1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Point differential telling of a contender?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NL Rocket, Jan 19, 2015.

1. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

"Great teams avoid close games" or something along those lines was said by Morey and others and point differential could probably be a good stat to measure a contender.

I've seen the top teams: Warriors & Hawks have quite some games where they just tore teams apart. We've had a few, but none lately and the Heat were the last one team we beat good.

So let's look at point differential:

Hawks & Toronto in the East are the only impressive ones with +6.8 and +5.3 respectively. In the West you have #1 Warriors with a very impressive 10.9, #2 Blazers with 6.3, then we have Clippers and Dallas 6.2 and 6.0 respectively.

Based on +/- the West standings would be:

1) Warriors
    2) Blazers
    3) Clippers
    4) Mavs
    5) Spurs
    6) Grizzlies
    7) Rockets
    8) Suns

What you guys think? I think it's not saying that much, though it is a sign in the case of the top teams (Warriors & Blazerrs) since they have a low OPP and great defensive numbers all around. Also in our and the Suns case I think it says something, since we have not had a hard schedule and we are supposed to be contenders. The Suns are just not that good, so the +2.3 is a sign of their mediocrity.

Discuss

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Over the last 10 games, the Rockets margin is +5.64 and that includes the shellacking by GS.

Lots of injuries and changes.

3. elainas

elainas Member

It means, that with bad game we still are able close the games.. and its a good think

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I am a believer of point differential. I don't have time to look. But I think historically, point differential has predicted final results better than any single statistical number. This is why I don't think teams like Grizzlies and the Mavs are true contenders.

That said, you have to put injuries into consideration. The Rockets and the Thunder had some early key injuries.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

#5 Mr. Clutch, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  6. Zergling

Zergling Member

We're still not a complete team until we have Terrance Jones and whatever player(s) Morey adds before the deadline. No point worrying about point differential yet.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Our bigs being so bad at FTs holds that down a bit. When we are up and they start hacking Dwigth, or Smith or Dorsey etc, they close the gap some.

DD

#7 DaDakota, Jan 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  8. bmd

bmd Member

Remember the Rockets had a lot of injuries for a good chunk of the season.

The Rockets were winning a lot of close games on effort and hustle.

That's why their point differential is where it is right now.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

point differential shows consistency, and consistent teams are most likely to win a 7 game series. so... i guess it is a stat worth looking at.

10. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Meh, I think wins and losses vs other good teams is a better thing to look at.

11. split41

split41 Member

I'm also a believer in point differential as a contender measure. This team is not quite living up to it's potential. Harden is a beast no doubt, but Dwight needs to be more of a presence and Ariza needs to be able to step up if Harden is not getting the calls or having a cold night. We can't always rely on Harden putting up 45.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Partly yes and partly not.

The reason why I say not is that often in blowouts, teams put in their reserves and back ups. If GSW were winning in a blowout and put in their bench vs any other teams bench, the lead will only rise or at worst stay the same because they are such a well coached team with a deep bench.

When the Rockets are in a blowout win and put in their bench, the lead often goes spiralling down mainly because the Rockets have no structure without Harden due to poor coaching and find it tough to keep up with other benches.

Come playoff time, rotations are usually 8 deep. A better sign of a contender is the point differential of the starting unit vs any other starting unit.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Based on win % on Road Ws / Home Ls the West is:

1. GSW (15-1)
    2. Portland (12-4)
    3. Memphis (13-5)
    4. Dallas (15-6)
    5. Houston (14-7)
    6. SAS (11-6)
    7. NOP (8-5)
    8. LAC (10-7)

Overall, it's

1 Golden State
    2 Atlanta
    3 Portland
    4 Memphis
    5 Dallas
    6 Washington
    7 Houston
    8 Phoenix
    9 San Antonio
    10 New Orleans
    11 Toronto
    12 Chicago
    13 L.A. Clippers
    14 Milwaukee
    15 Oklahoma City
    16 Cleveland
    17 Miami
    18 Orlando
    19 Detroit
    20 Denver
    21 Brooklyn
    22 Indiana
    23 Utah
    24 Charlotte
    25 Sacramento
    26 L.A. Lakers
    27 Philadelphia
    28 Boston
    29 Minnesota
    30 New York

14. watashi315

watashi315 Member

Terrance Jones is NOT the savior of the Rockets. Plus, even if he comes back, it'll take him half a season to really get back into rhythm.

I think this post is very interesting and I'm a firm believer of point differential. Injuries aside, great teams win all the games they should win and those are the teams that usually go deep into the playoffs and eventually win a ring.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Starting one of Tarik Black and Jason Terry and Isaiah Canaan for 20+ games is not good for your point differential...particularly against weak teams where you have an opportunity to run it up.

16. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I wouldn't think too hard about the point differential for the full season, given the injury to Howard. However, I do find it to be a pretty strong indicator of a team's true strength. I would say that #7 in the West is a pretty fair estimate for the strength of the Rockets with Dwight and Bev only playing 3 in 4 games. The only problem? That doesn't tell you much at all about the strength of a fully healthy team.

Over the last ten games, the Rockets are 5th in the West in PD, but against a very weak sched, which again makes it hard to compare to other squads.

It's somewhat encouraging, though, that during a stretch of effort most of us would call "disappointing", the Rockets are maintaining the record (7-3) and PD (+5) befitting a solid playoff lock.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think point differential is a pretty good indicator of future success..

.. but like any stat, doesn't mean anything one way or another.

For a team that lost basically every game in the playoffs last year down to the wire, learning how to close out tight games is equally important.

I think the best "stat" would be some kind of Quality Win stat that looks at each game and takes into account strength of schedule, injuries on both teams, home-road, if new players have joined the team recently, etc. That's virtually impossible for a computer to do, though...

18. FoOLiSh_AzN

FoOLiSh_AzN Member

That was the Warriors downfall last season. No bench. Whomever followed the Warriors last season knew they had a very good starting 5 with Barnes and Green off the bench. Warriors fans even had a tag #Fullsquad for the meaning of this.

About the Rockets, I really believe they at least have a chance to compete with any team in a 7 game serious if they are focused in. Both Rockets stars are well known to zone out at any given time and moment. Both are not well disciplined and gets frustrated(Howard-lack of mental toughness). That may explain why the Rockets point differential are lower than some other teams because both Rockets star DO NOT bring 'it' every single game.

19. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

This comment makes sense.

There are quite a few games that the Rockets played the whole 4th Q as garbage time and our bench guys played like garbage also.