1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poor Dennis Rodman :(

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Mar 28, 2012.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20....rodman.ap/index.html?sct=hp_t2_a12&eref=sihp

Rodman could go to jail if he can't pay child support

ORANGE, Calif. (AP) -- Flamboyant former NBA star Dennis Rodman has been told he could face up to 20 days in jail unless he pays some $860,000 in child support. But his lawyer said he's made payments and will fight to have his contempt of court finding overturned.

Rodman appeared in an Orange County court Tuesday for sentencing but it was postponed to May 29.

Rodman, 50, was found in contempt of court in November for failure to pay child support for his two children.

His ex-wife, Michelle Rodman, 44, contends that he owes more than $860,000 in child and spousal support. Rodman's attorney, Linnea Willis, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that he owes far less, if anything at all, and she will provide the family court judge with evidence of his payments.

Rodman always has paid support "to the best of his ability" and will continue to do so, she said.

"We're filing a motion to vacate the contempt finding," Willis said. "There's been no determination that he's even behind."

A message left for Michelle Rodman's attorney, Jack Kayajanian, was not immediately returned Wednesday.

The case is being heard in Orange County, where Rodman lived for more than a decade before moving to Florida. He was ordered in 2010 to pay $50,000 a month in support, although that was later knocked down to $4,500 a month.

The contempt finding was based on the larger figure, which Willis has disputed as unrealistic.

In court documents, she indicated that Rodman was broke but on Tuesday she said he earns more than $100,000 a year from appearances.

"Obviously he doesn't make what he made as a player but he does do well for someone who's retired," she said.

Rodman also pays child support for another son.

Rodman, who has struggled with alcoholism and tax problems, was a bad-boy star of the Detroit Pistons and won three NBA championships with the Chicago Bulls. He also played for the Los Angeles Lakers. He was as well-known for his wild behavior and Technicolor hair as for his rebounding.

Rodman dated Madonna, was married to Carmen Electra, and gave loud parties that led to frequent run-ins with the law while living in the wealthy town of Newport Beach for over a decade.
    He sported face jewelry and a relatively somber black shirt during his court appearance.

In 2008, he pleaded no contest to misdemeanor spousal battery for striking his then-girlfriend, Gina Peterson. He was ordered to undergo counseling and to perform highway or other physical labor.

He was inducted into the NBA Hall of Fame last year.

2. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Very very sad.

A man that could make tremendous adjustments on court so that he became one of the greatest defenders of all time could never make the adjustments he needed to in his personal life. I hate that for Rodman.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's well documented he has an alcohol problem. I think he needs to fix that first.

4. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

What kind of child support requires $50K per month? The order was issued in year 2010 and he owes $860K now. Assuming that was 30 months ago, that averages over $28K a month. The law and order in US surprises me sometimes.

5. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

He has female bodyguards no lie saw him at men's club last yr during final
    Four with them he was realcool

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

sry tinman too tired to read. but i'll give my opinion anyways! i dont know about this particular story, but these child/spousal support claims have gotten absolutely ridiculous. 860,000 dollars? why does the female almost always get the benefit of the doubt, she gets the kids, the house, she gets paid every month.

too many moms take that money and the kid never sees it. maybe i am biased, i read accounts of cps abuse so often i have lost all faith in the system built to protect the children.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I thought he had the bulging dick condition too. :p

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He's a pathetic character. Not hard to see this coming.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This.

But these guys come from nothing to riches & back to nothing. The partying and the women almost always play a role in their financial demise. Old story with a different name. Still sad.:(

10. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

50K a month in support is just stupid.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Gold diggers are just as scummy as the athletes they sleep with. It's sad to see that really, the only victim in all of these cases is usually the child. They grow up without a father, and with a mother who sees them as an asset, as opposed to a person with needs.