1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Pistons Possibly Trying To Land T-MAC for Billups and T-Prince

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fbagulbagul, Jun 18, 2008.

1. fbagulbagul

fbagulbagul Member

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080618/SPORTS03/306180022/1051

Pistons' most likely deals: Tracy McGrady, Carmelo Anthony, or ... nothing

t's silly. But when Joe Dumars announced that he would try to shake up his Pistons core, he practically begged people to speculate. And considering Dumars is unlikely to swing a deal before the draft June 26, or even the start of free agency July 1, this gives us a bunch of time to either a) work or b) dream up trade scenarios. (Or, in my case, both at once!)

Let's look at this logically. The Pistons have six highly regarded starters: Chauncey Billups, Rip Hamilton, Antonio McDyess, Tayshaun Prince, Rasheed Wallace and Rodney Stuckey.

If you were looking to make a trade, and you had six highly regarded starters, wouldn't you try to package two for a superstar? Of course you would.
    SCENARIO ONE: That Carmelo fellow

The Carmelo Anthony rumors make sense. The Pistons can send Billups and Prince to Denver for a package headlined by Anthony.

The Nuggets probably would improve next year because Billups and Prince are a better fit with Allen Iverson than Anthony is. The Pistons, meanwhile, would have a core of Stuckey, Rip Hamilton and Anthony for the next few years. Anthony isn't perfect -- he seems to avoid defense at all times, except when he gets arrested -- but he is incredibly talented and only 24. He is worth the risk.

But what if the Nuggets balk? Where would the Pistons turn? Let's keep the Carmelo logic: The Pistons probably need a team in the Western Conference, in playoff contention, willing to deal a superstar for two starters -- one of whom almost certainly would be Billups.

Follow that train of thought, and it won't take you long to end up in Houston.
    SCENARIO TWO: T-Mac

The Rockets have never made it out of the first round of the playoffs with Tracy McGrady. They have tried a disciplined coach (Jeff Van Gundy) and a loose coach (Rick Adelman). They had Yao Ming complement McGrady and had McGrady complement Yao. This year, they even tried winning without Yao, who was hurt. And for a while, that looked like it would work. But it didn't.

Right now, McGrady is a better player than Anthony. But he also is five years older and not quite as durable. Plus, the Rockets have another star -- Yao -- so they can trade McGrady and still plausibly contend for a title.

How about McGrady straight up for Billups and Prince? It works under the salary cap. And if Houston is willing to part with McGrady, the deal makes some sense for both teams.

Billups and Prince could elevate Houston in the West next year. And the Pistons would start Stuckey, Hamilton, McGrady, Wallace and McDyess. That lineup could contend for a title.

McGrady has pouted on occasion and coasted at other times. But he has two years left on his contract. The Pistons could figure that McGrady would play hard in year one because he is on a new team, and then play hard in year two because he would be playing for a new contract.

And speaking of new contracts, this brings us to ...
    SCENARIO THREE: The Pistons bide their time

Other than Anthony and McGrady, I don't see any true superstars who could be available and make sense for the Pistons. They still could make a trade, but they would have to shoot lower.

This scenario still could land the Pistons a star. Wallace's $13.68-million salary comes off the books next summer. As of now, they should be roughly $11 million under the salary cap in 2009.

And in the summer of 2010, they should be way, way under the cap. That, by the way, is the summer when LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh could all hit free agency.

This is why Dumars is in no hurry to move Wallace. 'Sheed has value because of his unique skill set and expiring deal -- but the elite teams, who love his skill set, won't want a one-year rental, and the bad teams, who would love an expiring deal, don't care about the skill set. For that reason, he might have more value to the Pistons than anybody else.

Fans might not like it, but Wallace easily could be a Piston again next year. But his days as the most gifted player on the roster are numbered. You can be sure of that.

Contact MICHAEL ROSENBERG at 313-222-6052 or mrosenberg@freepress.com.

2. rocketslover

rocketslover Rookie

probably not happening if we are still building around Yao and T-mac, although if t-mac is traded to detroit wouldnt he cause the bad luck of never getting out of the first round with detroit?

3. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

Interesting

4. MD_in_Training

What makes this guy think we'll want Prince and Billups? We're actually good at the 3 with Battier. If we trade with Detroit (heaven forbid), it'll have to include Hamilton.

5. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I like that trade more than the Sheed+Billips or Sheed+Prince idea, but I still like Tmac too much to give up on him.

We need health more than we need a restructure.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Well, since arriving in Detroit six years ago and becoming a full time NBA starter, Chauncey Billups has played an average of 77 games per year. Tayshaun Prince has never missed a game due to injury. Ever.

So it seems, one easy way to get healthy might actually be to restructure.

7. WNBA

WNBA Member

If this trade is on the table, I'd do it in a heart beat.

8. Zfan

Zfan Member

Do you seriously think Shane is a better player than Prince?

9. dexkk

dexkk Member

So who plays SG for the Rockets? Head?

Yes, Billups is an upgrade for PG. But this trade doesn't make sense. If Tmac is to be traded, they need to give up Rip who is their most efficient player.

10. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I like the trade, but I have 2 problems with it.

1) I love Prince and would take him over Shane, but I don't think it's that big of an upgrade....If possible (I haven't checked salaries) I'd rather get Rip than Prince, even if we have to add more to the deal.

2) This could take us out of the Lebron/Wade/Bosh sweepstakes. When do Billups and Prince's contracts expire?

I'd think hard about doing this trade, and because I like Billups and Prince so much I would probably do it.....if we didn't have Battier.

Pugs

11. MD_in_Training

When did I say I think Shane is better than Prince? I'm merely pointing out the fact that should we make that trade, we'd be missing a 2, and overflowing at the 3.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IF there are any legs to this rumor, I hope the Rockets move Battier and change for a player....like Artest?

Yao
    Scola
    Prince
    Artest
    Billups

Siiick

13. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I'd pull the trigger on the trade & try to move Battier for another player...

14. WNBA

WNBA Member

Battier and Alston , ......could get you a sg better than Head in this league.

Adelman would definitely take Prince over Battier. JVG would not.

15. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

again, billups + rip for tmac + alston (or bjax) makes more sense for both teams.

we can add one or two picks if they want.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I never liked trading McGrady away. I still believe he and Yao can get us a title. But T-Mac for Billups and Prince aren't too shabby. The problem is, we would have to make other deals to balance the roster.

As this deal is, we'd have two starting SF and no SG. We'd probably have to deal Battier for a good offensive SG (Miller?). Then we would pretty much be gutting the whole starting lineup. Yike!

17. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

so without mcgrady.....who is going to be our play maker?

also, it really sucks hearing how we never made it past the first round and what not WHEN WE NEVER HAD OUR MAX POTENTIAL. for once, i would just really like to see what the rockets our made of with full ammunition.

18. RoxTurk

RoxTurk Member

I'll do that . After I'll trade battier and some pieces for getting a scorer shooting guard .

19. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I really like Billups and Prince's game, so I'd probably do it. I'd prefer to give our core another go and we probably couldn't roll out Battier/Prince on the wings. Still, that's a package of solid players for Tmac.

20. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Include Rip and it sounds appealing but as of now Prince/Billups wouldn't work. T-Mac has way too much value. Billups/Prince would work but would take some getting used to.

Billips/Alston/Brooks
    Hamilton/Jackson/Head
    Battier/Harris/Novak
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Deke/Woods