1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pitchfork (website) (new music)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by peleincubus, Jun 9, 2017.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Back in the day I used this website to check out new music. Today though for example on the front page they have Lorde's new single Sober, and a Miley Cyrus song they are highlighting. Ill go ahead and say that's not the type of new music I'm looking for at all.

Other like minded people out there. What do you use these days to find new and lesser known music? Besides from friends and family of course.

2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Soundcloud and Spotify "similar" artists.

moestavern19 likes this.
  3. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Apple Music.

Spotify, Tidal, SoundCloud, etc as well. Discovering new music is easier now than it's ever been before.

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I suppose I did not think about that for some reason. For some reason I was more focused on reading reviews for albums. You're right though not much easier than listening to "similar" artists.

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Spotify's new release radar is awesome.

6. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Youtube mostly these days. I don't like Spotify or Pandora because while they sometimes suggest bands that I like, most of the time their selections are pretty lame. For some reason Youtube suggests band/songs that I like more often. Listening to punk, the easiest way used to be to buy a record label compilation (most were between $.99-$2.99). There was always new bands on each volume that would pique my interest. It was fun discovering bands like that. Now, I might find a new band I like once a year (if that). Are good bands getting rarer, or am I just getting that old? Anyways, the best way to discover bands is and always will be at live venues. Go support live music, drink beer, and discover new music.

7. Svpernaut

As a festival goer, I tend to look up bands playing festivals I've attended in the past or would like to attend. Coachella as an example, comes out with lineup posters, where the bigger the name is, the bigger / more popular the band is.

It is also cool to see over a few years where the acts that were the smallest names on the post, move up to be headliners in a few years. Arcade Fire is a good example.

Poster example:
    [​IMG]

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

b****fork is so 2006.

Spotify will now play similar artists after you create a playlist and run through it. Really nice feature. Been finding some deep cuts by older artists and discovering some new tracks I dig. A++++++++ Would listen again.

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NPR Music has really great mixes of artists I would've never discovered anywhere else.

10. Svpernaut

You can also play the "Artist Radio" station for that artist. Not the Artists's page, but a radio station based on the artist.

Seattle radio station KEXP has a great YouTube Channel where they post songs/sets all the time. A lot of indie rock, but they mix some great stuff in too. I got into Charles Bradley because of his performance on there a few years back -

11. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Charles Bradley did a guitar-only interview/performance when I was at KVRX, UT's student radio station. Check it out:

Svpernaut likes this.
  12. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If you go to the 8.0+ reviews section it's pretty easy to filter through the categories of music you like. I still find a lot of new artists on there, but it's one of the many ways I discover new music these days, the options are endless.