1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Podcast] Chris Mannix

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jan 26, 2012.

Tags:
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Feel free to merge, lock, or delete. Thanks.

Chris Mannix on 610 earlier this afternoon.
    http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/01/26/mannix-morey-will-attempt-big-free-agency-move/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

Chris, it's Josh and Rich, what's going on man?

What's happening guys? How you doing?

Here in Houston, you try to get excited about the Rockets but we know what they are and what they are at least to us is an average team that's fighting for a playoff spot but nationally, how are the Rockets perceived?

They're perceived as competitive team, sure, but everybody knows they tried to make wholesale changes this off-season. They're still trying to make wholesale changes, whether at the trade deadline or free agency next summer. They're a team that I guess that I view and a lot of others view as a team treading water. Hopeful to maybe make the playoffs to get young players more experience. I think that's always a valuable asset to get these guys into the playoffs, even if they go out in 4 games, to get that experience. But this is a team still on the lookout for more, for something better. Daryl Morey has a reputation as being a gunslinger a bit as GM. I think, no question about it in my mind, whether it's before the trade deadline or this summer, he is gonna do everything he can do to make a splash to bring another name to Houston.

He didn't say publicly but word got out yesterday that they have declined to pick up a handful of options in order to clear some salary cap space. I guess the bottom line being, if they want to get a superstar in a Rockets uniform, they're not gonna have to trade half the roster. They'll have the money to write a check and get that done. How do you rate their chances?

I think Houston is regarded well around the league as an organization. I have heard some players not liking to live there, but others, I have heard positive things about it. They do have a decent young core of players. Talking about Kyle Lowry, who I'll give Daryl credit, a couple of years ago when they made that trade and Lowry seemed like a throw-in, he was preaching from a start that he thought Lowry would be a real factor for this team and a guy who could take over the position in the long-term. They made that trade with Aaron Brooks still on the roster. He was high on Lowry back then and has certainly panned out now. A guy like Chase Budinger I think is gonna be a factor on this team. This team could come together relatively quickly or at least have the making of a very competitive team if they're able to get one of those quote on quote franchise changing players. The natural next question is who is that guy? I'm not really sure. Dwight Howard is earmarked for staying in Orlando or New Jersey or LA. Dallas a dark horse in that race. Deron Williams will either stay in NJ or go to Dallas. Other than that, I don't see a franchise changing talent that might be on the market right now. That could change. We didn't know Deron Williams was on the market a year ago and suddenly he was traded but right now, I think Houston has to wait and let this play out and see who is available.

Rockets suffering at the gates. Only Detroit drawing fewer fans per night. 29 in the league. We opened it up to our listeners as to why that might be and a fair number talked about how they tried to trade half the team. If they're trying to trade those guys, why should I show any loyalty to those guys if they're considered dispensable by the team. Speaking of the trade voided by Stern, I found it interesting that the 2 biggest principles in that deal, Paul and Gasol had a dust up in LA last night. Think it had anything to do with the aftershocks of that non-deal?

I don't think that played a factor in that. I think the biggest factor was it was a physical, competitive game. One of the best, if not the best, regular season games all year. Two teams seemed pretty evenly matched going at it. Paul was frustrated because his team made a lot of mistakes near the end. I don't think Pau Gasol had any malicious intents when he patted Paul on the head. That's not in his character. I think he was saying tough game, good effort, something along those lines. He did it in a way that Paul viewed it negatively. Looking at these two teams right now, its no longer big brother, little brother situation. The Clippers are competitive. This will be a budding rivalry as long as these two teams are playing at a high level.

Its clear they want to blow up the Boston Celtics. Which player is most likely to be moved?

When you look at Garnett and Allen, I dont see them as likely to be moved. They still have value to Boston as expiring contracts. When you take Allen, Garnett, and O'Neal off the books next summer, you're clearing about 37 1/2 million dollars. That's enough for you to land two max players under the new CBA rules. Question is, what kind of offers will be out there for Pierce? I interviewed several GMs and asked them this same question. I don't think Danny will get that kind of offer where he gets a promising young player and draft considerations. I think Pierce remains a Celtic for the rest of the year and come next summer, depending on who they can get, that's when they'll make a more serious decision on Pierce.

We're about 20 games into the Rubio experience. Impressions thus far and upside?

Talking to the president of the Ricky Rubio fan club. I thought this kid has all the skills of being an elite PG. Things he lacks, jump shot and defense, those are things he can learn. His strengths are things that don't come natural. His skill-set is positively Magic Johnson-esque. He really does have that ability to be a top play maker and I think he's only going to get better. Minnesota went from one of the most poorly run franchises in the league to a guy with Adelman at the helm, Love locked up, with Derrick Williams and with Rubio shoring up the most important position in basketball. I think this team is built to win over the next few years and I think they will emerge with OKC as being one of the exciting franchises in the league.

You talked about the most important position on the court being PG. Here you got Kyle Lowry. How is he perceived across the country?

Very well. Certainly not on the elite level but Lowry has been known as a tough defensive minded player. A physical in your face guy. He has added so much to his offensive game in the last few years. This kid will only get better as his skill-set evolves. Hes viewed, I don't know about the All-Star level at this point, but certainly right there, just barely a notch below. He's the kind of PG you can build around. You don't need to look around to find a PG that you might need to be a championship team. You have the guy who I think can handle the position with the right talent around him.

