1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Please Start Cutino Mobley

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by francis23, Dec 2, 1999.

1. francis23

francis23 Member

Cutino has proven throughout the season, and especially the last three games that he deserves to start. Anderson Is Killing the Rockets with a Capital K! It seems like he doesn't know what plays the Rocks are running half the time. Cutino and My Boy Steve Francis would form one of the deadliest young backcourts in the league. Just think about it they would both complement each other, as they do when both are on the floor, if francis wants to score well then he scores, if francis needs help bringing the ball up through a trap Cutino is there, and if Francis aint filling it up then Cutino will be or hopefully the both will be.

PLEASE START CUTINO MOBLEY I AM GETTING SICK OF WATCHING SHANDON "DISSAPPOINTMENT" ANDERSON!!!

------------------
    "Heres Francis quick crossover left to right,
    Oh he Burns Stoudamire, and flushes it in Pippens Face"

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Why? Cuttino is a good bench player. He needs to be on that bench. Anderson has great defense and ppl know it. What some ppl here hate is that he hasnt brought offense. Well if you see how many shots he takes a night you would see why his offensive game is low.

3. treeman

treeman Member

What I'm looking for is a Cat/Stevie offensive duet.

I think these two can compliment each other enormously on the ofense, leaving a significant defense for Cato, Shandon, and Chuck...

I realize this is a different offensive strategy than we've taken in the past, but it will capitalize upon Cat's and Stevie'd offensive abilities - their main roles.

I still think we should draft Clyde from the College ranks to the National ranks...

4. francis23

francis23 Member

His defense isn't the greatest, but it is good, even though hardaway dropped 21 on him tonight. I think we overestimated the value of Shandon Anderson, i have nothing against him he is a good player, a good bench/role player. But the fact is Cutino can also play defense and also score. I am not suprised with how many shots Anderson has taken, but he is making the little mistakes that are denying him shots like not moving etc., this is probaly cause he's adjusting to the offense.

This is why i say bring in Mobley he flows and shines in this offense, and is very affective, he can do everything better then Anderson, except defense which is a tie to me.

START CUTINO!!!

------------------

5. treeman

treeman Member

I agree. The only problem is sorting out who will get PG time considering Drew... He's hot lately, and you never bench someone who's hot...

Rotation.

Maybe start Stevie at PG, Cat at SF, and rotate Drew and Cat in and out from the SF position? I dunno....

6. francis23

francis23 Member

<font size=+3>STEVE FRANCIS IS <u>THE</u> POINT GUARD PERIOD!</font>

------------------

[This message has been edited by francis23 (edited December 02, 1999).]

7. Anderson totally shut down Penny in the first half. Penny didn't get rolling untill a strectch that saw Bullard guarding him.

Even then, Anderson did well enough.

His help D is great. He runs correctly on a break, and finds spots and creases on the floor.

Problem is, I really don't think the Rox have any plays designed for him at all. I think once the entire game I saw a play that focused on SA getting the ball.

Give me the D over O any day.

And no, no, no to Mobley starting. Mobes is quite close to leading the team in shot attempts per game as a reserve. He shoots way too much. Every make is an invite to shoot 8 more, no matter how ugly the situation is. I like Mobes coming off the Bench. Now get him to tone down the game a little, and figure out what a pass is, and he'll be all right.

8. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I liked it when Rudy was posting up Anderson on Penny. Penny was way overmatched.

9. treeman

treeman Member

dreamshake99: Why not start Cat?!?

Of course, it depends on who he's starting against, but...

(personally, I agree - Cat's best off the bench)

But, don't you think it'd be best to start him? Given his D-record, he'll get a steal or two, maybe a block, and he's likely to corral the offense towards Kelvin - and get another stop out of it...

So why? Why not start him?

(I agree we shouldn't, but WHY do YOU think we shouldn't)?

10. Lainey

Lainey Member

I agree with dreamshake - I'm not sure that I like the offensive look where they just had the ball to Mobley and he dribbles, dribbles, dribbles, and either shoots or drives (never passes). At least Chuck will pass out of the post-up offense and Stevie will pass once in a while. Until Mobley can be more consistent with his shot, (he has a horrible % for a SG, and the only reason he scores alot of points is because he shoots alot and shoots his FTs well). He shouldn't be give the green light to shoot everytime he has the ball.

