1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Pippen trade years back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dm324, Dec 29, 2001.

1. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Don't you guys think we could have done a little better in the pippen trade, we came out w/ scrubs who didn't make the team like Ed Gray, Stacy AUgmon and Brian Shaw and also guys like Walt, Carlos Rogers, and Cato who have Minimal impact, why couldn't we have dealt pippen for 1 or maybe 2 guys, like why could,t we get jermaine oneal for him, or brian grant, or heck Bonzi Wells. Imagine this lineup

C-Jermaine Oneal/Mo Taylor
    Pf- Eddie Griffin/Kenny Thomas
    Sf-Glen Rice/Terence
    Sg-Cuttino Mobley/Bonzi
    Pg-Steve Francis/Moochie

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

Because no team is trading two good players like Bonzi and Jermaine for a washed up cancer like Pippen who forced the team to trade him.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Rockets didn't have that much leverage in dealing Pippen, we we're lucky to not get saddled with an enormous contract in return for him, in my opinion.

4. Yaniv

Yaniv Member

You are so right , we only got worse from that trade and we gave cato 42 million dolars!!! back in the days Pipen+Somebody+Draft pick was worth J.Oneal and Bonzi , too bad we got cato,walt,los,augmon and shaw instead .

Imagine this Lineup

J.Oneal/K.Wills
    Griffin/K9
    Taylor/Bonzi
    Cat/Torres
    Francis/Mooch

IR

T-Mo,Rice,T.Brown

That would have been a dynasty .

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

We should've kept Shaw and maybe Augmon. Look how well Shaw did on the Lakers.

6. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I think the best we could have done was to get O'neal instead of Cato, only because nooone knew he would blossom outside of Portland.

7. BDJ

BDJ Member

Our mistake was signing Pippen to that big contract in the first place. Granted, it seemed like a good idea at the time, but it was a terrible mistake in retrospect. So trading that big contract away can only be seen as a positive, regardless of who we got back.
    The big problem is that the Rockets turned that positive into a negative by handing out yet another terrible contract, this time to Cato. I understand the rush to court Pippen, with his six rings and all, but I can't understand why the Rockets rushed to throw so much cash at Cato after just one great pre-season game.

8. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I'm not sure we ever really "had" Shaw and Augmon.

Perhaps my memory dulls with time, but I thought they were just thrown in to even salaries, and the agreement was the Rockets would cut them so they could resign with Portland, or wherever.

9. alley-oop

alley-oop Member

When the trade was made Cato showed more potiental than Oneal. Its easy to say they made a mistake now but then it was a gamble and a guess.

Pippens trade wasn't the only one like that. We gave up a bunch of scrubs for Francis, Barkley, and Drexler. There were many other also.

I thought they should have went after Mcdyce insteed of Pippen but I understood what they were tring to do.

10. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I remember reading articles and listening to 610 when Rudy and others spoke of the trade. I remember them explicitly inquiring about O'neal. Portland was not going for it. They had the upperhand

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think that was a classic example of Rudy's offense. Here is a guy known for working inside 20 ft his entire career, yet we had him playing like Matt Bullard. It was sad to see, it also was his decline. In retrospect, we could have gotten more than that for him. SA will be in the same boat when Dunca will get ready to leave. Its tough when you know a player needs out, you can never get value. With a commanding salary of 14mil per, we might be able to give sa some of our trash to get him, Tayor,Cato, and maybe a draft pick or something, but they will not get value. Detroit got Chucky Atkins and Ben Wallace for grant hill.

12. drpepper

drpepper Member

We did get raped on that trade. We could at least got one quality player out of it, we should of held out until they coughed up someone good. They really thought pippen would take them to the Finals.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

People, we were in a total crap situation. We were trying to unload a guy who, while talented and accomplished, came with a price tag way bigger than his contributions, was proving himself to be difficult to get along with, and had gutted our leverage by making his trade demand public. In that situation, you get what you can, and what can get ain't great.

We could NOT get O'Neal -- not because anybody thought Cato was better, but for the opposite reason. Cato was available because Portland was high on O'Neal. And probably Portland knew Cato was a headcase, and yes, probably the Rockets should have checked that out more carefully, at least before throwing $42M at him. But the bottom line is, we got crap because we were offering crap. And everything else, starting with the immediate spin from the Rockets about what a stud Walt Williams was, was BS or self-delusion. End of story.

14. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Really, I think the problem is more that we had some guys who didn't end up panning out as well as we'd hoped. The Rockets had been trying to get Walt Williams forever, and when he finally got here, he became a disappointment. Cato looked AWESOME at first . . . then we signed him to big money, and it's been downhill ever since. At the time, I think we were all hoping for more, but just getting out of that contract (and into another bad one apparently) was worth it.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think Rudy is a sucker for a 3pt shot. Anyone remebering Matt Maloney's agent saying he had offers to play in Greece or somewhere? Next thing you know, he signs 7 yrs 21 million and then was waived. Personally, I'm against contracts longerthan 3 or 4 yrs unless the guy is a franchise type type, which we know it isn't that many of them. Other guys like Moochie, Taylor, and the Cato of the world, if you give them 3 or 4 yrs and it doesn't work, they can get ghost. Matt Maloney is layin up with a female somewhere getting paid by the Rockets. That was horrible.

16. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

We eventually did.... CATO

17. Dm324

Dm324 Member

Wink is right, we dumped one large contract for another, what was our thinking, i still think we could have waited longer than a preseason game vs the cavs to see Cato's promise

18. Lobo

Lobo Contributing Member

I get your overall point, but I wouldn't exactly call Horry and Cassell "scrubs." Horry's already collected a couple more rings and Cassell could very well get a chance to play for one. I'd say Phoenix got value for Barkley.

19. Band Geek Mobster

Maybe some of you forgot exactly how much Pippen is making compared to Cato.

Cato is making 6 Million Dollars...while Pippen is making 18 Million Dollars.

Kelvin Cato's salary doesn't get anywhere near as high as Pippen's...

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Rockets traded 3 backup PFs and a good PG for a Hall of Famer.

That sounds like a good deal to me.