1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Philosophy that fits Morey's players

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Is there one? They did fine last year via the playing hard philosophy but that thing didnt work this season.

2. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

Just watch a Warriors game and you'll see

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So Morey's philosophy works when you have all time great 3pt shooters on the team.

I feel as if any philosophy would work well with all time great shooters on a team.

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Does that philosophy fit Morey's players? If so, why haven't we traded for it yer?

5. malakas

malakas Member

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Playing hard: defense edition

The Rockets need to download that expansion pack.

7. Rocket4Life11

Rocket4Life11 Contributing Member

I think last years philosophy only worked last year.

DM, Mchale, and co. probably knew that and tried to change that philosophy by bringing in another play-maker and having Harden play more off the ball.

Since that failed, as we all know. They're back to last years philosophy, one that the rest of the league already knows and is far too predictable.

IMO, the personnel has to change for a more sophisticated philosophy to work.

8. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

We'll never know. Warriors were trash before Kerr's system.

But I do know that Smoove can pass as good as Draymond

9. ibm

ibm Member

two words:

freelance.

:p

10. dmoneybangbang

Did you actually follow the Warriors before Kerr of you hustlin' me boy?

11. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Money's law of analytics would say next season the defense should regress to the mean and get back to last season's and the shooting would improve.

This is just a small burp :confused:

12. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Smith can physically make the last pass that Draymond makes, but I don't see him seeing the pass that leads to the pass the way Draymond does. Nor can he defend, shoot or handle as well.

13. frontline94

frontline94 Member

Call me crazy, but I think he can insofar as he's shown flashes of that all around basketball. If he's the put in the right system, I think he can. Imo

14. Rhay1

Rhay1 Member

Morey's only philosophy is whatever makes him look good as a GM Deal Maker.The Smartest Guy in the Room Type.
    Ever since the firing of Rick Adelman (seasons 2007-2011), I've had the feeling that a great coach is not going to work under this regime. When Adelman took over the Rockets after Van Gundy, he added a great offense to match Van Gundy's form of defense. But with McGady and Yao showing signs of not being able to stay healthy, I don't think anyone expected Adelman would be able to win without them. I think Adelman was supposed to tank, but he wouldn't. Yea I know that is supposed to go against Les' philosphy, but you have to remember one thing. Les was flush with cash from China because of Yao and McGrady. We were the $hit in China!

But in his seasons with the Rockets, Adelman held a record of 193-135 (.588) While transitioning his team to a new offensive scheme, the Rockets continued to rely on their core strength of defense. Houston ranked fourth in the NBA in points allowed per game (92.0) and second in field goal percentage defense (.433). The Rockets also finished first in the NBA in total rebounds per game (44.6).
    This included a 22 game run; an all time league record of double digit wins (10), 8 straight by 12 pts., and a 13-0 Feb.

Adelman guided the Rockets to a second round seven game series against the Lakers without McGrady. I remember watching Yao walking to the locker room with a cracked foot in game three. I had no idea that would be the end for him.
    Those numbers look absolutely gaudy compared to what we have now. Almost, Warrior like.:rolleyes:

Here's what we were told about the firing then.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6384752
    My favorite quote from that;"I came to coach Yao and Tracy and ended up with Luis and Chuck."

Sorry, I've tried to give this Management Group every chance; but looking back to those years I can't believe this is where we are..... I'm not jumping ship, but c'mon Les! That other shoe needs to drop.

15. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Mark Jackson's philosophy didn't work well with the same team.

16. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

"Maybe if we don't defend their three point shots, then they'll turn around and not defend ours either!"

1 person likes this.
  17. Exiled

Exiled Member

Mark Jackson GS = McHale Rockets.

The difference maker is coaching . No single trade magically would change this team

Bring someone close to Steve Kerr and its a guaranty the same roster we have are going to be an elite team.

18. ln3012

ln3012 Member

Mark Jackson GS didn't have the best basketball player in the world at the time. Kerr's does. that helps too

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Maybe they just suck......

20. Exiled

Exiled Member

Best player gold digging is a Houston thing GS didn't go after superstars , they made 'em .

Curry,Clay,Green and....,... Play more controlled within their abilities .almost every player's shot taken from the same spots . Efficiency went of chart for every single player.

For the Rockets it's the opposite , every shot is a new look, players spend time to figure out the next moves , nothing natural just forced plays ,when a player is fatigue , a mental collapse take over the entire team .

(play harder) v. (Play smarter)

GS have almost in every game ,they have a 5 minutes of perfect BB, they take a huge lead and then they just conserve energy for the next game