He has to learn the purpose of isolation - to beat your man and get a good shot, and if it's not there, create opportunities for your teammates. If you beat your man great, but if you have to scoop it under two defenders, it's probably better to pass because someone else is open. OR if you have to shoot a fade away 3, and there's still time on the shot clock, probably better to pass the ball, especially if you're shooting only 31% from the arc (which BTW is third worst on the team - only better than Barkley and Thomas).

I think he was 6-9 going into OT, and ended up 7-16, and that was even with Barkley taking control for a good portion of the time.

I like his energy, and think he brings alot to the game, defense, etc., but I would just like to see him have some better shot selection and not try to force it so much.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm for starting Cat.

He makes the starting five better, and clearly, everyone must agree, that he is playing much better than Anderson right now. So he should start or at least log a starter's minutes. How many minutes is he playing now?

Also, Anderson would get more shots on the second unit. His average stats might actually increase.

12. horoma

horoma New Member

Isn't in the contract for Anderson to start?
    I thought one of the many reasons why Anderson left Utah was because he wanted to start.I could be mistaken.

------------------

13. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

We should watch Mobley a few more games before handing him the starting position, boy if he starts now he probably would take 30 shots a game and make 10 out of them.

14. Lainey

Lainey Member

FF - based on the numbers for this year, you're absolutely right.

15. bballfanatic

bballfanatic Member

To me Mobes plays a lot like Stevie - sometimes on a quick drive, I can't even tell which one of them it was. So I say start Mobley as the point if Stevie can't play. Bryce will back him up.

Maybe Shandon Anderson will get more minutes at shooting guard tonight since Mobley will be the point guard? I really liked seeing Anderson post up last night - I think it was just once. He looked comfortable with it. Give the guy a break and get him involved some way - if it has to be a post up that's okay.

If we only had Mack right now, he could switch at small forward (isn't that his position?) and shooting guard. Or if we had Derek Harper, a good veteran back up, we wouldn't really have a problem.

This is tough. I think we need another BIG man but we also need another backup point. And we need Carlos to step up big backing up Walt as Kelvin is doing for Hakeem!

Right now seems like we have lots of holes come to think of it.

16. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Right now, Cat is better suited to come off the bench. Every team needs that spark off the bench, and Cuttino is definately that. Also, you can't always have your top 5 offensive players starting. Although Cat plays good D, Anderson is simply better (may be the best on the team), and he uses his size to his advantage. With Charles and the Wizards playing mediocre to lascklustre D respectively, we cannot afford to give up more at one time.

To be honest, I don't think Cat has a problem coming off the bench, he gets starter-like minutes anyways.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    "Change does not necessarily assure progress, but progress
    undeniably requires change."

- Motto of the Houston Rockets

17. alaskansnowman

i totally agree with azim. we need him to be that spark off the bench.

And i dont think having francis and mobley on the court at the same time would be too good. They both have nearly the same playing styles. The purpose of a good offense is to have diverse players; not the same 5 players with the same styles.

and besides, we NEED mobley coming off the bench. he is sort of like a mini-steve francis. He can shoot, and he can take his man off the dribble. it's kind of like having 2 of steve francis.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Why Cat vs Anderson?

Why not Cat and Anderson vs Anderson and Williams?

I have been more impressed with Anderson than with Williams. I think Shandon can handle the 3. Sign Mack to back up Mobley at the two.

When Cat, Francis, and Shandon are on the court together, their defense creates offense. They cause a lot of turnovers but give up a bunch, too. Time together will reduce the stupid turnovers.

19. TraJ

TraJ Member

Mobley is getting starters minutes. He's getting about 32 minutes a game -- third on the team behind Francis (35) and Barkley (33). The problem with starting Mobley is that you don't have anyone to come off the bench at shooting guard. If Mobley starts at the two, then Anderson will most likely move over to small forward, and that leaves no one to come off the bench to play the two-guard. I wouldn't mind seeing Mobley start, but we'd have to add another decent guard to the rotation, in my opinion. If we had Sam Mack then I'd say we should go for it.

20. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

man you dont look to smart now. Just give him a chance. He does all the little things that needs to be done that is not in the stats report. I for one believe that he hustles more than anyone on this team except for my boy Francis. Look past the points because with the big three there is no more shots. If Cat's in the game with the big three then dont even expect to touch the ball. He is also getting paid the almost the same amount as Carlos Rogers. You can't expect anymore than that.