1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff playing time for Nick Johnson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CALI_MOST_WANTD, May 7, 2015.

1. CALI_MOST_WANTD

Last year during the playoffs I thought we could of used D-Mo size and ability to move his feet quicker than Asik against Portland, sure he wasn't as good as he is today and I remember people telling me when I asked this here last year he wasn't good enough but look at him now and the player he growing into. Than this year in this series with Beverly out I think we should give more playing time to Nick Johnson. He is younger than our grandpa's and when not if Chris Paul comes back he might be able to be a surprise factor against him for everyone. Thoughts? Agree? Disagree?:confused:

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Can he shoot? control the offense? Make plays? Get to the basket even when DJ is out? Defend without fouling?

If both Prigs and Terry are in foul trouble in the 1st half, I wouldn't mind giving him a couple of minutes a la Capela. But otherwise he'll be more of a liability than anything.

Playoff rotations are tighter than the reg season for a reason

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Honestly at this point. I'd rather Nick Johnson had been the final injury and not McDaniels. I truely think McDaniels would have been the proper substitution for Harden through-out the end of the season and PlayOffs.. He's the real 2 guard with super athletic ability to defend and make incredible plays. I still don't know how his wrist could have fractured so easily. It sux to have to go to Terry or Prigs ever single substitution to rest Harden.

4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I know what you mean, but when did we start wishing injuries on our own players?

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He only gets play time in these 3 scenario's

1. Injury
    2. Blowout
    3. Paul comes back tomorrow and not a damn soul can stop him.

6. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

none. u see capella fumbling the ball. we dont need more rookie mistakes. terry and priggs are good enough.

should be giving kostas 5-10mpg and starting brewer at pg, increasing his minutes to 30+.

7. CALI_MOST_WANTD

I'm not saying star him or even him be backup but thrown him in at times to see what happens. Like Capela. Can't grow without playing time and throwing them in only when your winning by alot at the end is not exactly a true test to what they might be able to do especially under pressure. I just wanna see how he would do. Not saying he deserves a spot yet. But let him try prove himself.

8. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

if htere was a time to play nick it would've been vs the mavs. rockets barely hanging in there vs the clippers.

but hey, if he can make a wide open three, i say give im all of ariza's minutes just to prove a point

9. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Nick Johnson hasn't shown any sign he's a legitimate NBA player. It's a pipe dream to send him out there. It's crazy to send someone out to "try and prove themselves" in the middle of the second round.

10. MattM

MattM Member

This is true. While our grandpas aren't the greatest defenders, they still add value since they can run the offense and are very smart players. Inset Johnson at the right time

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I would give Nick Johnson 0 minutes the rest of the playoffs.

I can't see the sense in throwing the poor guy to the wolves unless we HAVE to. Let him learn the game a bit more next season, and if he grows, let him play!
    Needs to find his shot more consistently though.

12. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Put him in there whenver austin rivers is in the game. He will shut down Rivers. I would have him guard crawford too.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

He's probably behind Joey Dorsey on the PG depth chart.

14. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

We do not want air ball 3s do we?

15. Rocket2008

Rocket2008 Member

Is big Papa healthy? He should play more if Josh Smith continues to play like crap and we going to use small ball...