1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phoenix Coyotes available???....

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Deuce Rings, May 6, 2009.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Any rumored interest from H-Town??....

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4146333

Bettman registers doubt on Coyotes bidComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

NEW YORK -- NHL commissioner Gary Bettman is skeptical of Jim Balsillie's offer to buy the Phoenix Coyotes, saying he isn't sure the BlackBerry boss could gain approval of league owners.

The NHL stripped current Coyotes owner Jerry Moyes of the authority to run the club Tuesday after Moyes announced the team had filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.

Balsillie subsequently announced a plan to buy the financially troubled team and move it to Canada, where they were the Winnipeg Jets before moving to Phoenix for the 1996-97 season.

"I don't know whether or not he could get approved," Bettman said Wednesday during a gathering of commissioners from the four major U.S. pro sports leagues, sponsored by The Wall Street Journal. "That's, as I said, something I don't get a vote on. If in fact it becomes an issue for board consideration, the board of governors of the league will make that decision."

Chaos in the desert

Jim Balsillie's take-no-prisoners approach appears to irritate commissioner Gary Bettman, one of the reasons his attempts to acquire an NHL franchise all have met with abject failure, Scott Burnside writes. Story

A second team in the Toronto area? Of course that would work. But any new franchise probably won't have Jim Balsillie as the owner, Pierre LeBrun writes. Blog

Bettman's skepticism is in part fueled by the timing of Tuesday's events. The Arizona Republic and TSN of Canada reported that Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly were in Phoenix that day to work out a deal -- something Moyes was informed of on Monday.

That deal, TSN reported, would put the franchise in the hands of Chicago White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf.

Earl Scudder, Moyes' financial adviser, told the Republic that Bettman and Daly had wanted to give Moyes the proposal on Tuesday.

In the meantime, however, Moyes pursued actions that resulted in his filing for bankruptcy, thereby thwarting the league's plans. Bettman and Daly found out about the bankruptcy filing at 3:30 p.m. local time, according to the Republic.

When Moyes, Bettman and Daly finally met at Moyes' business at the airport, Moyes was notified he was being removed from any further business with the Coyotes, and that the league was taking over the team.

Bettman and Daly flew back to New York, and the NHL released a statement Tuesday night saying it was "investigating the circumstances surrounding the [bankruptcy] petition, including the propriety of its filing."

Balsillie, co-CEO of BlackBerry maker Research In Motion, said his $212.5 million offer is conditional on the Coyotes relocating to Canada.

The team's Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing included the proposed sale of the franchise to PSE Sports & Entertainment, LP. A hearing is set for 1:30 p.m. Thursday in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Phoenix.

Bettman said the filing occurred "not because creditors were lurking and seeking redress for not being paid, but because there was an offer apparently from Mr. Balsillie to buy the franchise and move it."

"This is not about whether or not we want a franchise in southern Ontario. This is not about whether or not Mr. Balsillie would make a suitable owner that the owners would approve. This is about the league's rules and the enforceability of our rules," Bettman said.

"Whether or not Mr. Moyes even had the authority to file the bankruptcy petition is something we're going to get into. This is more about the tactic and I think a challenge to league rules than it is about economic condition of the club, which we believe can with new ownership and with the accommodations the city of Glendale is prepared to make, we think can succeed."

Bettman sounded as if the league wouldn't approve a move of the Coyotes right now.

"We generally try to avoid relocating franchises unless you absolutely have to," he said. "We think when a franchise is in trouble, you try and fix the problems. That's what we did in Pittsburgh and Ottawa and Buffalo prior to our work stoppage. That's what we did when the perception was that five out of the six Canadian franchises around the turn of the century were in trouble. We fixed the problems. We don't run out on cities."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Everything I have heard and read talks about them moving back to Canada.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If we didn't have the Aeros I'm sure we'd get a team eventually.

4. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

5. Deuce Rings

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Good for them!!!

I only know what I read on this here board. ;)

7. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm not sure why Les Alexander would even want an NHL team.

9. Bruins&RedSox21

10. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

There's still a professional hockey league? I seriously haven't seen a highlight or game in 3 or 4 years

12. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

What a strange thing, eh? A professional hockey league can actually survive without some random dude in a non-hockey market watching it.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

The idea of Houston having an NHL team makes me laugh. Attendance would be terrible.

14. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's tough to find and I am by no means a fan, but I really enjoy watching the Winter Classic every year and the current Pittsburgh-Washington series is a godsend for the NHL. I recognize that Sidney Crosby and Alexander Ovechkin are exciting, young, and marketable players.

Plus, turn that HDTV to hockey; no sport has benefited as much from HD than hockey, since you can actually see what's going on.

Plus, wherever Don Cherry is, I'll be there.

[​IMG]

15. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

holy a hell a movie villain in real life!

17. Deuce Rings

I never watch a regular season game myself, but I think game 5's and game 7's in the NHL may be the ultimate playoff spectacle, especially when you get the games when the next goal means the series. Very intense and high energy entertainment. Do I think hockey in Houston would pack the arena? Not at all, but I don't think the other sports (football excepted) bring in the fans locally either unless the team is winning, and in some case winning isn't even enough to generate sellouts.

18. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Winnipeg Jets time.

It's Poetic Justice if it happens.

(a tupac movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111 gangssta gangsta!)

seriously. I thought they just built a new arena for them? the Jobbing.com arena.

19. Deuce Rings

The baove poster is right though. The current rumor is someone wants to buy the team and move it to southern Ontario. Sounds like a second team in Toronto, maybe a team returning to Quebec City.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Forget the NHL... we got the Aeros BABY! AEROS!!!