1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phoenix Suns Trade For Tracy McGrady...Or Least They Should

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocketman2000, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocketman2000

Rocketman2000 Contributing Member

Please lock if already posted, if not and you like please show some love with rep points. :)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/320535-suns-trade-for-tracy-mcgradyor-least-they-should

There are three scenarios which precipitate a trade:

1.Your team needs one specific piece to get over the hump (see: Cleveland)
    2.Your club is stuck in a rut (see: half the Western Conference)
    3.Another team is suddenly struck by the angel of charity and is willing to part with a premier piece for bread crumbs (see: the 2008 Memphis Grizzlies)
    The Phoenix Suns are in group number two.

Sure, they're better than everyone thought they would be, meaning that instead of watching ping pong balls with fingers crossed, they're stuck in the middle of the pack out West.

Phoenix's problem is that they've almost no way to bolster they're roster.

This year's draft pick is the property of Oklahoma City, you're not trading Nash, and giving away Stoudemire is too dangerous to do at this point in the game.

That leaves Leandro Barbosa (loves Phoenix, would cry if he left) and Jason Richardson (used to being unloved) as your only viable trade bait. Everyone else is either too essential or paid too little to be used in a team-changing transaction.

So trade both of them. To Houston. For Tracy McGrady

Your eyes are fine. Read the previous paragraph again, but add Kyle Lowry as another piece in the deal. This can and would work for the following reasons.

Reason Number One: T-Mac is ticked off and wants to prove the to world he's not done. In a Western Conference playoff push, I want a guy with his (potential) talent and that kind of attitude on my team.

Reason Number Two: McGrady becomes a free agent this summer. That's exciting. $22 million off the books in the storied summer of 2010?

Suddenly, the worst-case scenario doesn't look so bad. Say McGrady doesn't work out. He's really finished, or he's as lazy as his face suggests on hi-def. If T-Mac doesn't pan out, kick him to the curb in the summer.

Suddenly, I (meaning, if I were Steve Kerr/Robert Sarver with basketball sense) have a ton of extra money to spend in the best summer of free agency. I can finally beef up a roster that, frankly, is thin on the talented role-playing side.

I'm not talking Lebron. Everyone else can fight for him.

I'm talking the range of say, Nate Robinson/David Lee up to maybe Joe Johnson.

Whatever the case, I've got options galore to finally build a roster around Nash and Stoudemire, instead of piecing one together at the last minute (although admirably done with Frye and Dudley).

Say I (Steve Kerr/Robert Sarver) spend my cash on David Lee, Nate Robinson and either Mike Miller or Travis Outlaw.

Suddenly, I've got the following roster:

Starters: Nash, Robinson, Miller/Outlaw, Stoudemire, Lee

Bench: Dudley, Dragic, Amundson, Lopez, Frye, Lowry

If I'm Steve Kerr/Robert Sarver, I'm feeling pretty good about this roster. It's deeper (one bench player may not be there because of money), balanced, and ready to deal with the departures of Nash and Grant Hill.

It'd be shocking if McGrady were to regain form, but if he does, the Suns have a legit perimeter star to help make up for a slight lack of depth. In either scenario, the Suns are better off than they would be just standing pat.

Which, as the Jazz could tell you, gets you nowhere.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

That thread title annoyed me. I know it's the title of the article, but...

3. jvu

jvu Member

Morey would only deal with the suns if they dealt Steve Nash. FACT.

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

The author forgot the part about slipping the roofies to Morey to get him to accept that trade.

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

title fail.

1 person likes this.
  6. YourSecretLover

hate the title

1 person likes this.
  7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Seriously...change the title a bit.

8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Booooooooooo! Change the title... I freaked out when I logged on and saw the abbreviated titles for the first threads... and this one stopped after the word "McGrady."

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Why? Nash couldn't play with Shaq, what makes you think he will be able to play with Yao who has less mobility, less reaction time and worse at catching the ball?

Tmac and Lowry for J-Rich and Barbosa would transform us into contenders not just next season, but right now. J-Rich would provide the offensive punch we need and Barbosa could be our very own Jet, with C-bud taking the playmaking role.

10. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Define delusional.

11. Rehabstudios

Rehabstudios Member

Hahahaha. McLady trying to run with Nash, good one....

12. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Woah, woah there Nelly. You're willing to give the playmaking role to a rookie shooting forward while our starting center is 6'6" in pumps? Lets not get carried away here. It may work in NBA2k10, but not in real life.

13. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Why are we going to give up Kyle Lowry and Tmac for J. Rich and Leandro? That would be a bad trade for the Rockets because Kyle Lowry is the best passer in the team and we do not need two shoot first point guards on this team. Kyle Lowry is a good defender and he change the pace every time he steps onto the court.

14. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Comon man, Tmac no longer plays for this team. Stop calling him names already. Him leaving the team is enough but continue on calling him names and bashing him? Leave it alone man.

15. FR0497

FR0497 Member

He failed to explain in his article why on earth Houston would do this stupid trade. No thanks.

16. badgerfan

badgerfan Member

Why should anybody in Houston (or Toronto, or Orlando) have kind feelings for McGrady?

17. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Tmac would fit perfectly on that team.. they already don't play D.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I was thinking the same thing

Rocket River

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.