1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Popovich - "we live in a racist country that hasn’t figured it out yet”

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Feb 12, 2018.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you sure? I'm asking sincerely because I genuinely think we plateaued in the 90s and started becoming more divisive in terms of race and ethnic relations ever since 9/11/2001. The divisiveness accelerated when Obama was elected also.

2. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I created this thread and you're dead wrong on your last point. Pop took it too far that was the exact point of this thread, that's it. The looney liberals wouldn't accept that and just like you they turned it into a ipaman and others are racists. That and they are a joke.

3. fchowd0311

You aren't racist. You just never have a clear coherent premise and jump and move goal posts around like they are made of paper mache.

Nook likes this.
  4. Buck Turgidson

How much of this do you attribute to the internet? Are people more racist, or is the racism just easier to broadcast?

I honestly don't know.

mdrowe00 and fchowd0311 like this.
  5. ipaman

I'm not a party zombie like you and many others here. I have diverse, well formed, opinions that come from me not party. You and others prefer the comfort of being put into a box and your opinions manufactured, force fed to you.

6. fchowd0311

I doubt you've experienced an ideological bubble that is the complete opposite of your world views as I did for four damn years living in Marine Infantry barracks.

7. fchowd0311

The interent definitely highlights the issue AND recruits.

8. ipaman

Add SVG to the apparently growing list of liberal idiots NBA coaches.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...-ncaa-maybe-the-worst-organization-in-sports/

He claims the one-and-done rule is racist LOL!! I guess this stupid ass is calling David Stern and the NBPA racists because they created and agreed to the rule respectively. Hopefully the NBPA President (Cliff Paul's brother, who's black) calls him out for his asinine and accusatory comments.

Just for the record, I hate the one-and-done rule, it's anti-American. Nothing good at all imo about the rule. Also, the modern day slave masters that are the NCAA can suck a bag of dicks.

9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Why do you give a ****? They're not creating or enacting governmental policies. They're not legislating.

Do you also get pissed when your plumber doesn't have "good" political opinions?

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Wait....Van Gundy claims the one and done rule racist and you object. Yet you call the folks who are responsible for that rule "slave masters".

Nook and Harrisment like this.
  11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You got caught in his whackadoodle 'reverse' race baiting.

Not sure if he takes those remarks serially himself. It's more like he smells hypocrisy but can't pin the tail on the donkey

12. ipaman

well they are but ncaa has nothing to do with the one-and-done rule dingus. i guess you're just as bright as svg which is my point exactly, he, you, just about everyone else is another liberal idiot confusing things.

13. ipaman

i'm dead serious, ncaa is modern day slavery AND svg is an idiot. but as a looney liberal i'm not surprised you and the others can't follow.

14. ipaman

because both are doing it during basketball time not off days or off-season. i prefer my basketball press conferences to be about basketball. also in this case, it's just flat out wrong to call david stern and the nbpa racists. that's an inflammatory lie that demands an apology.

15. eric.81

LOL... ok. Agree to disagree, I guess.

I think that Stan Van Gundy (and any other American) can talk about absolutely whatever the hell he or she wants to... Your criticism feels especially needless when you consider that SVG's employer (i.e. The Pistons and the NBA) are completely fine with it. It's not like it's happening during the game, inhibiting your ability to enjoy it.

Let freedom of speech be free, bro. You don't like what someone has to say, you don't have to listen.

16. ipaman

of course he can say whatever he wants and so can i. so you think stern and the nbpa are racists for creating and approving the one-and-done rule?

17. bobrek

Considering you consider me a liberal, it goes to your intelligence as well. It's not hard to understand all sides of an issue and make choices accordingly. It's not hard to not be in lock step with a political party or agenda based on one's political preference.

Again, you compare NBA owners to slave owners, thus implying players are slaves, yet your comments aren't racist. SVG suggesting that not allowing a player to go directly to the NBA (and correctly identifying the vast majority of those players who could/would do that as black) while baseball players routinely go from high school to professional baseball with no complaints is, in your opinion, racist.

18. ipaman

i'll ask you the same question, do you think stern and the nbpa are racists for creating and approving the one-and-done rule?

please answer because that's what stan the man is claiming.

and yes, i've already answered that i think the ncaa is racist but we're not talking about the ncaa because the one-and-done rule has nothing to do with them so let's stay on topic.

19. eric.81

What I think doesn't matter. There are plenty of unqualified people shouting all kinds of political rhetoric at or near me that I don't agree with. The only bits of it that bother me come from people with actual power... not my plumber, mechanic, co-worker, convenience store clerk, or even my NBA coach.

Do I think that Stern and the NBPA were deliberately and overtly being racist by creating the one-and-done rule? Probably not... but if I was an 18 year old NBA prospect that couldn't avail my services to the highest bidder for no other reason than basketball was my sport, it wouldn't seem insane to me. Perspective matters.

In that vein, and I could be wrong, I would venture to guess that you've talked to fewer young, elite African American athletes than SVG has. He's a head coach in the NBA and you're (like me) a Clutchfans commenter. Although I hold the latter in absolute esteem, I'm probably going to inform my basketball opinions with the former.

Deckard likes this.
  20. bobrek

I am not as familiar with the entire situation as SVG, so I don't have the insight he does. As a fan I've never given it much thought and at face value it doesn't fit the definition of racism. That being said, to deny someone an opinion is ridiculous, especially someone who has first hand knowledge of the league and its rules.

Why is it OK for you to think an organization that you have no intimate knowledge of is racist, yet SVG can't voice his opinion regarding the organization he works for when ASKED A QUESTION BY A REPORTER?

Deckard likes this.