1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you like the Clint Capela-Robert Covington trade?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jacoby, Feb 5, 2020.

?

Are you a fan of this trade?

1. Yes

341 vote(s)
    57.4%
  2. No

253 vote(s)
    42.6%
  1. shorerider

shorerider Member

We flat out did not get equal value in return.

split41 and JuNx like this.
  2. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I would have said "no" EXCEPT....

I'm still disgusted by his performance in game 7 of WCF last year. Draymond did us a favor by exposing how soft he really is.

I like him as a person. Seems like a good guy. But we need more fight in our dogs if we are going to get anywhere.

3. SuraGotMadHops

Reserving my vote until after the trade deadline and buyout market dust settles, I want to analyze this trade in the context of the bigger picture.

I remember I thought we gave up way too much for Barkley in 97, but when we promptly signed Kevin Willis and considered everything together I was fine with it.

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I just realized we gave up Gerald Green in this trade?!

I'm still for it but I'm sure gonna miss that guy!

Streakshooter likes this.
  5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

We were supposed to trade Clint for assets to gain a starting C to supplant Clint and net RoCo at the same time.

We accomplished one but not the other.

+1 for the lux tax savings for Tilly

6. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Wooo! Two new deck chairs for the Rocketship AKA The Titanic.

7. Philter_09

Philter_09 Member

That first round pick itself could’ve got Jae crowder, sheesh.

8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

The other guy makes a good point about being able to win in more ways than one. I'm not sure the rockets can do that. Since we will be outrebounded every night we will be depending on the 3ball even more.....it will be interesting to see if going small leads to more scoring inside because no one is clogging the paint or less because we have no roll man or lob threat. Its also hard to be a good defensive team when you can't rebound. Those Miami heat teams that went small were not good rebounding teams but could get enough where they weren't completely dominated on the glass. This is what i worry about for us. Can our offense be so efficient that getting outrebounded by 20 every game doesn't matter? I doubt it but I guess we will find out soon. Lakers coming up next.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Jae Crowder sucks lol. You forget him on the Jazz again us?

10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't really like it as an initial reaction, it's bothersome that we had to give up a pick to duck the tax, but that's what we should expect with Tilman. The only thing that makes me feel better is that the guys around here who are typically clueless about everything (Melo fans, Faried fans, etc) are the ones who hate it the most, so maybe that means it's good.

YOLO likes this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Our offense should explode so that's good. There is no doubt in my mind that Covington fits our system better, but we did not get equal value. Oh well, we'll see what other moves we have in store.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

I've mentioned this as well lol. it's typically how it works. and for the most part the guys who are liking it are the one's who are the most consistent around here

13. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

I'm gonna miss Gerald Green. It's always sad to trade away a hometown kid. That being said, we paid a heavy price for RoCo but the current team wasn't going anywhere in the playoffs without making big changes.

Streakshooter likes this.
  14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

He'll be back. He had to agree to get traded, and he's out for the year. UFA next year, so don't be surprised to see him here on a vet minimum sort of deal.

darksoul35 and backwardhead like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, we got a redundant piece for an effective big.......

I mean I don't know WTF Tillman is doing but it is not about winning basketball championships.....you might have a good regular season and fool all the casual fans - but you won't win a ring.

DD

16. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

They need another big, and they have 5.8 million in pre-tax room to do it. So do it.

Assuming that's done---Holmes would be great---this'll be a good trade. As it is, it's an Incomplete Pending Additional Required Work.

17. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

I prefer to wait until the end of the deadline to give an opinion. I refuse to believe that we have given up Capela (25-year-old) and our first selection of the 2020 draft to basically get Covington. I have nothing against Robert whom I considered an excellent player, but I read some comments here and it seems that they were talking about the new Scottie Pippen. Take it easy guys!!!

18. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

Just checked out the Hawks forum. They are freaking delirious. ~sigh~

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Of course they got a VERY effective big for a reasonable contract for the next 3 years.

DD

FrontRunner likes this.
  20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m not judging until I see the final outcome of this trade. Will it get expanded? Will other moves be made to supplement this trade? We’ll see...

if this is our only move, then it will be a C- at best in my eyes

the Rockets got the worst value out of the 3 teams involved