1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff rotation

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by kevC, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

****in'a, man.

2. Major

Major Member

Yes and no. Keuchel pre-injury (sub 2.00 ERA and sub-1.00 WHIP) was pitching like the best player in baseball. He's not that guy right now - far more inconsistent, even with his low 3's ERA over his last 7 games or whatever it was. Verlander today is pitching like Keuchel pre-injury, which is better than Keuchel post-injury. So it has to do with both Verlander and Keuchel's recent performances.

3. htownbball

htownbball Member

I think moving Musgrove to the pen opens up the options for Peacock. Sure, he could be a weapon in the pen, but we may not ever need him to go 2-3 innings in relief. It's like keeping your star player on the bench. As of right now, I don't trust LMJ to come back and give me 5 quality innings. Keep LMJ in the pen and call on him to mop things up if we're up by 10 or down by 10.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Keuchel,Verlander,McHugh,Peacock,Morton's results since August 16th

6.1IP 1ER Morton
    7IP 0ER Keuchel
    6IP 0ER McHugh
    5.1IP 1ER Peacock
    5IP 4ER Morton
    7IP 2ER Keuchel
    6IP 1ER McHugh
    6IP 1ER Peacock
    5IP 3ER Morton
    6IP 6ER Keuchel
    4.2IP 0ER McHugh
    5IP 2ER Morton
    5.1IP 1ER Peacock
    7.2IP 2ER Keuchel
    6IP 1ER Verlander
    3IP 3ER McHugh (left with blister issue)
    5IP 2ER Morton
    5.2IP 2ER Peacock
    5.2IP 4ER Keuchel
    8IP 0ER Verlander
    6IP 1ER Peacock
    6IP 1ER Morton
    6IP 1ER Keuchel
    7ip 1ER Verlander
    5IP 1ER McHugh
    6IP 2ER Peacock

So yeah, our current 5 man has been really freaking good over the last month plus.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is one way to look at it. But we know Peacock can succeed in the long relief role. LMJ and/or Morton? Who knows? I sure am not comfortable putting guys in the relief role that have never (not recently) been there or proven themselves there.

I would rather start Morton/LMJ and have Peacock on standby.

Whatever we are going to do, I hope we slide guys into their playoff role now (if its different than current) so they can acclimate.

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In 20 starts, Peacock has a 3.22 ERA; 2.95 FIP; 1.23 WHIP. He has 133 Ks in 106.2 IP. The team is 15-5 in those starts. And he's pitched into the 6th inning in 11 of his last 14 starts (including his last 6 in a row) so he's starting to stretch himself out.

The bottom may eventually fall out, and it might be at the absolute worst time - but at this point, you have to assume his season/turnaround is legitimate and give him the game 3 start he's earned.

bigdaddy likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I get that. And he (Peacock) has earned it. But do you really have confidence in Morton as a reliever?

8. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I doubt we use him as traditional reliever.

I imagine we tell him beforehand that he is gonna be following up Peacock (or McHugh, or McHugh follows him whatever). They will then be able to go through their whole pregame routine like a normal start.

I wouldn't trust any of them at this point to be brought into a heated situation after a quick warm up. They may be able to handle it, but it would be playing with fire. Maybe you have to use Musgrove really early as a bridge guy so they come into a clean situation.

9. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Does that matter if Peacock goes 6 IP with just a run given up? You got three more innings in which Devenski, Musgrove, Harris, and Giles will be available... chances are Keuchel and Verlander will not be chased early.

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So, we are not going to use Morton in the playoffs at all?

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Remember: they can change their roster between series. So it's not "playoffs" - it's ALDS, a five-game series in which, depending on how the series develops, could see two of your starters going twice. If they're up 2-1.... I think there's a really good chance Morton pitches game 4. If they're down 2-1......... I think Verlander will pitch game 4.

I think they'll carry 5 starters and 6 relievers for the ALDS.

13. Major

Major Member

I'd rather get 4-6 important innings out of Peacock for sure, rather than use a lesser pitcher and then maybe not even use Peacock in an important role if games are blowouts either way. With Giles/Devo/Musgrove in the bullpen, you've already got the most critical innings covered to a large extent. So putting Peacock in the pen might be just wasting him in favor of lesser pitchers.

14. Buck Turgidson

Once the playoffs start, it's every game for itself....

Win today, screw tomorrow.

15. Buck Turgidson

So the rest of the regular season looks to shake out like this:

9/24 McCullers vs LAA
    9/25 McHugh vs Texas
    9/26 Keuchel vs Texas
    9/27 Verlander vs Texas
    9/28 Peacock vs Boston
    9/29 Morton vs Boston
    9/30 McCullers vs Boston
    10/1 McHugh vs. Boston

Peacock should be available in the pen today, with LMJ being "inning-to-inning" per Hinch. Management set up the last week nicely.

DuBose and Joe Joe like this.
  16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

That's a looong time for Keuchel and Verlander to be off before Gs 1 & 2, isn't it?

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I thought the same, but it also keeps our potential 1st round opponent from seeing them twice in 1 week, possibly 3 times.

BigMaloe, RocketFan007 and DuBose like this.
  18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

This is as good a place as any to put this, but since 3 of the top 4 Red Sox starters are left handed and that's not even counting Price, the Astros should bite the bullet and keep Beltran off the first round roster. But...will they?

19. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They won't... the question will be how many games he starts.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Beltran wouldn't be on the roster if all about performance, but I think that Luhnow has to consider how that will play in the clubhouse for now, and while you hate to worry about the future, how it will play to future free agents that you left a future HOFer off the postseason roster in what is potentially his final season. You also have to consider that the player taking his spot isn't going to be a massive improvement. I do want Gattis to DH, so a 3rd catcher would probably take Beltran's spot if he were off.

For me, rotation should be Verlander, Keuchel, Peacock, McHugh

Bullpen: Giles, Musgrove, Harris, Devo, Gregerson, LMJ, Morton, Liriano

I hate carrying that many guys in the pen in the postseason, but I think LMJ & Morton could be weapons, despite not knowing how they will react to relieving, and Liriano has been much better lately, and used in a limited role deserves consideration.

Everyday lineup would be Gattis at DH, Marwin in LF. Bench would be Maybin, White, Fisher, and Beltran. Stassi being the only guy I really wish I could fit in. I think we need a backup IF (besides Marwin moving in), which is why White makes it. Fisher sucks, but he is a LHB with speed and power and you'd like at least 2 guys that can run on the bench.

BigMaloe, Major and Kim like this.