1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please try to contain yourself

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RockingRox, Jan 7, 2009.

1. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

This is my first thread. I've never been so compelled to say something, so please forgive me for the poor English expression.

First of all, I'm a Chinese and firstly a Yao fan and then a Rockets fan. I've never been that much of a TMac fan, even when you count in that 13-points-out-of-35" miracle.

But I have to say a few words on behalf of TMac.

IMHO, many IDs on this BBS have gone too far in bashing Tmac, as if it's a free ride. PLEASE... try to put yourself in Tmac's shoes (-- I know, they don't fit your :( ). That man's left knee is still suffering. I was in the game yesterday at the Sixers. Tmac played damn well in the first quarter with scoring, assists, and also moved quite well. As the game went on, I realized that when the Rockets were shooting free throws, he started to hold on his knees and shook them back and forth as if he wanted to shake something off. At that point, I knew his knee was bothering him.

Please give him some benefit of the doubt. Give him some room and time to let him heal the knee, or you may say, and his mentality. Maybe, with Von Wafer playing pretty well, we should just shut down Tmac for a month or two to just let him recover back to his superstar self.

I just cannot imagine how far a Rockets team can go in the playoff without a healthy TMac. And he won't go away anyhow in the next one and a half years. Bashing Tmac too hard won't benefit the Rockets a bit during that period of time.

Thanks for reading.

2. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

you know something's rotten when the Yao fans are trying to protect McGrady.

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Couldn't agree more, with what I think you are trying to say. With how this team is built, with out TMAC being healthy when the playoffs arrive....we stand no chance in making the 2nd round.

4. ibm

ibm Member

post of the night. :cool:

5. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

You might be right but you don't want the Rockets to be rotten, do you?

6. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

I was at the Sixers game too and TSlack was a net negative. He made bad shooting decisions after his start and was VERY LAZY on defense. There is simply no excuse for that.

Note how much better we looked on defense in the Celtics game without TSlack on the floor?

7. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Yeah, I've tried to put myself in his shoes...and all I can say is that if I got paid over $20 million a year to play the sport I love as my job, then the least I would do is TRY

8. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

Ok, I will try to contain myself. So far, it has been difficult, but thanks for the encouragement.

Big shoes.....big feet.

9. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

I simply see it as people generally deriving pleasure or otherwise just indulging themselves from kicking someone when he is down. And then you add the bandwagon effect, and it just gets out of control. Even when people attempt to actually discuss basketball -- you have a thread discussing team defensive problems and then a random post appears about T-Mac's contract. Funny enough, people who keep bringing up his salary/contract don't realize how pathetic their words are -- a simple variation of "he's far richer than I can ever dream to be, so I'll try to prop up my own mental insecurities by slandering him as much as possible while he is weak".

Many of the threads frankly amuse me. It's too obvious. At the end of a huge win like tonight's, instead of celebrating the return of the team's long lost defensive identity, people are intently watching for the second or two the camera pans to the Houston bench to try and see what expression is on McGrady's face and how they can berate him for it. And then they're orgasming all over themselves starting new threads about how "disgusted" they are because he wasn't jumping up and down like a little kid.

Get over yourselves, people. Really.

10. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Thanks for posting :)

11. Landlord Landry

I seriously thought Mcgrady was giving as much as he could yesterday, it just seemed like his body was failing him.

maybe Grady is just a dam fine actor.

I do, however, think he has approached this whole situation the wrong way.(mentally and verbally)

have you ever noticed how thin Grady's legs are? I noticed it the other night.....compared to hayes, landry, scola, even alston and brooks. Grady's legs are extremely thin for a man of his physical build, maybe it means nothing......just an observation.

12. HowsMyDriving

HowsMyDriving Member

i think you are way, way off with this.

not all of us are disappointed in mcgrady the person. i think some are, but really, he's a person with faults just like any of us. i think those of us who are upset with tracy are upset with tracy the basketball player. dont forget that the rockets are a product, and we are the consumers. if we don't like the product we are being sold, it is our right and duty to voice that opinion, or the product will not improve. the nba is a business. we are the customers. i dont like watching a team full of broken players take the floor and bumble around every night.

tracy had his knee scoped. that's it. there are players that are back from a scope in a matter of weeks. it's been how long since tracy had surgery? how many months did he spend doing nothing instead of rehabbing it in the offseason? he had a perfectly good chance to work in the offseason so that he would be 100% for the regular season, but he chose not to. because he's tracy, he probably thought he would just play his way back into shape without strengthening it up first, and now he's paying the price for that laziness. and you know what, the entire team is paying that price. and we, as fans are paying that price. all because he did not take his job seriously.

he is a basketball player. his job is to play basketball. is it unfair that I want him to take his job seriously?

keep in mind that many here are Houston Rockets fans. not tracy fans. not yao fans. i dont care one way or another about either of them. but as long as they are on my team, they need to do everything in their power to represent the franchise as it deserves to be represented.

13. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

This is a great post. We bash T-Mac so much because we think Rocks NEED him. We want him to entertain us with his talent and to bring wins to the Rox. For whatever reasons, he is just now himself right now. Since currently Wafer plays better than TMac, shutting down TMAC is a good idea. Let him heal both physically and mentally until his is REALLY ready.

14. Omer

Omer Member

Yeah the thing is everyone wants to hate on T-Mac...but they know we aren't gonna win anything without him.

Love-hate relationship.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

RockingRox, great thread. Food for thought. If you didn't speak from your Rocket loving heart, I would have blown it off. I'll have to pay more attention to your posts.

16. zilches

zilches Member

Excellent first thread, RockingRox.

I, admittedly, don't know so much about this sport, but I think the Rocket failure to live up to pre-season expectations blame has been disproportionately dumped on McGrady.

In reality, we are a team lacking in talent and athleticism. And, even our few athletic players are undersized for their position. We do fine in some of the fundamentals - defensive rebounding, free throws - and fairly well in wide-open 3 point shooting which helps us overcome our lack of athleticism.

I like that old American-Indian saying about "not judging a man until you have walked inside of his mocassins" - or something to that effect. As much as Rocket fans have been disappointed about the Rocket performance this year, McGrady has been living with less than stellar team performance for the whole of his career. He must be human, and that can surely be demoralizing. And not being in his body, I can't begin to know how he feels on the court, or even if he will ever play well again. And, of course, I have no idea what is in his heart. It certainly has appeared that he has been half-hearted, but who am I to know for sure?

Aside from that, what I have seen in Rocket games thus far is the lack of talent and athleticism (and injuries). I see...

Yao - frequently out of breath, missing easy shots, settling for lay ups rather than slams, stripped of the ball, slow reactions, unable to hold on to the ball and unable to move for rebounds (he is an excellent player after all that, which says a lot!)

Rafer - still essentially worthless, totally poor shooter

Battier - not much of anything this season

Brooks - improving, but in a recent shooting slump

Artest - injured, lots of silly turnovers and questionable shot selection

Scola/Landry - performing more or less as expected, but not any dramatic improvement over last year

It will take far more than McGrady or Yao for the team to succeed this year. It will take LOTs of hustle, determination, team-work and chemistry to overcome the obvious lack of talent and athleticism.

I think that all fans expect McGrady to step up and inspire his teammates with this. He is paid well enough to do that. And, I think if he just does his best he won't be judged so harshly. With the lack of talent surrounding him, no one will hold him accountable if he just does his best.

17. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Actually I do think that T-Mac deserves some criticism, as he did not handle this situation the right way and reacted poorly to his frustration over physical limitations. There are things that he needed to correct with respect to his attitude. That said, some people on this BBS have gone way overboard with the T-Mac bashing and it's out of control -- they just beat down on him because they enjoy being able to sit in front of their PCs and insult someone else in as many ways as possible without fear of retribution (have you seen some of the disgusting anatomical references lately?). It's easy to see how out of hand things have gotten when you have a thread asking whether T-Mac would ever have the heart to foul out of a game the way Artest did after a big win. Yes, the thread starter was quickly shot down, but it's just a symptom of the mass hysteria that has engulfed the BBS.

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

At least Mcgrady gives some of that 21M to starving people in Darfur... Its not like we just threw it out the window.

19. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I too have been surprised at the level of T-mac bashing. This is the same guy who's practically been the only player showing up in the playoffs, since he's been on the team.

Remember him shutting down Flopitski? He was doing it all and stopping Dallas' best player.

Sure, that was a few years ago, but T-macs given a lot to this team. I think this is more of a coaching problem. If he's hurt and can't go, then he needs to sit out until he's not hurt. This in and out of the line-up thing is what's causing the drama.

I'll bet that the same people that say trade T-mac for Andre Miller :rolleyes: probably said Yao should be traded too, when he struggled in the playoffs. It's hard to have much credibility when you argue from both sides so frequently.

20. BruceHR

BruceHR Member

many Rox fans bashing tmac is greatly due to his laziness in defence, not his injure-prone. We all know his left knee is not well healed. Also Rockets have given him alot of time to rest, at this point, I dont think this is a problem(recently he had made a agreement with Adelman and Morey, only play one game in back to back games). Rockets give him that privilege, but when the games he play, no heart, no soul, as a team leader he leads us to give in at Toronto. How would you feel? Now many Rox fans want to trade tmac, Im one of this group. My reasons are simple:
    1--> Based on his poor behaviour on the court, he doesn't deserve 20 millions/year.
    2--> He is lack of leadership characteristics.