1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PJ TUCKER A ROCKET

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jul 1, 2017.

?

Do you like the signing of PJ Tucker to a four-year, $32 million deal?

Poll closed Jul 22, 2017.
  1. YES

477 vote(s)
    84.4%
  2. NO

88 vote(s)
    15.6%
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

We were the third best team in the WCF last season.

If you want to see if we have inproved enough to take the Spurs or Warriors out, you wait till the playoffs. I think we have improved enough to take Spurs out in playoffs because of CP3 and his decision making but not enough to take the Warriors out. Again PG vs Tucker at the time I made the comment.

What exactly do you want me to give the Rockets and Tucker? A regular season achievement award?

I am sorry but I don't put too much weight on regular season especially with Harden on this team.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Just out of curiosity, do you watch most of our games start to finish? Or are you more casual with fandom, like watch a few games during the year and then get more into the team come playoffs?

wesbound and BigShasta like this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I watch 90%+ of the regular season games.

Miss only a handful of them here and there.

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Bro. Shut upppp

wesbound and fckbandwagons like this.
  5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Outside of adding another star, I can't think of a better player to switch onto Curry/Klay/Durant/Draymond.

Fantastic signing for dirt cheap. He has made us better in so many ways. We have replaced Bev and then some.

6. hakeemthagreat

He's our Draymond. He's the one that allows us to play smallball with anyone. Notice in that Portland game we went small and destroyed them defensively. That's the reason PJ is here

s3ts, vince, wesbound and 2 others like this.
  7. don grahamleone

What were you thinking bro?

wesbound likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I guess it was downright an ugly argument and heated, of course the Rockets are doing very well.

We shall see for the playoffs.

9. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

10. don grahamleone

Haha... the whole thing is a great read now that PJ is playing. I had to laugh at you a bit.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure, glad to be wrong, but Tucker isn't one of my personal favs......I always looked to have options that are younger and can play actually 3-4 years down the road.

But I guess it's win or never in these 2 years. He delivered.

My argument was also about the future, and guys like PJ can only play as long as Harden and CP are ok healthwise and at the peak of their games, once they fall off, PJ is not going to do much either.

As you said I was not 'thinking straight'. I wasn't totally wrong about GSW either, they are still very good.

#751 daywalker02, Dec 18, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    vince and don grahamleone like this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

its a good thing PJ cares about all the intangibles. that alone extends his career

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about 2 million Mbah Moute vs. 7 million Tucker..... Mbah doing more or the same.

14. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I think Tucker is one of the best defensive matchups against Draymond in the league. Who else in the NBA can handle his mobility and strength? There are a couple, but not many. I personally believe that when you stop Draymond, the Warriors magic significantly slows down. He is certainly not as flashy as others, but IMO, his matchup advantages are the toughest thing about guarding the Warriors.

s3ts likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

i dont think so. i believe tucker has a bit of an edge on what he brings defensively and his versatility there, which is the primary reason he is here

BigShasta likes this.
  16. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

We have LMAM for 2M, but he is not a 2M player. That was a gift (and a one-year gift at that). You can't rely on those kinds of discounts always coming, let alone working out. I love LMAM, but you have to lock guys up longer term when possible. What do you think the probability of his signing with us again next year for just 2M is? I don't put the odds very high.

BigShasta likes this.
  17. wesbound

wesbound Member

I don't get why so many would belittle the teams success during the regular season. Yes it's the regular season and how a team plays in the regular season should be view as team building towards the playoff and it should not be ignore.
    Majority of championship teams had a good to great regular season so I don't get why so many ppl under plays the regular season doesn't mean sh*t.
    The Roxs are playing with so much poise and have right personnel for each position. And it's almost like a complete diff team compare to the last few years in defense & offense.
    It's obvious the playoff matters and that's why there's only one champ a year there's no 2nd or 3rd place.
    Harden has been doing it by himself the last few years and he finally have a squad that includes cp3, healthy Gordon, the growth of Capela & lock down defenders in Prince Moute, Tucker, Ariza, & an improved Anderson to help him this year.

So for so many that kept saying it's the regular season it's not the playoff....
    We'll tell you what... you can have a seat & let the other fans enjoy the regular season success & comment when PLAYOFF comes.

Enjoy the process!
    The Houston process not that Philly Cheesesteak process.

swordghost likes this.
  18. s3ts

s3ts Member

Agreed. I posted on another thread, PJ reminds me a lot of Dray.

The only thing PJ doesn't do is get 7 APG, because he doesn't play downhill on a fast break like Dray does. Otherwise, he's almost exactly the same save for a slight difference in defensive positioning -- either for rebounds or defense.

Otherwise, he plays hard-D against any 2-3-4-5 in this era of basketball. He can get in their heads because he's mentally strong, and sits on the wing for wide-open 3s that make huge impact especially down the stretch.

I ate crow on the opening night against GSW, and he ended up getting 20 pts. Was HUGE defensively. Drained 2 HUGE FTs in the clutch.

His biggest test for me is when we play them again and have to match up w/ Dray. If he can find ways to cancel out Dray's impact, I'm going to freaking cry. This guy has been so huge for us.

Chuck who? LOL, jk. I like Chuck too.

glenadyll and daywalker02 like this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am sure Dray has a more consistent play.

PJ can really ball on a winning team, has done it with the Raps.....it's late but better than never.

s3ts likes this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

Agreed. I'm just hoping that PJ can get on that level and compete against Dray, like really really destroy Dray in some of those games.

The passion is there, saw it when he was playing opening night vs GSW. If he can improve his game, focus on the improvements he needs to get at Dray, I won't even care if he takes half the nights off. All I care about is PJ killing Dray, and we already can beat GSW.

Call me crazy, whatever. I think we can beat GSW if we find a way to neutralize Dray. That's the key for me.