1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ Tucker / Mbah a Moute for All-Defensive Honors!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Apr 6, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

With the thread this week of Harden worthy of all-defense 1st / 2nd team, I'm proposing two guys who are actually worthy, of which 1 just needs to be in. There's no way we win without these 2 guys, no matter what defensive game plan we would've thrown out there. To me it's difficult to say which guy should be in there, but I have to give the nod to PJ since he's starting and the praise he gets from MDA lately.

However, looking at ESPN's picks then I'd really give the nod to Mbah a Moute over Convington easily:
    - Convington & Butler at SF, with Mbah a Moute at least as honorable mention after PG13 and some Jazz fella.
    - Draymond Green & Al Horford at PF with Aminu, AD & Giannis as honorable mentions.

PFs would be much tougher to get in for PJ, though I think he's definitely better than Al Horford and I haven't seen Green do his usual work. Celtics defense is really team work and coaching, not Horford's great individual defensive prowess.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...nse-defensive-player-year-best-picks-position

What you guys think, should PJ or Mbah make it? If so, which one is more worthy? Hope some of you can provide some advanced stats to back up your claims. The eye test is enough for me to be convinced both could be on the 2nd team and that's unbiased.

I'd get it though if PG13 and Butler make it at SF + Green & AD at PF though Green hasn't played all that great . Convington & Horford would not in my humble opinion, but maybe you guys can enlighten me since ESPN doesn't provide anything to really back up their claims for most of these guys.

DonKnock and saleem like this.
  2. OTMax

OTMax Member

Seriously, nobody?

3. Artestsuckskobe

Luc if he started and was healthy all year we could talk. Tucker no, just a guy that does his job well. Can we revoke this guys ability to make a thread?

4. OTMax

OTMax Member

God bless you too

5. ballscientist1

I'd give it to young players:
    Spurs: K Anderson, Murray
    Celtics: Brown and Tatum
    Warriors: Jordan Bell

6. D-rock

D-rock Member

You give and you give and you give. Still doesn't make it right.

Recognition should go to most deserving this season regardless of age.

DonKnock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

@basketballscientist1

Yeah, I haven’t seen Jordan Bell do anything except get dunked on. Alex Abrines.....Dennis Smith jr

Bell don’t want anything to do with Harden/CP3 or Flash Gordon

#7 ApacheWarrior, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Harden, EG and CP3 were taking turns taking Bell to the woodshed when he got switched. Bell gets dunked on a lot.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jordan Bell is your classic case of "Elite Athlete in College, but this is the Pros..."

He could be the greatest G-League player of all-time though, ala T-Will or Anthony Randolph.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Just wait until the playoffs. Bell is going to have his head spinning. Crazy.
    Capela has a 101 DRtg predominately vs starters. Bell is 103 DRtg as a back up. Capela would be far more worthy.

DonKnock and D-rock like this.
  11. OTMax

OTMax Member

I really don’t get you guys, nobody thinks one of PJ and Luc has been good enough to warrant all-defense?

12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Luc has been the better of the two in terms of straight on ball and help defense.

PJ has been better at things like defensive rebounding, loose ball recovery, post defense.

I think they complement each other well.

Both deserve consideration, I think Luc should get on but I value his style of defensive play more personally.

OTMax likes this.
  13. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

They both deserve consideration as do Paul and Capela at least but if we only get one I gotta go with PJ Tucker. Two reasons:

1. He's another no-stats all-star for us. He barely shows up in the boxscore but has an outrageously good +/- while on the court. He's a huge difference maker for us every single night in every way but especially on defense. And he's become and amazing 3 and D player for us.

2. PJ and his wife were kind enough to come to the Morey-produced musical I directed that opened tonight, SMALL BALL, along with Mike D'Antoni, Chris Paul, Trevor Ariza, and Ryan Anderson. Didn't see Luc around but I ain't mad. I can't believe so many of my heroes were at our theater tonight and enjoyed the play enough to stay long after taking pictures and talking with the cast. Daryl always gets mad when I don't include the link for sales so here it is. We're Houston's only Pay-What-You-Can theatre and one of very few in the country where you can pay whatever you can afford. Get your PWYC tickets at http://smallballmusical.com

And if you'd like to meet Daryl Morey and ask him anything, he'll be at the show Sunday for a post-show talkback with the cast and crew. Here's a direct link to purchase tickets for this Sunday's 2:30 p.m. matinee: https://bit.ly/2GIlMCL

Sorry to hijack the thread at all. It's such a great one. Just riding very high on having gotten to entertain so many of my heroes after the great entertainment they've all given me over the years.

Back to talking the embarrassment of riches that is this year's Houston Rockets.

It makes me wish there were a team award for "most improved" or even "most improved defense" because I think we'd be real contenders for either award.

And it's not just D'Antoni/Bzdelik and our incredible roster. Morey built the roster and in so doing I really don't think it's too much to say Morey and our coaches and players are changing the way the sport in front of our eyes this year. Daryl always tells me he'd never win "executive of the year," but if he doesn't win it THIS year, that would just be criminal.

Deuce, OTMax and peleincubus like this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

It really is amazing to have this discussion again on this forum...... besides beverly it has been a while since we've had a problem choosing from our roster. Great problem to have and it's such an amazing luxury to have multiple players that are excellent in defense. Very well done Morey!

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

So with the sky falling and so many people understanding the impact of the Prince, can we finally get some thoughts on this? Even Harden's thread for all defense had way more replies, but clutch fans is full of people who rather be negative or criticize I guess.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

How about now? ;)