1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players making coaches

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Air Langhi, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I guess this is mainly about mike d'antoni.

Is this guy just a sham? It looks like phoenix isn't missing him. So is he really that great of a coach or did steve nash earn him all that money.

Similarly how great of coach is pop? Tim Duncan just can't carry the team for 82 games and they are they 7th or 8th seed.

2. Shaud

Shaud Member

He's coaching the Knicks. The talent difference between the Knicks and Suns team he coached is huge and it's not just Steve Nash.

Now he might be overrated because nobody believes he can win a Championship playing that style but I don't think it matters who coaches this current Knicks team they would still be pretty bad.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

D'Antoni is a crappy coach. He will never win anything in this league

I put Doc Rivers in the same class. He might be average at best, without the Big 3, he's nothing

4. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Steve Nash has earned alot of people money.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Also Mike Brown.

6. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

To me, all coaches need star players to win big. Mister "I don't play bad rookies" is overrated but you put two legit stars and he will win now look at Phil Jacckkksssoonnn, the dude has won 10 titles but has had 3 1/2 of the greatest players of all time on his side. Now I respect the job he has done the last two years, A LOT, because he has done it with 1 superstar and 1 star(Pau) instead of two legit superstars. Coach Pop has been and is a good coach but take Duncan away and they will struggglleee.

7. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

He owes Lebron his life.

8. ScolaIsBallin

ScolaIsBallin Member

Most overrated coaches:
    1. Doc Rivers
    2. Mike D'antoni
    3. Mike Brown

9. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Phil Jackson?

10. foo82

foo82 Member

I dunno. I always thought pops as one of the greatest coaches out there. He doesn't really play each game to win, but rather focuses on the end result which is a championship. Not many coaches purposely limit everyone's minutes the way he does.

11. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Best Coaches - Rudy T and Scotty Brooks.Avery...

12. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Yes absolutely, I would put Mike Brown over all of them, I never see him talking durring timeouts sometimes I think LBJ is the coach of that team, all he does is giving LBJ high fives throughout the game.

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

early to tell that scotty is one of the best coaches, he has long way to go to prove that ..

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

15. Mr. Space City

mike brown is a great defensive coach. he's just inept on the offensive end which is shadowed because he has a great scorer like lebron.

16. Mr. Space City

[​IMG]

:grin:

1 person likes this.
  17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you make that? If yes, that's awesome :grin:

As for the PJ detractors, please realize that MJ won squat without PJ, that Kobe won squat without PJ and that Shaq got his ass handed to him by Hakeem before he worked with PJ. If all he really had to do was watch Jordan, Kobe and Shaq go to work, then how come they only won 6 titles with MJ and three titles with Shaq and Kobe? Good players don't win titles, good teams do(just ask LBJ when he face off against the Spurs), and very few people know how to create a good team better than PJ.

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

scotty brooks is taking what he learned in clutch city to his team

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Avery Johnson? He totally blows as a coach. I don't even know why he WAS a head coach on the highest level. It seems the only reason was because he started campaigning to be one while he was still a player, and people began referring to him as a "coach-in-waiting." Never did a thing to earn the right to be a head coach, though. I don't see what people see in that guy.

20. Mr. Space City

naw, not mine.

but still funny to this day :grin: