1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Should I get a dog?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by swilkins, Jan 15, 2009.

Tags:
?

Should I get a dog?

1. Yes

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    51.7%
  1. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have been bouncing this around off and on for 2 years.

Then I date this girl last night and somehow it gets mentioned and she really got sad.

"You've never had a dog?" :confused:

"Nope" :/

"Everybody should have a first dog" :( :(

"hmmmmmmmm" :eek:

What types of good memories do you have with your first dog? I'm talking about the one attached to YOU that YOU took care of. Not the family dog where you were just another affectionate family member. Been there, done that. Those dogs destroyed everything. That sort of played a part in why I just blew it off for 23 years on my own.

At 41 now, I am considering it.

You can also recommend a dog. I here the retrievers are the best.

I'm seriously considering this. I know some dog lovers and I just never understand why, but I want to.

Thanks

2. no_answer

no_answer Member

You want your place to smell like pee? Want your carpet eaten? Want your other expensive things eaten? Want to have to find a babysitter when you go out of town? Yes? Get a dog! ;)

I like dogs and I've had several in my life time, but I don't want to own one until i'm old and desperate for companionship.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Do you have plenty of time to give it attention? Get a cat otherwise.

4. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

I recently sold my golden retriever after owning it for the past 5 years.

The occassional accident on the carpet sucks, but what I was most annoyed at was the inability to crash at friends houses or go out of town without finding a kennel (holidays are tough sometimes).

You lose a bit of freedom, especially if you're single.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Why? I could never sell my dog

Owning a dog takes a lot of time. You have to pay a lot of attention to it, especially when it is a puppy, and you have to train it. You can't just leave town whenever you want to and you have to come home every day and after a night out to let it go to the bathroom. Factor in walks, excercise, vet bills, etc...

However, to me it is totally worth it when you come home everday to a dog that is extactic to see you no matter what...

Dogs rule, but it is a lot of work as well

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If you want to avoid some of the "work" involved, just get an adult from the shelter. You can find one already housebroken and generally past the destroying-everything-in-the-house phase. Plus, god knows there are a ton of dogs out there that need a home.

7. Rocket1

Rocket1 Member

Many factors to be considered.

Do you live in a house or apartment?

Do you work 40+ hours a week and if so is there anyone that would be at home during that time to take the dog out?

Do you have the patience for things getting destroyed? (chewed, slobbered, dirty)

If you live in an apartment and work 40+ hours a week I would say no. Don't get a dog. It's not fair to the dog. Get a cat.

If you have a house with a big backyard with lots of room to run around, can be patient with them as a puppy, and are willing to give it a lot of attention, then sure go ahead.

8. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I vote no. Let your hypothetical first dog go to someone who is SURE they want it.

9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

10. cson

cson Contributing Member

Talk the chick from the date into getting a dog. Win/Win.

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

get one if you're going to take care of it..... not lock it in some cage while you're away, thats some ****ed up ****

dog is a huge responsibility, i highly recommend that your decision be based on your own judgement, not on the opinion of this board

if you decide to be a dog owner, it'll be a great joy in your life, a companion with unconditional love

best of luck to you :)

12. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

If you have to start a poll on a website, my vote goes for no.

13. Tb-Cain

Tb-Cain Member

After my divorce and after my oldest went to live with his mom, I moved into a smaller apartment. I also work all day, so it didn't seem fair to the dog.

He went to live with other dogs on a few acres, so I felt good about it.

14. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Unless you have a burning desire (doesn't sound like it), and are willing to accept the huge responsibilities, don't do it.

I would start by going to shelter and play w/ the dogs a bit. See if you feel a connection w/ any of them...not necessarily to find a specific dog, but if you will have a deep connection to dogs in general in your home. It's not worth the hassle to yourself or the dog if you don't.

15. swilkins

Hypothetical first dog?

I'm only asking for feedback. I like dogs. I just have never owned personally.

Next time you are on the fence about something, I'll jump in and respond as if it really doesn't matter anyway because you wasn't already 100% in. I do realize that it take love and attention. I'm not a kid.

It's a poll. Lighten up.

16. swilkins

That's a good idea.

Thanks.

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Yes. Dogs are cool.

Althoooouuuuugh. Watch what you get. I picked up a dog a couple of years ago and all he did was turn my back yard into a war zone with mortar depression everywhere. Damn, that dog loved to dig!

But I got him from a pet foster home. This is a good thing because I had a year to decide if I wanted Joey (dog's name). After 9 months of refilling every mortar hole in the yard I sent him back to the foster home.

He was a great dog, but damn the holes.

18. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Dogs are awesome, but if you have to start a poll on an internet site on whether to get one or not, you should not get one.

19. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It looks as though you took unintended offense to my post. Maybe you're the one that should lighten up.

I mean, you had a problem with my use of the term "hypothetical first dog", as if that was something derogatory...

:confused:

#19 ClutchCityReturns, Jan 15, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009
  20. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Also be sure you can live with dog hair on everything you own unless you get a breed that doesn't shed.

I love labs and golden retrievers, they make great dogs, but you and everything you own will be covered in dog hair.