

admittedly not very knowledgeable on this issue, so i cant say i have an opinion one way or the other. but if puerto rico gets statehood then why cant guam and american samoa? would it open the door to all the other territories demanding statehood too?

11. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

They can all demand statehood all they want, but it is up to congress to let them in. A vote of solidarity would maybe help sway votes in Washington, but I doubt it... this isn't a new controversy by any stretch, it has been going on for more than a century. We took over PR in 1898 during the Spanish–American War.

12. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

A couple of years ago, Puerto Ricans voted for statehood in a referendum, while simultaneously voting out the sitting governor who was in favor of statehood.

So, as far as I am concerned, they had their chance at statehood and blew it.

Besides, we don't need another left-leaning state.

13. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

The first two seasons were very good. The previous two have been watchable but nothing special. #MakeThe100GreatAgain

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if the vote was independence vs. statehood i wonder how they would vote? if they voted for independence would the united states release them? probably not.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lots of interesting takes from the "Taxed Enough Already" crowd regarding American citizens that don't have statehood.

No Worries likes this.
  16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree that Puerto Rican's can't seem to figure out that if they want to force a vote in Congress on statehood, the way to do it is an overwhelming vote in favor, not a 3 way split that merely confuses the issue. The part of your post that I quoted is the worst reason not to do it. It is a miracle that the people there aren't rioting in the streets and worse. Ignoring the problems there is unworthy of the USA, in my opinion.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

97% in favor because opposition to it refused to vote. This isn't any kind of mandate to press for statehood. This is a pretty convincing argument that they don't want statehood. Puerto Rico does not seem to be in a tenable position though. They fear acculturation if they become a state, they fear poverty if they become independent, but right now as a territory they have massive debt issues the federal government will not help them with. A couple of senators could help send pork their way if they had any.

18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What does Puerto Rico bring to the table other than being test site for military weapons?

20. edwardc

edwardc Member

Let them in they already are citizens.