1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Piston Powered: Is it time for the Piston to trade Blake Griffin

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clips/Roxfan, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

by Aaron Kellerstrass

[​IMG]

I predicted that the next 10 games would decide if Detroit was going to blow it up, and just one game in it appears as though that time is getting near. A depressing fourth week brought few positive trends for individual players but started the narratives that are likely to dominate the rest of the season, including whether the Pistons should trade Griffin and start over. Here’s the weekly stock exchange for Week 4.

Griffin has only played two games and it would be unfair to judge his performance as he tries to get into game shape and integrate into an offense that was actually clicking in his absence. Detroit has the 10th best offensive rating in the league and have looked great at times running the offense through Drummond and Luke Kennard. When the Pistons are moving the ball effectively, they have proven that they can score and are fun to watch.

That is why it was so disappointing to see the Pistons almost instantly revert to bully-Blake isolation ball when Griffin returned. Any team would have some challenges getting their superstar back involved after an injury but watching the Pistons sometimes dynamic offense regress to the boring, ineffective isolation team from last year had some wondering if now might be the time to trade Griffin and if the Pistons could possibly be better without him.

Obviously, the Pistons are not going to get back a player of Griffin’s talent or stature in any trade, but would they be better off with a few solid players than one great one? Detroit lacks depth at practically every position. They are also terrible defensively, which isn’t likely to improve much, as Griffin is not a great defender and the Pistons still lack a reliable backup center and small forward.

Trading Griffin now would be selling low, but if Detroit continues to falter, they have to consider this option, even if it means eating a trade that might not be palatable to some fans.

We’ve seen what this offense can do without Griffin, so it is now fair to ask if the Pistons would be better off solidifying their porous defense and adding some depth than they would be counting on Griffin to bail them out. If Detroit could get a competent 3-and-D wing, a backup center and a future pick for Griffin, they must consider it.

It is also fair to question the front office’s choice to build a team around so many injury prone players. Even if they get lesser players in return for Griffin or Jackson, if those players are consistently on the floor, they’ll still be coming out ahead.

The Pistons can’t keep putting themselves in a position where their entire season rests on whether Griffin and Jackson can stay healthy. Detroit would be selling low but could still end up being a better team in terms of defense, depth and health. If the Pistons want to get better without a full-blown rebuild, trading Griffin might be their best move.

The Pistons are only 1.5 games out of the playoffs, so it’s not like they can’t turn it around, but they haven’t even played the Celtics or Bucks, nor any of the top teams in the West and have already lost games to the Hawks, Bulls, Wizards and Hornets – teams that they must dominate to be competitive.

If the Pistons lose any of the upcoming games to the Bulls or Hornets, they will have put themselves into a big hole before even facing any of the best teams. If Detroit’s chances of making the playoffs rest on an extended winning streak on a west coast road trip in March, they are doomed.

It would be very disappointing if the Pistons didn’t make the playoffs, but it would be far more disappointing if they did so and ended up at the 9-11 seed, which is exactly where they are headed.

I am not pro-tanking under almost any circumstances but have also had enough of watching a team whose ceiling is the 8 seed, the no man’s land of being both irrelevant and not even getting rewarded with a high pick. The Pistons realistically have another month to right the ship, as they are unlikely to make any trades before Dec. 15, but it is time for this front office to show that they are not going to allow the Pistons to lose another decade to mediocrity.

If the Pistons can’t turn it around, something must be done, and all options are on the table, including a complete teardown. The Pistons have a few days to stew about the horrible loss to the Hornets and practice before another winnable game against the Bulls, so it is time to see what this team is made of. If they continue to falter, even with Griffin and Rose, it is time to pull the plug and hit reset.

https://pistonpowered.com/2019/11/18/detroit-pistons-stock-exchange-time-to-trade-blake-griffin/

Vivi likes this.
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think Blake is in the Dwight-light of his career.
    Time for him to see himself as a 3rd maybe 4th option

He still maybe good but. . . he is just not THE GUY

Rocket River

BigShasta and FrontRunner like this.
  3. jb86

jb86 Member

Yes its time. I wish we had the draft picks to get him. But he would definitely be 3rd option here.

jcmoon and da_juice like this.
  4. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

This is a team that could really use a durrell morreigh

BigShasta and Jontro like this.
  5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Third option but makes first option money.

roslolian likes this.
  6. jb86

jb86 Member

It would be worth it if you win a championship

jcmoon likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

The Pistons should've rebuilded years ago and they never did...they remind me of Washington.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

This has been inevitable ever since the Pistons made the trade. From an effort and competitiveness stand point he gives you nothing. However he has learned to shoot, can still rebound and play center. The Rockets don’t have the pieces to make it happen. I don’t think he has positive trade value at all.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. Jontro

Jontro Member

ryno, shump, and faried for blake.

gitr dunn mauri

BigShasta and Os Trigonum like this.
  10. Juxtaposed Jolt

High volume scorer, wants to be first option and can't shoot the 3 even though he's been working on it.

He would fail really hard in the Rockets' system. Hard pass.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

With the right offer or picks...

The contenders that could use him...

Jazz, Nuggets (with Milsapp, but they'd take a hit, defensively, teams could sleepwalk in the post and still score)

the Mavs, of course. Blake would be great with Luka.

Us, he'd get us tough points in the post and is an ok rebounder.

The Spurs

12. Jwise44

Jwise44 Member

I love Blake..a lot (I used to hate him)

But we don’t have the pieces, picks or ability to take his salary

jcmoon and plutoblue11 like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They need to bring in his breast bud Chandsome Parsons.

14. lionaire

lionaire Member

His knee is cooked and that contract his horrid. I'dl take him in Summer 2021 on that Boogie Cousins discount if he's down for that.

payaso and roslolian like this.
  15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He would make a very valuable addition to the Rockets.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would they like Westbrick?

Williamson likes this.
  17. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

He is not great but I would take him over Love.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I'd say absolutely yes, Detroit has been looking for a decent point guard for ages, basically since they lost Billups....and now that i think about it, wasn't Detroit the most interested team in Westbrook this summer? I'm pretty sure rumors had Detroit ahead of Miami but Westbrook wanted to come here and the trade with us happened.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

His money is too much.
    His is a third option at this point
    I bet you that Philly would trade Tobias for him

Rocket River

roslolian likes this.
  20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Would do. His injuries are a concern but he can shoot the three these days. When healthy he'd be a better offensive fit than Westbrick in my opinion. He's basically a rich man's Ryno. And his defense isn't any worse than Brodie's either.

jcmoon likes this.