1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Player's-Only Huddle on defense: "Enough is Enough"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

1. Paul gathered the Rockets around him for a pointed conversation. Coaches were not invited. More than that, they were asked to leave.

The Nets' lead had reached 14. Brooklyn had made 71.9 percent of its shots. Paul felt the timing was right to call out and challenge the Rockets to do something about it.

Pep talks are nice and few will work as well, but it was nothing new. Even last season, when things went so well, the Rockets spoke like that often to one another. Much of what Paul had to say probably should not be shared with children in the room, but the Rockets took great pride last season in holding one another accountable with no one excluded from the demands.

The Rockets, however, emerged far more determined. The Nets made just 4 of their next 20 shots as the Rockets' 14-point deficit turned into a seven-point lead. Brooklyn made just 35.8 percent of its shots after that timeout talking to. After scoring 26 points in the paint in the first quarter, the most the Nets had in a quarter since December, 2016, they had just 24 in the rest of the game.

The Rockets had tweaked things defensively, dialing back on some of the switches and positioning help differently. But none of that had mattered with the Nets tearing through the Rockets' defense so easily off the dribble to begin the game. The change that mattered was to the Rockets' determination and attitude.

As much as confidence seems to be a quality associated with offense, it is valuable on the other end, too. When the Rockets could string together a few stops, that determination seemed to grow, as if they needed the encouragement of some reward. Players often say shooting is contagious. With a struggling team, so too can be defense.

It was for the Rockets on Friday. That began when Paul challenged the Rockets to fight their way back and they finally obliged.

2. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Can someone explain to me what the Rockets did schematically, "the hybrid" mentioned below.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...m_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social
    ----

“At the timeout, we were talking, yelling, cursing,” Anthony said. “It was something we had to figure out. We did that. It was one of those gritty games we had to fight it out, grind it out and we did that.”

----

“We’ve been playing a lot of games now and the coaches try to do schemes,” Paul said. “We just said, ‘Y’all stay out a second, let us talk.’ I mean, at some point enough is enough.

“We talked about it as a team. ‘What are we going to do?’ They were just scoring every time down. We just needed that. We came together and put together some stops.”

-----

“We found a will and a want,” coach Mike D’Antoni said. “It was mostly character. There was a timeout there that things were ready to let go of the rope and Chris called them together and said, ‘Hey guys, this is about us. It’s not about the coaches. They can come in and say something. This is about us. We’re going to have to guard or not, guys.’ They decided to get into people.

We put some other things in there. It was a little bit of a hybrid. It’s better.

“But I really think it starts from wanting to do it. They found it within themselves to do it.”

D-rock likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Wait, what are you saying here?

By your admission and by the shaky defensive metrics available, last year was one of Harden’s best defensively.

His first year here with someone who could help with the offensive load.

Exactly what everyone was saying.

This year he has played 4 games.

Someone decided afted 4 games that Harden won’t be playing last years defense and we shouldn’t expect it?

The whole team started like **** on defense. Let’s give everyone some time.

Except Melo. Don’t think there is much hope there for anything good. Just hope for the best effort.

D-rock, BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The defense wasn't perfect by any stretch, but they noticeably tried harder from that point onward. Hopefully they keep up the effort and will begin to improve their execution as well.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok, dropping the Big.

#65 Deuce, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    D-rock, DreamShook, napalm06 and 6 others like this.
  6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Pretty obvious Chris Paul is the coach.

rocketman84 likes this.
  7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I don’t know what it is about the players only meeting at the time out that makes me want to laugh

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz, I was just about to point that out from the beginning of the 3rd....which I just watched. Capela is following the slipping big as much as possible.

"Hybrid" stuff is usually found at the initial point of attack...where we can change up the initial pick defense with many alternative approaches.

Dropping the big is always an option (that Utah and GSW use much more), ICE, trapping, etc, but I think the reason we don't drop Capela as much is maybe because our obsession with the Warriors...like we are constantly practicing for them.

bottomline: we can't drop the big on Curry. He'll just shoot a three with any sliver of space coming around the pick.

9. heypartner

btw: I should add that I wouldn't call what we did in the 3rd Q as "dropping the big" in Gobert terms. Capela is out there with the picker, but tracking the slip. He followed his roller. That's different than starting in a drop position.

It's different because we can also choose to switch, when the opposing big actually sticks his pick. Further, there is one play in the 3rd where Capela does switch because their big was setting a pick on Tucker. A Tucker/Capela switch is not that big of a deal, and as long as PJ called it early, it's got a hybrid ability during a possession, too.

#69 heypartner, Nov 3, 2018
    D-rock, HP3, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Does huddle count as a players only meeting ;)

alethios likes this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

@hakeem94, we have a GARM POTW nominee!

