1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

pippen trade/question

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cuneo77, Sep 26, 2005.

Tags:
  1. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

was that deal the best we could get for him? where there any other offers? i just remember hearing about his unhappiness,getting mad, then getting busy with othe things then saw the trade in the paper. also think we would have been good with dream,barkley,pippen and steve?

2. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

We should have demanded they give us Jermaine O'Neil insted of Cato since we were taking so much of their trash.

I also remember a Ray Allen for Pippen rumor.

3. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

Any deal to get rid of that freaking scum was the best possible deal.

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Let it go.

He's gone.

I would have traded him for a six pack of Milwaukee's Best.

5. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

i have i was just wondering what else was out there but ya i agree good riddence

6. The Sensei

The Sensei Contributing Member

The way I see it, everything happens for a reason. We can even thank Pippen for this dream lineup of T-Mac, Yao, and Swift. No Pippen, no Cato. No Cato & Franchise, no T-mac. You get the drift.

And if the team post-Hakeem/Barkley hadn't sucked so bad, we wouldn't have had Yao. So Pippen saved the franchise. Addition by subtraction, my friends.

7. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure we had plenty of great offers, but chose to take the worst one. :rolleyes:
    Do you think we had better offers?

8. Mr. Bruno

Mr. Bruno Member

I think we need to put this to rest. In January 1999, we traded Roy Rogers and a second round pick to get Pippen. That shows you how valuable Pippen was at that time!! Then in October 1999, we traded Pippen for Kelvin Cato, Walt Williams and others. As a result, the net trade was Roy Rogers and a second rounder for Cato and Williams. Considering the Cato turned into a serviceable big man and Williams our starting small forward. I think we did real good when we traded away Pippen.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i was waiting for someone to bring up that argument. well said.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Horry and Rice for Pippen i think? Rice would eventually find his way to Houston anyways...

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

That has to be some of the most flawed logic I've seen in a LONG time. We simply gave Chicago Roy Rogers and a second round pick in exchange for a sign and trade. Not because Pippen's trade value was Roy Rogers and a second rounder.

12. Mr. Bruno

Mr. Bruno Member

Sir Charles,

I don't want to be disrespectful. You probably know much more than basketball than me. But how is my logic flawed? I know it was a sign and trade. We traded certain goods to Chicago for a signed Pippen then nine months later we traded that signed Pippen to another team. As a result, how is that logic flaweed?

13. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Pippen was free agent when he left chicago, so he could have left chicago for nothing.So getting rogers and second round picks do not represent his value.

When he left us he was not a free agent.

however i agree that we should let it rest. I'm just glad he is gone.:D

14. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Orlando gave Toronto a second round pick for Tracy McGrady. Do you really think Tracy's value was a second round pick? Of coiurse not. Sometimes a sign and trade is worked out so the new team can give the player a better contract than he could sign with them directly. In exchange the old team gets a little bit of compensation, like a second round draft pick.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

Man I'd give up Pippen for some good 'ol Roy Rogers anyday, they made some good fried chicken.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

BUMP

Scottie Pippen traded to Portland for Kelvin Cato, Stacey Augmon, Walt Williams, Ed Gray, Brian Shaw and Carlos Rogers

Trading CP3 should not look anything like this
    If we cannot get any thing of value .. . . keep him

Rocket River

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Pippen trade? Man, I just got over the norovirus and you bring up this?