1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing NOT to Lose

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It has been a couple of days
    and the reality is simple
    The Rockets get up by more than 20 . . . .
    they start playing . ..not to win . . .but playing to Not Lose
    They almost seems like they go into a prevent defense
    and Run Run Pass offense

Just trying to run out the clock

It seems to be an organizational thing
    From Coach to Players (Could go further up)

This should be a Priority after the All Star Break
    Learn to STOMP PEOPLE OUT
    to put them down . .and hold them down

cause honestly. . . This is our year!!

Rocket River

robbie380, chadyang, hakeem94 and 8 others like this.
  2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's Houston Sports-itis. Almost every team we've ever had does this. Carry on...

SemisolidSnake and BigShasta like this.
  3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I had actually had the opposite take. I almost think when the Rocket get up twenty they should START playing not to lose. And by that, I mean they should move away from the highly volatile three point shots. Yes, the threes got you the lead, but at this point we have the luxury of playing the percentages and be okay trading 2s for 3s. Start letting Paul pepper the other team with mid-range jumpers. Let Harden and Gordon drive to the bucket to try to get layups or draw fouls. Basically just keep the scoreboard moving just enough to keep the game out of reach. Don't just continue trying to hit difficult 3s, because that's number one reason we go on long scoring droughts and give up leads.

If you're saying the Rockets should not be overly patient and try to run the shot clock down every time down the court, then I agree. We should still try to be aggressive. I'm saying we should simply gives "2s" a chance when we're up by that much.

#3 DCkid, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  4. Victorious

Victorious Member

Bill O'briens Texans hold better leads than these Rockets. He is the master of playing not to lose

DatRocketFan likes this.
  5. ballgame

ballgame Member

In the words of the person in the White House.....WRONG! We have a 6'5" PF, 6'3" SF and a 6'8" center....we are too short!

We can't rebound and it's been like this for years; drafting Aaron Brooks, Carl Landry, Luther Hea and Joey Dorsey (WHO HE NAMED THE NEW AGED CENTER). Morey love short players, always has and always will. I've made up in my mind to just enjoy Basketball and don't worry about winning a Championship.

#5 ballgame, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  6. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

While i do agree, BoB is the master at being mediocre, injured Harden and a team of g-leagues has a better chance of going further than a team led by BoB.

7. ballgame

ballgame Member

I use to think the Rockets were better at talent evaluations, organizational moves, head coaching, etc. than the Texans BUT both are MEDICORE. One is no better than the other and unfortunately the fans suffer.

J.R. likes this.
  8. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

It's definitely a team-wide epidemic, but it starts with the captains and then the coach. Coach way more often than not doesn't have the wherewithal to call a timeout and chew his players out. Harden needs to break thru this because everyone, including CP follows his lead. If not, CP has to be the one to deliver the final blow. The loss against OKC made me wonder what it'd be like for games where we gain a huge lead for Harden instead of CP to sub out first in the 3rd. Harden takes a lot of time to try and figure out how the other team has adjusted for him. If not a rotation change, they could still try to change it up and initiate a lot more with CP3 to start the 3rd.

I just think huge leads like that is on the star players first, and then Coach second.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

The Rockets shoot themselves out of rhythm because they get lazy on D and that starts heavily affecting the offensive movement and shots. They do get lazy and stop pushing and driving. The key is always the D that forces them to play together as a team. It unites and energizes them and creates the chemistry on offense. That is why those flow 3s fall. To just say the opposing D gets tighter or switch to 2s overlooks the main underlying issue. This has been the same over seasons. This exposes that the Rockets lack a true character and identity. Who are we no matter what? During the long streaks last year the team committed to playing every possession. We always use the excuse of injuries or the competition to fall back to this core weakness. It's coaching and it's identity. The team forced the identity last year. It has 25 games to establish it again. Capela will help greatly with that goal.

DCkid and gfab-babyboi like this.
  10. SemisolidSnake

Yeah, glad I'm not the only one that notices that this is a pan-sports Houston phenomenon. Whether it's getting up and losing the lead or waiting too long to try to gain the lead, it's comes down to complacency and lack of killer instinct.

Our World Series Champion Astros did it A LOT last year. More in the sense of complacently assuming they can pull off a comeback in the last three innings instead of working on building a lead in the first six. I can't imagine how frustrated our starting pitchers were last year.

The Texans...well, others watch the Texans more than I do, but the Texans are definitely not a team that's going to go out and crush you with an embarrassing loss even if it's within their capability.

The Rockets could run up the lead to 30+ by the end of the third in a lot of cases, and then both benches could garbage time the fourth, and Harden and the others would get more rest than otherwise, but...I dunno.

Whatever you think of the Patriots, when they're in good, non-Superbowl form, they're definitely the sort of team that will try to step on your neck from the get-go, keep the foot firmly planted until you're choked out dead by the end of the third, and then keep it pushing until they snap your neck for good measure in the fourth. Go and do likewise, Houston teams.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If there is one BBS meme I'm tired of it's the "Call a timeout!" nonsense. You guys think D'Antoni could call a timeout and that would magically add 4 inches of height to PJ Tucker? Make Faried pay attention on defense? Make James Harden have a sense of urgency in the 3rd quarter? Heal Clint Capela's finger? Make Nene young again?

Timeouts won't fix the Rockets roster issues and it won't change the way they play.

harold bingo and Os Trigonum like this.
  12. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Contributing Member

I just think they lose their focus when they get a big lead. Everything gets sloppy, they start committing unforced turnovers, give up a few 3's, and in five minutes they let an easy win turn back into a tough game in which the opponent has stolen all the momentum. This team from the very beginning of the season has had some weird mental stuff happening.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

honestly this ought to be a sticky. instant GARM Post of the Week winner

14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The loss to OKC wasn’t that bad. Yeah we had a big lead but we played well most of the game. Crappy 3rd quarter which I’m sure would have been taken care of better had we had Capela in there as well as had we been in playoff mode. I was impressed with some of the big shots we still made, especially Harden’s floater.

The Warriors dropped a 20 point lead in the 3rd quarter to us this season. Are they wasting Curry and Durant’s prime?

I like where this team is. If we can go into the playoffs top 4 seed and healthy, and add one more piece to the rotation whether that’s Iman getting comfortable or Danuel House re-joining the team, I like our chances just as much as I did before the season started.

TAKE THAT FOR POSITIVITY! @HP3

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rivalry game
    Up 26
    Home court
    Jockeying for playoff position with opponent

Yes...it was that bad. Unfathomably bad. Yet somehow still not one of our worst losses of the year due to how many terrible losses we have had this year.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

This is more like a great material for the other thread

17. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I wouldn't call it nonsense! I mean, of course none of this would happen, but I really think this team loses focus very quickly. The coaches gotta be up in their grills during timeouts. Harden is a all-time talent, but is somewhat lackluster as a leader. We need to stop the bleeding sometimes, kill their momentum, remind everyone to up the defensive intensity. D'antoni being more active on the sidelines during the game would also help.

18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I blame harden he is very complacent....and he sets the tone for the entire team and the coach since he is basically on the level of the owner due to his superstar status

I remember 30 pt lead came in jeopardy couple of games ago when he started throwing behind the back passess as soon as we got a huge lead leading to 3 turnovers in a row....luckily the opponents didnt catch enough fire like okc

19. alethios

alethios Member

That 3rd quarter or 4th quarter let-down has been our bugaboo for many years. The team needs to collectively go to Heart school.

20. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I agree. But Harden is what he is. If it wasn't for him, we would be battling the Suns for the last place. I strongly believe this deficiency can be covered by a more vocal coaching staff. Ideally, Harden should be a great leader and set the tone defensively. If he was all that, on top of all his amazing skills, he would be one of the top 5 players of all time.

hakeem94 likes this.