1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Type of player to add: Combo-guard, Rebounding Big, or SF shooter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Feb 16, 2017.

?

Type of player to add: Combo-guard, Rebounding Big, or SF shooter

1. Scoring/playmaking Combo-guard

23 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. Rebounding Big 4/5

62 vote(s)
    56.4%
  3. 3pt Shooting/scorer wingman

25 vote(s)
    22.7%
  1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@heypartner, I would like the Rockets to self correct their shooting posthaste! Otherwise, #MOAR shooters!

heypartner likes this.
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's definitely easier to find. And agree with you in how that plays out on the court.

3. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

BOBAN! Would love for this to happen.

4. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

We need Scotty Padgett

5. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

I'd go for PF/C. Need a shot-blocking rebounding big. Would love to get O'Quinn or Hernangomez from the Knicks.

6. OTMax

OTMax Member

It's pretty clear that we lack a true big man. Gordon, Harden, Bev & Ariza at the wing is solid enough, though preferably we get anyone to take away time from Brewer and can replace Gordon / Bev when they're injured.

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I like this trade, except I would keep Dekker and add in Harrell instead since we are getting Noel. No room for Capela, Noel, Nene and Harrell on the active roster, while we could still use Dekker a great deal. And if we made this deal, I would then move Bev to back up Harden exclusively, 10 to 15 mpg only to keep him healthy. To me his injuries are always because he plays too hard for the minutes he is given. I don't want him to play less hard, so reducing his minutes is the best option in this case to me. You can still keep Gordon's minutes down by splitting them with L. William.

I don't think this trade get's us over the hump to be a threat to defeat the Warriors without some serious help or getting on a crazy roll, but I would be happy with it.

8. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Im of the belief that SG/SF/PF combo "WING" is the greatest need for this current Rockets team.
    According to 82games.com "Production by Position" break down of some Rockets

PG...............played predominantly by Beverley/Harden/Gordon
    ..........................................Bev (PG 48% of time with a +230)
    ...............................................Harden (PG 44% w/+234)
    ...............................................Gordon (PG 0% w/-14)

SG.................played predominantly by Harden/Gordon/Brewer/Ariza
    ................................................Harden (SG 31% w/+101)
    ................................................Gordon (SG 51% w/+257)
    ................................................Brewer (SG 8% w/+36) vs 2nd/3rd team players
    ...................................................Ariza (SG 1% w/+6)

SF..................played predominantly by Ariza/Gordon/Brewer/Dekker
    ...............................................Ariza (SF 62% w/+309)
    ...............................................Gordon (SF 4% w/+18)
    ...............................................Brewer (SF 23% w/+92) vs 2nd/3rd team players
    ................................................Dekker (SF 6% w/-19)

PF...................played predominantly by Ryno/Harrell/Dekker
    ................................................Ryno (PF 57% w/+221)
    ................................................Dekker (PF 34% w/+77)
    ................................................Harrell (PF 0% w/ -2)

Center...............played predominantly by Capela/Nene/Ryno/Harrell
    .................................................Capela (C 35% w/+38)
    ..................................................Nene (C 29% w/+188)
    ..................................................Ryno (C 2% w/+7)
    ..................................................Harrell (C 31% w/+168)

Each position has some question marks.
    PG) Probably the only defender of small quicker PG's is Bev. Bobby Brown could supply offense; but plays
    .......not defense in a, "break the glass in case of emergency" situation.
    SG) Harden/Gordon representing this position well. I can't stand Brewer.
    SF) Rockets depend too much on Ariza as noted by %. Dekker is a non factor at SF. I can't stand Brewer.
    PF) Its make or break with Ryno & Dekker.
    C) Log-Jam at this position with Nene/Harrell producing enough offense to over-shadow the defensive flaws.
    .....Much like Harden at PG & Gordon at SG.

Rockets will have to live w/ the 50% of made 2-pt FG's is the equivalent to 33% of made 3-pt FG's rule.. Rockets will have to limit baskets at the rim, by team effort defensively......& hope to make more 3-pointers than the other teams.

