1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Less than Zero vs. Dazed and Confused

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Feb 25, 2017.

?

Pick One

1. Less than Zero

10.9%
  2. Dazed and Confused

89.1%
  1. what

what Member

Who wins?

2. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Not even close and I loved the book by Ellis, Dazed is effortless and Less Than is seriously forced..

3. jsingles

jsingles Member

Watched Dazed and Confused the other night on VH1 or something. Pink and Wooderson were solid.

4. what

what Member

Less than zero has possibly the best performances of Jamie Gertz and Robert Downey jr in them. It held a lasting impression on me to this day.

mikol13 likes this.
  5. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I've never seen less than zero

6. what

what Member

Highly recommended

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  7. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

The book and the it's follow up, Rules of Attraction were great reading for a young impressionable mind..

8. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Easy choice for me. Dazed and Confused is in my top ten favorite movies of all-time.

9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Same with me. I do like Less than Zero a lot though.

10. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is a joke poll right?

Less Than Zero is just an awful movie. Dazed and Confused is a modern classic.

11. what

what Member

You think less than zero is awful?

12. the shark

the shark Member

"Less than zero" is a good movie, but it's not in the same league as "Dazed and Confused".

Kind of like comparing the Dixie Chicks to the Eagles (which you did once upon a time).

13. what

what Member

You may prefer Dazed and Confused, but you certainly are way underrating less than zero. Dazed and Confused is a nostalgia film, less than zero wasn't. Also there is no a performance in dazed and Confused that can touch Robert downey Jr's in less than zero.

14. PhiSlammaJamma

Shoot, I'd say Bright Lights Big City beats out Less than Zero at it's own material.

15. what

what Member

I could say the same about a half a dozen movies in the 70s that more accurately portrayed that era than dazed and confused : meatballs for example. Fast times in the 80s.

As far as Bright lights big city, nobody ever talks about Micheal j fox's portrayal of the lead character in that film. It was an okay movie.

16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I saw it when it came out after having read the book and I thought it really sucked by comparison, yes it's a bad movie.

17. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

I think McWooderson in Dazed is up there with RD Jr's acting, although you could say they're both just playing versions of themselves. And Less Than came out pre nostalgia, that didn't really start til about 1994.

18. the shark

the shark Member

What, there's no right or wrong here. Obviously "Less than zero" resonated with you, and just like beauty, to each his own. I did like it (my wife really liked it). Downey did a fantastic job with that character.

"Dazed and confused" was set in '76, and I was a freshman in high school. Linklater nailed it!!! From the characters, to the story (last day of school), to the clothes, the music, and all the little things (playing paper football, calling for shot gun, buying beer with a fake ID, and on and on). Going to get Aerosmith tickets in the morning as a closing scene as young Mitch is laying on his bed, drunk, with "slow ride" blasting on the head phones. Priceless.

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALIGHT

CCity Zero likes this.
  19. what

what Member

That's all I am saying, is give less than zero its due. Also, I do think Dazed and Confused is an exaggeration and obviously the drug angle is a lot of the reason people like the film so much, but I really don't think it can compete with films like the breakfast club or St. Elmo's fire or even Say Anything. I think that Linklater took his subject matter and bastardized it for his own purposes. Whereas john hughes really cared about his characters far more. I see more of the 70s in films like Friday the 13th than I do in Dazed and Confused. Just a fact.

20. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Less than Zero personally. Dazed was just another movie for me.