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

This is nice and all, but still can’t get too high with one win over Brooklyn, a close one. And can’t help but worry that this team will continue to think they’re better than they actually are, and assume that a talk can fix things again.

I guess you got to start somewhere though. Happy we won, but a loss tonight will mean we’re still horrible.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm saying Harden has the ability to play good defense - and he has the guys around him to lighten his offensive load so he should be able to dedicate the effort to play good defense... IF he's a defensive liability - thats on James Harden - and shouldn't be acceptable...
    Do you disagree?

Harden had a lackluster start to the season regarding defense - as was the case with pretty much everybody... I'm hopeful that he regains his defensive focus and puts forth the effort he's capable of - as is my expectation of every member of the team...

I bring it up... bc I keep hearing how Melo cant start bc we cant afford to have 2 defensive liabilities on the court at the same time (which was the comment I was replying to)... plus i've heard the sentiment repeatedly throughout the forum... so I put it out there to determine what people are thinking... A) that he cant play good d due to inability? B) that he cant be expected to bc of some past excuses? C) that he can - but chooses not to - and thats ok...?

Personally, I think its a narrative designed as an excuse not to give Melo ample opportunity to be a contributor to this team...

I havent enjoyed all the Melo hate - for a guy on a vet min deal who we were trying to trade for a little over a year ago to pay 23M/yr... I get the guy has a rep, but I'd like to give him the opportunity to contribute and see what he's still got - as he did last night...

I wasn't enamored with getting CP3 bc he was a phantom flopper - glad to see that tendency hasn't carried over... I was displeased with Harden's 'hook the guy and pull them into him to draw the foul' unsportsmanlike move - I'm glad to see he's abandoned it...
    I wish people would give Melo an opportunity to overcome his past indiscretions...

da_juice and hakeem94 like this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This will be unnoticed and underrated but Ennis did a wonderful job right here on this play.

D-rock, HP3, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  15. da_juice

da_juice Member

This is why you keep Chris Paul around. A true leader, elder statesman and probably one of the highest BBIQs in the game.

D-rock and theimpossibles1 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

I wasn't enamored with getting CP3 bc he was a phantom flopper - glad to see that tendency hasn't carried over... I was displeased with Harden's 'hook the guy and pull them into him to draw the foul' unsportsmanlike move - I'm glad to see he's abandoned it...
    I wish people would give Melo an opportunity to overcome his past indiscretions...[/QUOTE]
    Uhhhh they both still do that lol,you may not like it but everyone does it(not that I do either) but I really don't care that much because they are doing whatever it takes to win.

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sounds more like discussing ifs and maybes about Harden that clearly have no need. His defense has been adequate for quite some time now. Obviously not lock down, but far from complaint worthy.

A defensive minded 3 just fits better with the starters than a guy like Melo. Last night seemed like a pretty good example. Gordon and Melo brining fire from the bench. Melo is what he is at this point. He is capable of scoring in bunches but relying on him to be “ok” consistently on defense is going to be tough. He’s just older and slower at this point. He’s getting every opportunity in the world to contribute and will continue to do so despite some of the loud annoying posts about him. He’s absolutely still an asset, especially at the price.

D-rock likes this.
  18. heypartner

Here's a nice quote I just found from Quin Snyder regarding accountability and ownership of defensive play. Fits this Player's-Only Huddle perfectly.

"When I was first hired, defensively we were awful. I was the guy promising that we would be a good defensive team. Better adjust, better keep working, don’t adjust too much, what do you believe in, don’t abandon just because things are going right. Keep working, keep practicing, but don’t be stubborn or stupid... If there are changes you need to make, make them. What happens eventually, accountability becomes ownership. Suddenly instead of you always being the one to hold them accountable, they start holding each other accountable. When you get from accountability to ownership, now you got something." -- Quin Snyder

D-rock, Deuce, DreamShook and 4 others like this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

THIS^

HP3 likes this.
  20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont get to watch every game... but I havent been seeing either instance happening...

With CP3, I'm not talking about over accentuating contact... I'm talking the no contact, jerk the head back and crumble to the floor stuff when he wasnt even touched... like he used to do with Clippers...

and I havent noticed Harden deliberately hooking the defender coming off a screen and pulling him into him as he heaves the ball up - just to try and draw the foul - for awhile now... like he used to do a couple seasons back....

imo... both of those moves are blatant cheating... yer trying to trick the official into calling something that wasn't there... personally, I think their reps from these type moves are why they sometimes dont get the respect (and calls) from officials... I didnt really see either happening last year - which i'm thankful for... but if yer saying its still happening - then maybe they've just gotten sneakier about it...

and as far as 'whatever it takes to win' - i draw the line at cheating... and it's a sad commentary on society when people dont draw that distinction... imo...

jus sayin...

#80 kjayp, Nov 3, 2018
    DreamShook likes this.