Denver 13-5. Are they that good?

They took on all those Knicks players, specifically Gallinari. I think they became a better team once they unloaded Carmelo. I live and NY and see whats going on. I dont want to call him selfish but he only knows how to play one way. Physical and be individualistic, and knows how to shoot 25-30 times per game. Denver, with the group now, a very complete team. They're a group that likes playing together and seems to play well off each other. Gallinari signing that 4 year 42 million dollar deal, thats an absolute steal for the Nuggets. I think he'll emerge as an All-Star over the next few years. This team will only get better as they grow together. To me, they have the same questions as Philly. They'll win a lot of regular season games because of athleticism and ability to play in the open floor but who is the guy they're going to down the stretch? Who is the guy who will have the ball in his hands and you know will be able to get you a basket in the 4th Q? I dont think thats really defined right now in Denver. Gallinari might emerge as that guy as the season progresses and in Philly, J'Rue Holiday, is someone who they want to emerge but that is the only question with Denver. I think they'll be a dangerous regular season team and a team no one wants to play come playoff time.

Less than a 30 team league, do you believe that is that still possible?

No I don't. Its such an uphill battle to contract a team. You dont contract one team. It's almost always two teams. Who is that second team? Charlotte? Minnesota? There isnt another team out there that you can point to and say they're right for contraction right now. Idea makes some sense on some levels but right now, I dont think thats a viable option on David Stern's desk.

I guess I was thinking Toronto or Sacramento.

I dont know about Sacramento. They're more likely to move. Toronto, they have money up there. They're willing to spend. In a down turn right now but dont think they're right for contraction at all. NBA still wants a team in the Canada market.

Appreciate it.

Anytime.

2 people like this.
  2. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

Chase Budinger certainly isn't a factor at this point. The answers Mannix gave about the Rockets' players seemed very vague. I don't think he really knows much about this team to be honest.

3. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i dont think fans in houston know much about this team.

1 person likes this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

While we're showering love on BT in 'some other thread', let's not forget hsf09's great contributions - - thanks, man!

1 person likes this.
  5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I can't understand this. So if the trade wasn't voided and went through and the Rockets were 15-3, attendance would still be down, based on the "they have no loyalty to these players" theory? Of course not. Attendance is down because Houston fans, on the whole, support winning teams and don't support losing teams as much. Astros attendance has also been down. Football is the exception.

I know some are saying he doesn't know Houston players that well, but this seems like a spot-on assessment of Lowry, notwithstanding the fact that it isn't super detailed analysis.

The Nuggets did make it to the WCF one year... though they got bounced in the first round every other year... but they were making the playoffs.

All true, but was true in Denver, too. Where he made the playoffs every year and the WCF one year. The Knicks are a little thin outside Melo, Amare and Chandler, but with those three and the "ok" supporting cast, in the East (which, at the bottom of the playoffs still sucks), they should be doing better.

So clearly, some/a lot of the Knicks problem is in coaching. Pringles isn't a horrible coach, but I'm not sure you'll find a bigger mismatch between coaching philosophy and player style.

Not that I'm complaining.

1 person likes this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mannix on just awhile ago.

-Daryl is the most aggressive GM in the league. Constantly looking for deals and ways to upgrade the team.

-Kyle Lowry will not be apart of any Gasol deal. If you keep pressure on the Lakers, maybe they accept Martin/Scola deal or Martin/Scola/filler deal(Martin/Scola/Budinger deal or Martin/Scola/Dragic deal)

-A Dwight rental is right in Daryl's wheelhouse. They dont have the assets to match a NJ or Lakers offer. They have assets that far exceed what the Rockets could offer. Longest of longshots in a deal like this.

-Melo worth a phone call but not sure that call gets returned. No way Mike is back. They're waiting to see how Melo looks with new coach/new system.

-A tactical move by Dwight by saying he wants to stay for this season. Doesnt want to go to NJ if they have to strip the team to get him. Dwight/Deron not enough to win the East or maybe not even get out of the 2nd round. This is a power play on his part so he doesnt screw with his next team. 30 million that he might have to give up is chump change to him. No question he'll make that up in Adidas deal.

-He would make a hypothetical Asik/Lee deal. Low risk move. Courtney not part of the Rockets future --an expendable asset right now.

-Daryl has done a good job. Got screwed by Stern. He had a plan in place. He has been a victim of circumstances in some ways but Daryl is a very well respected GM and think he'll ultimately get the job done out there.

http://houston.cbslocal.com/2012/03/14/morey-is-a-well-respected-gm/

http://houston.cbslocal.com/?podcas...=true&config_file=config.xml&dcid=CBS.HOUSTON

4 people like this.
  7. onreego

onreego Member

repped.

8. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Funny how Lee has never gotten a fair chance to show what he can do as a starter, is the type of player who could work well under McHale and is expendable. Ow Morey...

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He started nearly every game after the all-star break for the Orlando Magic in his rookie year and nearly every game in his second season with the New Jersey Nets.

He's not a 20+PPG scorer. He's a quality wing player and elite perimeter defender. Most elite wing defenders are not primary scorers to say the least. Lee is at least a reliable scorer at 10 to 15 ppg in a starting role.

He's a good player, but not someone whose capable of creating his own offense. The Rockets know EXACTLY who he is as the starting SG. A contender would view him as possibly the missing piece to match with their cornerstone player. The Rockets, dont have a cornerstone player.