1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Player's Tribune | by Steve Francis] I Got a Story to Tell

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zeeshan2, Mar 8, 2018.

1. TheresTheDagger

I love his comments on Yao. Best. Teammate. Ever. (Yao that is)

Good article.

fba34, lnchan and D-rock like this.
  2. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

What do you mean he didn't have any meltdown performances? TMAC literally QUIT on the Rockets during a game. I can't believe we forget this and give TMAC a pass.

The Rockets were making steady progress with Steve and Yao and increased depth. Had we stayed the course and built around Yao and Steve and continued to add pieces, we would have been great. The TMAC trade killed all of our depth, and left us reliant on a soft superstar who thought he was better than he was.

Richie_Rich, tinman and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Steve Francis was one of my favorite NBA players back in the mid 00's and was certainly the only player that kept me interested in the Rockets after Hakeem and Barkley retired.

Even though I would later realize the limitations of his game, i still fondly remember his amazing crossovers, jukes and drives. Dude was so damn good at shaking people, granted it usually required far too much dribbling lol... but it was damn entertaining when he was at his peak.

fba34 and D-rock like this.
  5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Loved watching Steve play for the Rockets. I wish Adelman would’ve played him more when he came back too.

Great article. I’ll always be a fan of Franchise.

fba34 and D-rock like this.
  6. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

Great read. Loved that he always showed respect to Dream, Yao, RudyT and the other Rockets legends. He always loved Houston and the team.

He wasn't perfect, but he was ours and it crushed him when he got traded, and some of us were sad to lose him, even though we knew it was the right trade. This is why Chandler gets hate and Franchise gets love. We recognize the warts but we recognize the effort, the love. His first few years, gave us hope. Busted Stockton and the Jazz in the first half and then got kicked out for the 2nd. Sort of a fitting analogy to his entire career.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

@Swiss Roll

You see this response? This is real.

fba34 likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

All I remember at the end were boneheaded 18 seconds or more iso plays.

Likely got fan favorite jvg fired

Jontro and Torn n Frayed like this.
  9. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Or the numerous numerous blown fast break attempts with him and mobley, just maddening!!

10. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

"And I know people were asking, 'What the hell happened to Steve Francis?' But the hardest part was reading some bulls--- on the Internet saying that I was on crack," Francis said. "When I thought about my grandmother reading that, or my kids reading that ... that broke my heart. Listen, I sold crack when I was growing up. I'll own up to that. But never in my life did I ever do crack.

"What happened to Steve Francis? I was drinking heavily, is what happened. And that can be just as bad. In the span of a few years I lost basketball, I lost my whole identity, and I lost my stepfather, who committed suicide."

In April 2017, Francis pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of driving while intoxicated, was fined and received a sentence of time served. Francis entered alcohol rehab after his arrest in November 2016.”

11. Aware

Aware Member

I was too young to have seen the clutch years so for better or worse steve and the flying dildo uni is what comes to mind when i think rockets.

There have been better but steve and cat were my guys.

heypartner and RudyTBag like this.
  12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nope, it’s because he didn’t quit mid-game, admit to it, then blame his teammates for quitting.

He played his heart out with truly terrible rosters outside of Cat Mobley. T-Mac’s Rafer/Battier/Hayes/Landry/Deke supporting cast looked like the 86 Celtics compared to what Steve and Cat had.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Look at those insanely good looking uniforms!
    Yao wearing that vintage Maxwell
    [​IMG]

lnchan likes this.
  14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Goes to show how hard it is for people to escape poverty and crime when they are born into it.

fba34 likes this.
  15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Are you talking about Francis?

How did he he jvg fired?

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would have loved to have seen the Steve-Cat-Yao teams vs. the Jazz in the playoffs. We gave the Lakers some fits the year before, and Yao wasn't YAO yet.

I wish we could have held onto James Posey too, and gawdamn I really wish that Eddie Griffin could have realized half of his vast potential.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

That was the least of his problems. What a terrible story.

18. hakeemthagreat

In what playoff game did Mcgrady just quit?

Also don't oversell Francis. Steve Francis was a HORRIBLE decision maker & grade A ballstopper as a PG. His turnovers were pretty bad & he was the ultimate me-first pg. We were going NOWHERE with Steve. Very likable guy though

19. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great read. I have fond memories of watching the Franchise/Mobley teams on UPN 20.

Pretty funny that he called Vancouver "cold-ass Canada" even though he was from DC. The winters where he grew up are definitely harsher than those in Vancouver.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  20. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Please go into detail