1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playmakers with flair - who else misses it?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Jan 28, 2017.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Pistol Pete, Magic Johnson, White Chocolate, Jason Kidd, Nash - where did all the guys able to pass the ball with flair go?

Anyone else miss the dish that got you out of your seat?

Take a look at Magic and his top assists.

Here is a little White chocolate to give you some flavor.

The incomparable Pistol Pete.

DD

#1 DaDakota, Jan 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Wait, here is a kid going to WVU after 2018....there might be hope in a few years.

DD

justinh and don grahamleone like this.
  3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Feel like Rondo, Rubio, CP3, Wall do a pretty good job at this and have a few highlights every game, there are also players at other positions (Jokic, LeBron, etc) who can make great plays.

Embrace the clutch likes this.
  4. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Clearly you've forgotten Rubio.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Streetball legend Rafer Skip 2 my Lou Brickston

#5 daywalker02, Jan 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Every night Harden connects on at least one pass from an absurd angle.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is why Rubio's failure to develop a respectable shot is so disappointing. It's going to hamper his career, and we're not going to see him explode that way.

However, it took a while for Nash to really bring his game together. Maybe Rubio, like Kidd, develops a decent 3pt stroke in a couple of years. I just wonder WTF he's been doing this whole time.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

People always say this, but he's been a pro since the age of 14 and trained with some of the best coaches and players in Europe and the NBA. This is more professional playing time than most players have over their whole career.

Guy has basically been a pro for 12 years and still hasn't improved his jumpshot, it won't suddenly happen in the future.

9. Scola Scoops

Scola Scoops Member

10. Mr Chuck Norris

no white chocolate mention? I think his son plays ball...

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

This kinda thing is where fans can be REALLY CONTRADICTORY

They will BASH players for playing "streetball" and "And-1 tour" style. Being all "flash" and about highlights, trying to be splashy instead of making simple passes. Saying it WONT work against "NBA" competition. Will call players out for carrying and palming the ball. And say its NOT WINNING basketball.

Fans did their own part to neuter the sport. And then will go against all that and wish for the "true" point guard slick passing first-shoot second floor general. If its not done with a player seen as having "high IQ", its
    gonna be seen in a bad way

12. Outlier

Outlier Member

Ben Simmons is the player youre looking for. I watched every preseason game he played in. You will be amazed by his passes. Kid is special.

basketballholic likes this.
  13. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You mean summer league?

Looks good.

14. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

clearly OP has forgotten DMo . . . oh wait

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yeah I know, it's definitely a red flag. But it wouldn't be different than Jason Kidd who was practically 30 years old when he finally learned to be respectable from 3pt range.

I just wonder if he is actually practicing often enough. I wouldn't be surprised if his shooting training was ignored in Europe because he was one of the best passers on earth under 18 years old. Maybe they thought it will eventually come so they didn't put any emphasis on it.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Read about him and Rondo shooting great percentages in practices, I guess it's the same kind of mental blockade that makes guys like Dwight shoot 85 ft% in practice and then barely 50% in real games.
    Honestly don't know what the heck that is about, maybe these guys lose confidence in in-game situations and unconsciously alter their shooting motion.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Avery Johnson only developed a shot in his latter years

Rocket River

18. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I don't know if I buy that whole thing. If you look at the famed whiteboard where Dwight shot 85% (which is where this rumor comes from) you can see that lots of people shoot a significantly higher % in practice, and it could have just been one good day for Dwight. I haven't heard anyone come out and say Dwight is shooting over 90% regularly in practice, which is what it takes to be a decent in-game FT shooter.

Rubio doesn't have a form problem like Dwight either. You can tell Dwight is just awkward shooting that shot, as if his body doesn't want to do it. Rubio's form is decent, but it just looks like he doesn't have enough practice. But that's just me speculating.

Who knows maybe it's a bit of everything. All I know if someone will be really happy if they buy super low on Rubio and then he develops a shot. I hope we're not the ones who take that risk, chances are low imo.

oelman44 likes this.
  19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Arvydas Sabonis was the greatest passing big man ever. Don't have time to search for a video.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All he needed was that shot.....

Tony Parker did not have a 3pt shot at first and still could hit the midrange and was great at getting to the rim. He somehow improved.