1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Morey on 610 today: talking Lin, free agency & expectations for next year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HMMMHMM, May 8, 2013.

1. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

<span style='text-align:left;display:block;'><p><object type='application/x-shockwave-flash' data='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' width='290' height='24' id='audioplayer1'><param name='movie' value='http://s2.wp.com/wp-content/plugins/audio-player/player.swf?m=1236370442g' /><param name='FlashVars' value='&amp;bg=0xf8f8f8&amp;leftbg=0xeeeeee&amp;lefticon=0x666666&amp;rightbg=0xcccccc&amp;rightbghover=0x999999&amp;righticon=0x772124&amp;righticonhover=0xffffff&amp;text=0x666666&amp;slider=0x666666&amp;track=0xFFFFFF&amp;border=0x666666&amp;loader=0x772124&amp;soundFile=http://download.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d2/dR/dC/dW/12RCW_3.MP3' /><param name='quality' value='high' /><param name='menu' value='false' /><param name='bgcolor' value='#FFFFFF' /><param name='wmode' value='opaque' /></object></p></span>
    http://download.podcast.play.it/media/d0/d0/d1/d2/dR/dC/dW/12RCW_3.MP3

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2013/05/08/daryl-morey-gives-vote-of-confidence-to-jeremy-lin/

Morey obviously wouldn't say otherwise, so take it FWIW, but Morey said he thought Lin had a great year. Produced the 3rd most wins for the team behind Harden & Asik. Said he's the 5th best pick&roll player in the league on 9 pick&rolls a game. Said he's was better defensively than people think/give him credit for, very good at securing 50/50 balls, Rockets wouldn't have made the playoffs without him.

If no major moves are going to be made you can expected a 3-5 win improvement just by players growing, however it's unlikely the Rockets will be as healthy next year as they were this year -- though one of the benefits of being such a young team is being generally more healthy.

Very likely to add a player with cap room. Goal is to be at least a 50 win team next year.

Didn't want to/couldn't talk about Royce White.

Rockets were the only team willing to pay Beverley's buyout. Give credit to Les.

Need to add one more All-Star caliber player to be a title contender. Most likely to be through free agency, though there's a chance it's going to be through trade as well.
    Rockets don't worry too much about what position this player plays, want to stay opportunistic. Would take LeBron, if they'd already have an All-Star SF.
    If they can't add a major piece, probably more likely to add a 1-year piece, let the young players develop and look to add the major piece through trade.

7 people like this.
  2. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Nah ... Morey is only correct if he agrees with the majority of clutchfans that Lin sucked this season.

3. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

4. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

What a LOF Morey is.

5. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I wasn't trying to imply that Morey was lying. I don't think he was making up the numbers he was citing.
    However, he obviously isn't going to say nothing but good things about his players and he does have a history of not being completely truthful (Brooks, Lowry & Dalembert come to mind), so I think you'd be a fool to take anything he says about any of his players without a grain of salt.

Also:
    [​IMG]

6. Nook

Nook Member

Lin does the little things well. He had a solid year. It wasn't Linsanity, but I don't think anyone that was being reasonable expected that. His defense was okay, he really played the PNR well, obviously worked hard on his 3 ball as well. He had a great attitude and I do not doubt that he will continue to improve because he is smart and works hard. You cannot have superstars at 5 positions and Lin is becoming a very good role player, he can also take over the scoring burden from time to time.

15-16 pts, 7 assists and 2 steals is possible next season, especially if we add another stud player.

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I would have expected Parsons to be above Lin, but below Asik in wins.

8. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

In the era of "What have you done lately?", Lin playing injured in playoff obviously screwed up all his effort and positive progress in 82 games.

He'd better off not playing much with injury in last game, but Beverly can't stop Jackson and picked up 3 quick fouls and AB got blown by Jackson frequently...

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Lin (at his exit interview): "Les, Daryl, Coach, I'm sorry, I really stunk it up. I guess I deferred too much to James---"

Les: "Are you kidding? Do you know how much money you made me? I mean, hell, we're going to play pre-season games in Asia. You know how big a market that is? You think I'd've done that without you?"

Morey: (trying not to look sheepish) "Don't worry about your game, you're improving---"

McHale: "Yeah, I can always hide or bench you when you start getting inside your head too much."

Morey: (sotto voce) "Kevin, shut up."

Lin: "So, lots of money, huh? Do I, uh, get a cut?"

Les: "Uh, Jeremy, believe me, as much money as you make compared to Beverly? You make 8 million three hundred thirty three thousand cuts a year."

Lin: "Gosh darn it!"

I'd have to agree on the spoiler. Too bad he isn't around for two more seasons, leading right up to the Kevin Love sweepstakes.

1 person likes this.
  10. pnr

pnr Member

Morey uses another metric besides win shares to calculate wins added?

11. Panda23

Panda23 Member

What would Morey know? You can use facts/numbers to prove anything..

:rolleyes:

12. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Not bad for someone who the vast majority thinks its a 3rd string PG right?

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

He's not making those #'s up but he's not giving all the numbers either...

As far as total contributions to team wins Lin is ranked 4th on the team behind Harden, Parsons, and Asik. And he's ranked 19th amongst NBA point guards in total contribution to team wins... In comparison Harden is ranked 4th in the NBA behind Durant, LeBron, and CP3...

Morey knows these numbers he's just not going to spit them out and make a guy Les gave $25 million to look bad...

14. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

so your saying he is lying?

15. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Biggest thing Lin needs to do is improve his worst, If he could turn his bad games to be mediocre games, it would go a long way.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Interesting that he said Lin produced the third most wins behind Harden and Asik.

Based on Win Shares and Wins Produced, he produced the fourth most wins. Both have Chandler Parsons producing more wins than Lin (7 vs 5.4 based on Win Shares, 9 vs 5 based on Wins Produced).

So, if Morey cites his numbers accurately, either the Rockets don't value Parsons as much as those public stats suggest, or they value Lin more than those public stats suggest.

17. pnr

pnr Member

I think they have more advanced software or something to calculate wins added. I was scratching my head there too thinking lin was fourth.

18. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Morey knows talent when he sees it, that's why he was able to put this exciting team together ~~

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Good interview. Those who acknowledge CF will always be in my good graces.

20. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

I dont morey cares that much about public stats