Answer: Aminu type player (Swiss Army Knife....multi-position player)

http://www.82games.com/1617/1617HOU.HTM

#28 Jatman20, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed. Rim protecting 5 is the most important piece. But for the very reasons you state, 3-D back up is critical if Ariza is going to provide anything in post season. And team is in a shooting slump right now so the back up combo guard appears to be just as critical if not more than the other 2 positions.

If looking for elite replacements (huge multi-team multi-players big dollars):

3-D Wing: Nicolas Batum, Jimmy Butler, Aaron Gordon
    Rim Protecting Big: Serge Ibaka :)(), Nerlens Noel, Hassan Whiteside
    Scoring Combo Guard: Eric Bledsoe,

Back ups via Trade (improve depth, bad contracts or chemistry changing moves):

3-D Wing: PJ Tucker, Courtney Lee, Wilson Chandler
    Rim Protecting Big: Tyson Chandler, Kostas Koufos, Kyle O'Quinn
    Scoring Combo Guard: Tyreke Evans, Lou Williams, Nick Young

D China Euro-Gold (just sign dat ace):

3-D Wing: Elijah Millsap, Hollis Thompson, JaKarr Sampson, Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Anthony Brown, Wayne Selden, James Webb III
    Rim Protecting Big: Larry Sanders, Andrea Bargnani, Eric Moreland, Josh Smith
    Scoring Combo Guard: Jamaal Franklin, Gabe York, Quinn Cook, Jimmer Fredette, Vander Blue

Jatman20 likes this.
  10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I wouldnt.

D-rock likes this.
  11. valorita

valorita Member

I hate this but have to admit that Bogut fits the bill for elite rim protector and rebounder.
    Sets good (illegal) screens, is an expiring vet with championship experience.

Wonder if Dallas would take Brewer + Harrell for a 25 game rental of Bogut + filler

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

This team already had less offensive and total reb than opponent teams in more than 50% games in regular season. This would be an awful situation to win any series in playoffs.

13. rockets13champs

Theres no bigs available

My trade rankings

1. Galo
    2. Tucker
    3. W. Chandler
    4. James Johnson
    5. Seth Curry

14. rockets13champs

When is the last time hou and dal made a trade we might get romo and bogut from them in a span of 2 weeks....

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=h3a3hbq

15. Garner

Garner Member

When I think about actual playoff matchups, how is not a wing? All GS does is throwing wings at you.

How many minutes you want Brewer on Klay Thompson?

16. photojoe

photojoe Member

The obvious choice, to me, would be trying to get Tyson Chandler and PJ Tucker from the Suns. Both of those guys are older and Phoenix is terrible and needs to do a complete rebuild. They should be looking to trade their veterans for young players and draft picks and Chandler and Tucker shouldn't be part of the rebuilding process. Although both of them are starting to show signs of declining, they are still good players and above average defenders. Together they would help with our interior and perimeter defense. We have a first round and 2 second round draft picks we could use as well as young players like Dekker, KJ, Harrell and Onuaku to try to get a deal to work. And then try to find another PG for depth.

That is what makes sense to me but unfortunately it looks like Tucker might be available but Chandler isn't.

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We're going to play Memphis in Round 1. Forget about the rest of the potential matchups. We will get completely manhandled unless we acquire more size.

18. photojoe

photojoe Member

Yes Bogut fits with what we need. But man I hope that doesn't happen. I can't stand that guy.

D-rock likes this.
  19. photojoe

photojoe Member

I appreciate all the thought you put into this post.. But did you put Bargnani as a rim protecting big?

20. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

We need a big who can do damage more than anything. Capella is just not going to cut it. We either keep Capella or Nene but not both. Our perimiter D will improve significantly if we get a capable big man. Heck I would be happy with bringing Deandre Jordan home at this point. We don't need even need a Cousins just an enforcer who can rebound block shots and use his body in there.