1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pj Tucker misses NBA All Defense Team by 1 point

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by motleydeflep6, May 22, 2019.

1. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Just because he's the best defender on the Rockets doesn't mean he's top 10 in the league. He's no shot blocker, and Harden averaged more steals/deflections per game. Correct me if I'm wrong. He definitely holds his own every night, and i know blocks and steals aren't everything, but y'all are being a lil' bias. Some nights it took Harden and Gordon to shut down opposing big men to help the Rockets win games. Tucker is awesome for the Rockets but does a lot of that doesn't show up on the stat sheet. People who voted for him probably watched more Rocket games than those who didn't, and know his true value.

RichieBanks likes this.
  2. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Lol zing!!

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Kawhi Leonard was a mediocre defender this regular season, and pleeeeeenty of Raptors fans would confirm that.

4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He was certainly a top 10 defender in the NBA this season.

On that list you can argue he's better than Bledsoe, George, Thompson and Holiday.

5. Nook

Nook Member

He looked like the normal Kawhi Leonard to me on the defensive end. He is the only guy in the league that can defend 5 positions on the floor well.

I love Tucker and think he is a very good defender, but Leonard is on a different level than the other guys on the list.

daywalker02 and BaselineFade like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

He'd probably get better recognition (through sheer domination) if he was permitted to fight in his weight/height class... he is a small forward who is constantly guarding bigger power forwards - and even centers on occasion...

jus saying...

Shark44 and BaselineFade like this.
  7. PlayBall

PlayBall Member

Maybe, but defending multiple positions well is a HUGE part of his value. So you're basically saying he'd be more recognized if he gave up what made him special in the first place? Doubtful.

RocketDream likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Supporting Member

You're talking about something different. Kawhi has the ability to guard 5 guys and be on a different level. In the playoffs, Kawhi is playing like the defensive animal that he is.

He was mediocre in the regular season. That's widely agreed and the stats reflect it. Certainly not the normal Kawhi, for the majority of the season Kawhi was not even the best defender on his team. He rested heavily on that end for whatever reason, and the reward should go to the person who did it not to the person who can do it.

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'm saying the guy is asked to cover bigger dudes pretty much all game every game... if we didnt play undersized the vast majority of the time the guy might have more juice to be even better... and get the benefit of some highlights when matched up against some guys he can actually see eye to eye with...

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha. Hey, I think Tucker might be the Rockets most widely liked player..

BaselineFade likes this.
  11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Tucker should have gotten it over Kawhi. Kawhi was coasting a bit this year on defense, and in general -- he must have led the league in DNP-rest games.

12. biina

biina Member

At some point, one needs to question the senility of those voting.

At this point, the question is moot!

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We're definitely being biased, no doubt about it.

However, I remember Chris Webber or maybe another commentator talking in the playoffs about how they believe Tucker could be first team all-NBA defense while he was locking down Durant in game 3 or 4.

BasketballMind likes this.
  14. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Not talking about Rox or Rox fans. Talking about the rest of the NBA and their fans.

15. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

People really dont get this is by position? Bringing up marcus smart lmao

16. HROZ

HROZ Member

Eric Bledsoe ?

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Tucker is never going to lead the league in steals or blocks, where he excels is pure defensive position. He's a move his feet, hustle, fight for lose balls/rebounds, block out and just get in your shorts kind of defender. He's not a star, but he's the kind of glue guy every great team needs--think Horry, Elle, etc. It looks like the guys voted to the All-Defense teams at Forward are considered stars. PJ is our junkyard dawg and has become the defensive nemesis for other teams when they play the Rockets. Shame he didn't get any recognition from the NBA.

pippendagimp likes this.
  18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

That sucks for PJ. I hope it motivates him to improve being so close but not quite there.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I bet Tilman sabotaged the vote to keep PJ's value down.

20. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Tucker is 6’6”. The only spots he would be considered tall for are either guard position. He’s “undersized”, height wise, for the 3 as well, but I think it actually benefits him guarding 4s because of how big he is. He can stick with the bigger slower wings pretty well, but I think he’d wear down a lot quicker guarding your typical wings all game every game.