1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll Question - Please Respond

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Aug 18, 2000.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I thought of this one last night as I was switching back and forth between the Democratic Love Fest and the Comets game.

Please state your age and then respond to the following question:

Do you believe that, in your lifetime, you will ever see a woman or a member of a minority group become President of the United States? Why or why not?

I will begin.

I'm 39 years old, and I do not believe I will ever see a woman or a member of a minority group become President, because I feel there are just too many barriers of prejudice & intolerance to overcome. I would hope the generation after me sees it happen.

------------------
    Bring It!!

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I'm 27, and a Jew will take the office of V.P. in the middle of January.

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

3. knits stekcor

knits stekcor Member

Jews aren't a race, correct? I'm 19, and I think both will happen. But I think a minority president will happen before a female president.

------------------
    I will demonstrate my clutchness this November.

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

I'm 29 and I do think there's a good chance that both a woman and a minority will be elected within my lifetime.

Jews are a race (although I do think the word "Jew" has sometimes been used to describe people who have chosen Judaism). Lieberman is both.

I didn't think atheists could be prophets Achebe. [​IMG]

------------------

[This message has been edited by TraJ (edited August 18, 2000).]

5. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

29 Latino male. 5'11" tall and weigh 180. Brown eyes and a great smile. I like..oh sorry. Had a flash back to my girl chasing days.

Anyway, I don't think that we will see either for the next 50 years. If I live to be 125, maybe. But I really doubt it.

But, if Bush gets in and passes some civil right laws or anti-discrimination laws like the Republicans always do, then MAAAAAAYBE we might see white candidate with a great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great uncle who was on his cousins mother side that was African American get on the ticket. But that is unlikely also since we don't need laws to even it out for minorities according to some around here. [​IMG]

------------------
    I Want To Thank God For Making Me A Rocketfan

6. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

I am 34 years old and yes we will see a minority and a woman on a major ticket in my lifetime. They will be on a republican ticket.

------------------
    Houston Rockets Forever!!
    In Rudy We Trust

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I'm 17 and do believe that a woman and a minority member will be elected president within my lifetime.

I'd even wager on seeing a female minority member getting elected.

BTW, wasn't Abraham Lincoln Jewish?

------------------
    WE WILL WATCH THEM FALL... Next year :(

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm 29, and it wouldn't surprise me to see a minority or woman elected president within my lifetime.

The thing is, there are people who can transcend race. People like many of our sports stars (Michael Jordan, especially) or Colin Powell, etc. Most people don't think of Jordan or Powell as African-Americans, they think of them as Michael Jordan and Colin Powell. And I think a person who is able to transcend their race like that could be elected president, possibly within the next twenty years.

Personally, I think that a woman actually may have a harder road in becomming president. So many of the stereotypes regarding women are hard to overcome and so many people view women who are tough enough to fight for the presidency as b*tches rather than admiring their drive and ambition or appreciating who they are.

Now, if I were picking the people who could be president, there are several women and minorities that I would be glad to vote for. But I don't know that there are enough people like me to make it possible for a woman or a minority to get elected. Again, though, I think it depends on the person specifically as to whether they have a chance or not.

------------------

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Age 29, Caucasian, Yes.

There is no question that, yes, we will have a minority in the White House before I die.

I believe a White Woman would have the best chance at President. You would have a very united voting block and fewer racial barriers. If Ross Perot can get 20% of the vote, then I'd say we are ripe for a minority. You would need a face that the public is very familar with. Someone like Hillary would stand a chance. You need that conservative element. Someone like Susan Surandon would get blown away.

A Black man could do it, but he's got to be very conservative. Maybe a Denzel Washington type. I think you need someone who everyone is very comfortable with. No unknowns.

A Black Woman has a very limited chance, but somebody as well loved a Oprah could make a run at it. You would need someone who has some fame attached to them.

I think you are sadly mistaken if you think that a minority will not win an election. It is very possible and right around the corner.

I would be willing to wager that it happens within the next 5 elections. The candidates this year are very strong. Assuming Gore wins on incumbancy. He will take 8 years. If Bush runs in 2008 he will likely take that election. Then, in 20012, or 2016 the oppotunity will be there. It can be done, that is, of course, unless you all vote me in.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

10. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

We atheists call it gambling. That way we don't fall prey to the 'Jesus hates the Jazz' problems in sports theology. [​IMG]

------------------
    I've posted so much that what I say must be true.

The latest on Maurice Taylor

11. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

RACE: White
    POLITICAL STANCE: Conservative Centrist

Yes, to both questions.

I agree with PhiSlammaJamma's assessment.

(Yes, Jews are considered to be a race.)

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

12. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think there will be a President of a minority group elected eventually, it's just a matter of getting the right candidate. Whether that happens during my lifetime remains to be seen.

Oh, but I don't think there will be a woman or openly gay President. People are too close minded for a gay president(I think). There would be few women candidates and they would be picked apart by everyone.

IMO

------------------
    I am so exasperated that I could expectorate.

[This message has been edited by CriscoKidd (edited August 18, 2000).]

13. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

One thing I know is that Racial change has always been slow to come about.

I mean blacks were thought about during the making of the Bill of Rights, but were ommitted. It took 100 years, and a civil war to allow them the ability to be full citizens.

Then another 100 years later it took massive civil unrest to move some semetism barriers.

Being a 26 year old half asian Male...My assertion is that No, I will not see it.

I think even if a strong political candidate were to emerge who was a minority, he automatically starts off way behind anyone he would run against (assuming he ran against a white person).

Perception of races (or profiling) almost kills any chance.

I think a woman would have a chance before any black, asian, or hispanic would.

My 2 cents.

------------------
    "I have amazing, powers of observation"...Pink

14. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

age 38

I do believe that there will be a woman or minority president within my lifetime.

Most likly - Colin Powell

------------------

15. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

If Hillary wins in NY, you'll at least get to see a woman be the Democratic nominee in your lifetime. I also think that Colin Powell would be elected today if he chose to run. He's the one candidate who could overcome that prejudice barrier.

------------------

16. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I believe that there will be a woman or a minority elected in my time. Change happens, 140 years ago, Blacks were SLAVES, 40 years ago they couldn't vote or drink out of the same fountain, the point being things change pretty radically over time. In 40 years I will be 68, assuming a qualified black candidate or female candidate runs I think they will win.

I don't think Powell will ever run, but I would wager if he did, he would whip up on al bore though, even more than GW will.

------------------

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm 26...I have no doubt that there will be a minority candidate in my lifetime...I'm not certain that there will be a female candidate in my lifetime, but I think it's more likely than not.

The Republicans would have given anything to have had Colin Powell accept the VP nomination this time around...

------------------

18. fatty fat fat

fatty fat fat Member

28, and no, I don't think a woman will be elected president in my lifetime. I do however, see a woman being on a ticket, and being nominated as a democratic candidate.

------------------
    How about the Houston Comets and their quest to become "Quadrepeatchicks!"

19. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

23, Asian. I believe that in my lifetime there will be a minority and a woman elected.

------------------
    "The road to hell is paved with Republicans." :)