1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you like the Clint Capela-Robert Covington trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Are you a fan of this trade?

1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

253 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. Caesar

Caesar Member

Capela wouldn't even play in crunch time in the playoffs as usual. I'm good with this trade. Might as well go all in on small ball because there's zero chance we can match up size wise with LA, Denver or Milwaukee or hell, any team.. It's really our only shot. I just hope we get a few more bigs to eat fouls and give our small ball a few minutes rest come playoff time.
    That late 1st swapped with an early 2nd isn't half bad either, at least not as panic bad as people are making it out to be.

2. Handles

Handles Member

We traded out of desperation. The only reason we needed to trade Capela is because we have Russell instead of CP3. Its one move after another that forces our hand.

That said, I think we are a better team today because of this trade. But tomorrow I’m not sure - we lost another first round pick. I don’t think we got equal value in this trade, but I do think we are better today if that makes sense.

Relativist and Easy like this.
  3. bro2044

bro2044 Member

Waiting for other moves, cannot vote yet.

4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

MDA and small ball might be undergoing changes if rockets don't get out the first round of the playoffs.

Didnt think capeala would be traded in an Olympic year but he didn't pan out much for Switzerland this past summer anyway.

5. solid

solid Contributing Member

No, where is the progress or improvement?

6. ThatboyPhuong

ThatboyPhuong Member

I’m not a fan of it unless we get a good center this deadline.

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  7. caneks

caneks Rookie

[​IMG]
    This is for Morey, Wasted everyone's time year after year.

jacoby likes this.
  8. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Yes. I trust Morey will not decimate the Rockets.

9. coyotetex

coyotetex Member

The stupid is strong with this one.

Nook and YOLO like this.
  10. caneks

caneks Rookie

don't be too harsh to yourself.

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

reserving judgement until I see what other pieces we can pick up . If we can pick up another good payer for the 4/5 with the room under the LT we've created then I might like it. If we dont then I'm leaning no. Either way lets hope Clint passes his physical with ATL , worst case scenario is he comes back where he knows he isnt wanted lol ( who knows maybe that puts a chip on his shoulder)

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I like the addition of Covington and it seem pretty clear that a lineup with Capella Westbrook and Harden didn't fit well.

I think the Rockets will be a more versatile team both offensively and defensively as well as more explosive and entertaining offensively.

Only problem is, unless they pick up a player like Looney, Baynes, etc I worry about them getting eaten alive in the paint and on the boards vs the Clippers, Lakers and Nuggets.

They might win games 140 - 100 or lose 140 - 100, but I know poor PJ is going to need a ton of ICE after every game... it'll be interesting to watch.

13. thirdengine

thirdengine Member

RoCo can be a game changer and is worth the $$ he makes. Clint can be replaced for cheap. Giving up the first rounder hurts but who needs draft picks when you have a core of Harden-Russ-RoCo-EGo-Tucker?

Will still miss Clinty tho :(

Swish4fives likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I voted no ... but that could change depending upon what else they manage to do.

First off , I think they gave up the best player in the deal - Capela alone should have landed Covington.

Adding a #1 along with the contracts of Nene and GG - they got no value there.

As it stands now , they did generate 3 small TPE's .... the most significant about $3.9m.

They can add up to $11.03m more incoming salary to the trade (those TPE's would vanish) - Anything above $5.8m puts them in the luxury tax.

I don't like it as is but if they somehow managed to pick up a rotation worthy 4/5 .... that could change my outlook.

darksoul35 and jacoby like this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

Capela and Roco are the same talent wise? Do you watch basketball?
    Can capela shoot 35% from 3s? Did capela make all nba 1st defensive team?

Stop overvaluing a PnR center who can't even shoot a FT.

YOLO likes this.
  16. deshen

deshen Member

Sounds like you think 35% is high for 3pt%, actually it is not, the league average is 35.5% this season.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Sounds like you don’t think it’s a significant %. It absolutely is and he’s capable of higher, as he’s done in previous seasons

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

too soon to judge the trade, really... like others have said, what we do for the 5 spot is critical.

19. deshen

deshen Member

Robert Covington has 34.6% on 3pt this season. the league average is 35.5%. I don't know how average could be significant. I didn't even mention his overall FG%.

20. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

Capela for Covington both teams could argue they gained for their side.

Wasting another FRP to dump salary is another FU Tilman move though. Still holding off on the pitchforks until there's a follow-up move (or lack there of like the last two seasons)