1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Playoffs] I still don't understand why ppl still think grizz/den are locks to play each other

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Mar 10, 2013.

1. what

what Member

With 20 games left to play, all I hear is that the top 5 seeds are supposedly a lock to stay put. I don't see it that way.

It is VERY possible that the grizzlies can make a move to the #1 seed in the west. The grizzlies are only 4 games behind the spurs, who, without tony parker, might lose more games against top teams.

The grizzlies are only 3 games behind the thunder with a rubber game still left on the schedule, which is AT the grizzlies. If the grizzlies win that game they will hold the tiebreaker against the thunder and only be 2 back.

I certainly don't think that the clippers have a lock on the #3 seed. I could see them falling to the 5th seed in the west if they are not careful.

I also think that denver could leapfrog both the grizzlies and the clippers with the way they are playing.

The thunder and the spurs tonight is going to put the grizzlies 1 game closer to either team. By the end of the tonight it is VERY possible that the grizzlies are only 3 games in the loss column back of the spurs. The spurs schedule is brutal also.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I don't know that ppl think they are a lock to play each other at all. Who are you referring to, Hollinger odds?

before the Gay trade, I tought Denver would end up no.3 (they've been really hot for a while) and Clippers/Memphis would end up facing each other again.

since the trade and since CP3 got healthy, i've no clue.

3. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

By the way, the Clippers are no.4 in the actual standings at the moment, so no lock for no.3 by any stretch of imagination.

4. what

what Member

Weekend dime, every national media outlet has brought up the grizz/den matchup as though it were a given out west, which both teams seem like that a ready to make a move out west.

imo, no seed is safe out west and okc and spurs are more vulnerable than people think.

5. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I think OKC is pretty safe. San Antonio a bit shaky because of the Parker injury. But both of them will be very hard to catch. They might lose 4-6 games the rest of the way and Memphis is 3-4 losses behind. Possible but unlikely. Especially Memphis topping both - that would likely take a Miami-ish winning streak to finish the season.

but 3-5 seeds look completely up in the air.

6. 713

713 Member

Rudy Gay is a lock to be a scrub role player for the rest of his career.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

How has Prince been playing

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

You want another Gay discussion, really?.. :rolleyes:

9. what

what Member

if you read the grizzlies boards, I posted a thread giving my general thoughts on what I can see the grizzlies doing going forward.

My main point was that ball stoppers hinder Marc Gasol's game. And i suggested that the grizzlies might want to look into a trade of Zach for Ersan IIYASOVA,

Montra and Jennings NEED a low post presence and I don't think Ersan (as fantastic as he is) really compliments their game. But having Ersan on the grizzlies (the grizzlies already have two good pf Ed Davis and DA who have different roles) would make the grizzlies dangerous.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

why would I read the Grizzlies boards

not really worth my time to pester them about the Rockets

11. VBG

VBG Member

It is weird. Everyone has constantly said that the Clippers are the third seed when Memphis is playing really well and has the third seed right now.

And the last couple of games have been without Z-Bo and Darrell Arthur

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I don't know... but this is very interesting.

I mean Griz v Nuggets is probably the highlight of the playoffs.

13. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Didn't even realize how well they have been doing, won 12 of their last 13, only loss to Miami :eek:

14. FearTheBeardJH

Memphis isn't better than Thunder, Spurs or Clippers and they aren't beating them even with HCA.

15. VBG

VBG Member

yeah. and that was a close loss with Z-Bo playing hurt. In Miami.

But it's not cool to talk about Memphis or San Antonio.

16. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Is there any way to auto-combine team advanced stats for a group of games? basketball reference allows this for players. i'd be interested to check Grizzlies pre and post trade.

17. andersongo

andersongo Member

Memphis are tailor-made for the play-offs. They are going to shock a lot of people when all things are said and done. I tend to think of them as the new 2004 Pistons, low scoring bruising team but it doesn't matter since you're not going to score more than them anyway.

18. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

The Pistons really had no holes (although the rules allowed them to be more physical, too). They were physical, big and very mobile at the same time, great and versatile halfcourt defense, great transition defense. The Grizzlies transition is shaky in comparison, though they've been looking a bit better since the Prince trade. Still, there's something to hang onto if you are a great running team. The Pistons were just brutal right after the Sheed trade, no weaknesses on defense.

19. what

what Member

all I know is JVG lauded our defense, he said to the affect that the grizzlies don't make ANY mistakes on defense and coming form the CZAR of defense, I'll take that as VERY HIGH PRAISE.

20. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It's very possible that the Dallas Mavericks could still make the playoffs. And I'd actually put better odds on that than the Grizzlies making the #1 seed.