1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[player development] which strategy will best help the rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by smoothie, Nov 28, 2010.

1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

1. bring them along slowly.

2. throw them into the fire.

most coaches need to win in order to keep their job. i can see why guys like JVG had the reputation of not playing rookies and using "bringing him along slowly" as an excuse. jeff said once "i play the guys who give me the best chance to win." that makes a lot of sense if you are trying to win now. but if you're team is planning for the future, player development trumps the win loss record. on the other side of things is RA. he has a long history of successful and even surprising player development. yet, he too follows the "bring them along slowly" method. hill and bud get spotty minutes, patterson gets sent to the vipers. now, you might say sure they are playing poorly and don't deserve their minutes. he plays them when they deserve it. but that's pretty much exactly how JVG explained it. rick is playing them only when they give him a chance to win.

i've always thought throwing them into the fire and letting them make mistakes which they can learn from is a more effective way to develop a young player. look at the celtics for example. perkins and rondo were pretty garbage early in their careers, not earning a lot of minutes, and being brought along slowly. then ainge trades for allen and kg. suddenly the roster is gutted and these two young guys were asked to step up to the challenge of being starters, and fast. they did. now if perkins was still playing spotty minutes behind jefferson would be have developed into a starter that fast? if chris paul didnt go down last year, darren collison would still be a backup PG with no experience. poppovic threw parker into the fire out of necessity. i know thats only a few examples, i can bore you with more but this post is getting long enough.

the point is, nothing beats real life experience. you can train a guy all you want in practice, you can send him to the vipers, you can give him spotty minutes... but he will still lack experience. it's pretty clear that the rockets will not be contending for a championship this season. i'd like to see the young guys get some valuable experience on the court, rather than be brought along slowly so that battier, hayes, and miller can sing "remember the time" by michael jackson. am i wrong? if you think these players (or the rockets in general) will be better served either short term or long term by bringing them along slowly, then kindly make your case. if it is a good argument i will stand corrected.

2. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

all rondo had to do that year was play defense.

3. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

The fact of the matter is that there are guys ahead of them in the rotation, veteran guys. Some of you guys are all hyped up on these guys which is great cuz I think they have tons of talent. But they are behind in the pecking order. Hill, Bud, Patterson, Taylor and even Ish need to continue to keeping working and learn the game from the vets. How to approach the game mentally as well as physically. How to prepare for a long NBA season and playoffs. Earn their time and soak up everything they can from the vets. They'll get their chance, remember in only takes one injury to get that chance. With this team that seems probable.

You can't take "garbage players" give them time, and think because we threw them to the fire that they'll be what we need. I'm not calling them garbage players but they need to be patient and fans need to be patient.

I don't feel we are rebuilding at this point yet because everything still hinges on how the season plays out, the market plays out and how Yao health plays out and we still have the CBA just around the corner. IMO Morey is looking for opportunity to land that star while still moving the Rockets into a good position for when the dust settles over the CBA.

At this point I still want the Rockets to win and that doesn't include benching the vets and giving the rookies big minutes.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Since the expectations for this team are now low....toss em into the fire.

DD

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's what im sayin'!

6. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

similar question not directed at rookies, but rather brooks and yao...do we bring them along slowly? or do we throw them back in together? they said yao could come back fri (mem) and brooks sat (chi)? i'm curious how rick will handle adding two big pieces to our team. if yao isn't going to play back to backs still than wouldn't yall prefer he come back on sat with brooks so we can have a full strength team?

now onto the op:
    we have two rookies in ish and pat, pat is in the d league, and ish is prolly gonna lose pt soon depending on how fast they bring brooks back (straight into the starting line up, or off the bench, or starting, but not playing starters minutes) there really isnt room for ish or pat to get any pt considering we have chuck and luis at the 4, and battier and chase at the 3.

in general, id prefer that the coach eases rookies into the game, let them make mistakes, but don't play them 25 min a game, 15-20 for the first half of the season seems appropriate and if they find their way, increase it.

life as an nba coach is hard with 12 very talented players and 3-4 have to sit, our worse players are still damn good if theyre in the nba

7. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Unless they are superstar talents, it is best to bring them along slowly, look how well it worked out for Landry and Brooks.

That being said, you have to get them time on the court to improve. Adelman appears to be doing this with Hill in the last few games, which shows flashes of his potential and will hopefully lead to him being a more complete player.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

We can still feasably sneak into the playoffs since a couple of normally good teams are hovering around .500

I'd rather not throw away the season so soon.

Hill is being developed, Budinger is being developed.

9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. Let rookies earn their minutes in practice.

Player development is all about making them earn their minutes. If they are good enough, they can beat Battier and Hayes out for a job.

I mean, aren't you just talking about Battier and Hayes? Do you really think someone out of the rotation is better than Brooks/Lowry, Martin and Scola? and Yao for that matter.

imso, Bud is getting spotty minutes for a reason. Hill is getting increasing minutes. Patterson talk is purely speculative, and don't say "But how else will we know unless he plays." That comment is strictly about us fans. To imply the coaches don't know from watching them is an argument that every fan of every lottery team says, too. Are you calling yourself a perennial lottery team fan, now?

This fails as much as it works. Lottery teams do this all the time and end up developing a player who thinks he is entitled....entitled to playing time and entitled to not working hard.

Player management is about challenging the players. Challenge them in practice to wrestle away the starting position. Challenging them to lose without giving their best is what you are risking by "throwing them into the fire."

Are you a Celtics fan? I mean, do you know the history of Rondo? I took that so-called "gutting" of the the celtics was a "win now" mentality, and they fully were ready to start Rondo after making him work for it, early. Rondo's role at Boston has always been WIN NOW!

I'll say again, the majority of perpetual lottery teams don't require rookies to earn time in practice. They throw them out there to sell tickets. Do you see what is happening with DeMarcus Cousins?

This is NOT about "bringing them along slowly" this is about making players earn their role. Do you not believe football handles it this way?

Hopefully, I "kindly made my case."

#9 heypartner, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

Well, considering that you already lost a few games early in the season because you didn't play Hill at all, you might as well play him now that the season is at the low point. Oh wait that's exactly what's happening, lol.

11. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

Adelman has started to play Hill and Bud exactly the amount of minutes they should get. Bud has been terrible, and isn't making the most of his minutes. Hill is getting better with each passing game and as a result is seeing more game time now. As far as Patterson goes, all of our rookies have gone to the d-league the first year and should expect as much. Unless we get Blake Griffin or John Wall, I expect this trend to continue.