1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players with playful attitudes never win championships?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Outlier, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Outlier

Outlier Member

After watching that video with John Wall dancing silly, it had me thinking...

All the players who act like clowns don't win championships. Think Dwight Howard and his antics. Think Gilbert Arenas and his antics. You can tell these guys don't win because they're simply not serious enough about basketball.

Okay you guys may say Shaq, but he's a huge exception because of his natural dominance.

Serious guys win. Kobe with his assassin like mentality win. Duncan with his calm chilling presence win. Jordan with his take no crap from nobody win.

I fear because of Wall's playfulness, he may never win a ring...

2. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I think your point is valid only if "that guy" is expected to be the leader on the team. Shaq was never necessarily the leader of the team, there were plenty of solid influences, etc.

3. clippy

clippy Member

Magic won a few games in his day. You don't have to always have an angry snarl on your face (even a fake angry "practiced in the mirror" snarl like Kobe) to be a competitor.

4. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And guess who's John Wall's assistant coach... :eek:

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

This only seems that way because in the NBA only a select few won championships.

If you go back the past 10 years, a vast majority of the rings have been won by the Lakers and the Spurs. So yeah, the main guys were just three people: Shaq, Kobe and Duncan. You already excluded Shaq, Duncan doesn't look like the type who will dance on the court but he's far from Mr. Serious, didn't he get thrown out by Joey Crawford for laughing at him? Kobe is a carbon copy of Jordan so he's always snarling.

6. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

It is always great when A poster destroys his own argument in his first post. So apparently playful players do win championships when they are talented enough, the same goes for more serious players. They also only win championships when they are talented enough. (there are enough serious players who never won a championship). That being said I rather have a player leading my team who is more serious than playfull.

7. ThaShark316_28

Yeah because Kobe never jumped over cars in commercials, made an ad about "broken ankle insurance" or jumped over a pool of snakes for nike.

You can't exclude Shaq...period. KG, Pierce, Rondo and the rest of the Celtics just acted a fool for halloween.

This thread blows.

8. AggieRocketsFan

Is this another Battier bashing thread?

9. scottie brooks

Haha you're arguing with your argument aside, playful guys never win. Just look at stockton and malone. Practical jokesters they were.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

11. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

This silly dancer got his ring, too.

[​IMG]

12. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

/thread

13. BetterThanEver

14. BetterThanEver

These NBA champs got playful attitudes too.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfNte5eyulQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfNte5eyulQ?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

15. Rocketboi

Rocketboi Member

shaq? and what about sheed' wallace?

16. BetterThanEver

There's also Kobe.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TioepHz1EWM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TioepHz1EWM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOGSF2qlPaM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pOGSF2qlPaM?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

17. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Good example. I think the main difference between them and a team like last year's Cavs would be that you see a lot of the Cavs playful attitude while the game is still going on.

When the Celtics are on the court, everyone can feel their intensity at almost all times.

That's just my observation.

18. T-mac&Yao=RING

T-mac&Yao=RING Contributing Member

So dancing on the court before the game will have an effect on if you ever will win a ring.

By the way if I was 20 and getting payed millions to play something I would play for free I would be dancing all the damn time.

19. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

/Thread.

20. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I loved the way Magic played. The one and only Lakers team I've ever liked (but only when they weren't playing the Rockets).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]