1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Should/Will Francis be suspended?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tyree, Mar 21, 2004.

Tags:
?

Steves comments=Suspension?

1. Yes, he should and will get suspended

93 vote(s)
    30.2%
  2. No he shouldn't but will get suspended

102 vote(s)
    33.1%
  3. No he shouldn't and wont be suspended

94 vote(s)
    30.5%
  4. Yes he should and no he wont be suspended

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Tyree

Tyree Member

I dont think he deserves to be, but will...thanks Janet

2. BranJ17

BranJ17 Member

No he shouldn't. You can't put a microphone in a guys face in the heat of a battle and expect him to not be p*ssed. If you didn't see that coming then you are blind. If you are going to fine and suspend players for getting mad when a guy puts a mic in the player's face then they should ban those people from being allowed to have interviews during games and directly afterwards.

3. Tyree

Tyree Member

Follow up:

At least francis apologized before the start of the half, was funny hearing the ref talk smack back to francis..

4. DRose

DRose Member

the refs arguement sucked.

5. DRose

DRose Member

jim grey should be the one that gets in trouble. he was like stalking francis. francis tried to leave and grey kept following him.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even though Shaq's tirade was FAR WORSE (he had just won the freaking game, had time to cool off, and saw the camera focused on him the entire time).... Steve was sort of blindsided, and had just been shalacked on the floor on a fast-break.

But, the NBA is going for a zero-tolerance rule, despite the context... just like if your player is literally getting the s**t kicked outta him right by your bench, if you try and help him... your'e suspended.

7. Man

Man Contributing Member

I don't think he should be suspended...but I think he will be fined at least and will be suspended. UGH.

8. Summer Song Giver

What'd Steve say. I'm watching over at Ch.51. GB Bill and Calvin

9. DRose

DRose Member

he said this is bull**** if the refs keep playing this way we wont play this way

10. Tyree

Tyree Member

these are the worst refs/announcers ive seen in a long time......the refs arent calling a thing on the Kings and everything on the Rockets....and the announcers keep talking about Francis with his comments/apology

11. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

at this point in the game.. rockets have 16 fouls, kings have 8 fouls

rockets 9 free throw attempts, kings 23 FTA

hmmmm :rolleyes:

12. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

What Nick said.

In the long run, this is just water under the bridge. In two weeks, we'll be worried about making the play-offs. Not some comment Francis made.

13. Tyree

Tyree Member

in the long run the refs hate us...we never get breaks from them. WE have not earned their respect beacuse we whine and b**** so much. Its frustrating every time I watch the Rockets play because they dont usually get fair calls and b**** and whine more....its a lose lose situation

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

What exactly happened?

I'M at work, cant watch the game :mad:

15. DavidS

Yep. Makes you wonder about some of our players.;)

16. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What kind of statement is that? Vlade is a known flopper and whiner (he just got T'd up for doing it) yet I doubt the Kings have been on the receiving end of bad officiating as often as the Rockets. The players can't help it if the NBA wants to favor certain teams.

17. DavidS

I wasn't talking about Vadle. I was taking about Francis always complaing to the refs. This wont change, or at least he hasn't shown it. He leads the NBA in technicals. That's tells you something.

So, in agreement with Tyree's post. That's what we have to look forward to "in the long run (more complaining to the refs)." Although, any suspension/fine will be a moot point.

And I think that some teams get "favor" because the players on that team have shown that they can adjust to the refs game after game. That's a something the Rox have a hard time doing.

#17 DavidS, Mar 21, 2004
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2004
  18. birat

birat Member

He surely deserves that...

but the refs as well for making crucial bad calls.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Karl Malone has led the leauge in techs before, so has Rasheed Wallace.

Are those guys on the same level? No. Leading the league in techs is overrated.

Steve isn't a "bad guy", but he's quickly getting that image from the league.

Problem is, Steve is a veteran and feels like he's getting even less respect now than in his rookie year. The refs, however, see Steve as a guy who hasn't been to the playoffs, and needs to do something more to get their respect.

Its a vicious cycle... just like people who eat because they're unhappy, and they're unhappy because they're fat.

20. MacBeth

MacBeth Member

I detest the oft cited argument that certain teams/players haven't 'earned' calls, by virtue of not having been in the league long enough, not being stars, whining too much, whatever. Refs are hired to officiate, not to excerise their prerogative regarding players' status, temperment, or tenure.

But I will say this, as a realist; being as I am a Raptors fan as well as a Rockets' fan, I can tell you that, as wrong as it is, when a player gets into a beef with the refs, unless he plays in NYC, Chicago or L.A., he will pay for it almost every night. Vince Carter has had an ongoing feud with refs, and he gets screwed every night. For example, tonight against New Orleasn the Raps got to the line 30 times...and the Hornets 60. Yeah, sixty. Just another night at the office.

So, as much as it shouldn't be that way, I would advise Steve to cool it. Carter has never done anything like this in public, and he's wearing a bullseye, so I don't want to imagine what will happen to Francis. Circumstances and stature are a bit different, but it's still probable that the refs will exact petty retribution.

Officiating needs to be cleaned up, and it has to start with removing the concept refs have that players are supposed to earn their respect. Screw that, make the call, do your job. Leave the evaluations to fans and scouts.