1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Philidelphia 76ers] Possible interest in D'Antoni and Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Mar 29, 2020.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and bad coaching decisions in playoff time

2. fattz

fattz Member

I think MDA is one of the best minds in sports. Bill Parcells quality. He can’t / won’t make in game adjustments; that is the biggest part of what coaches do. He needs to be a coordinator with a lot of control, IMO. I by no means want to slam on him, just making observation from years enjoyment.

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With Embiid, if you can find a spot where he can shoot the 3 ball near 40% (the corners?) he becomes a powerful weapon. His game would have to change, but I don't think he'd have to give up posting up. MDA is known to let players play. I do think he'd give him better situations to post up in by surrounding him with shooters so that when he cuts into the paint he will be in more one on one situations and if not can kick it back out to a shooter.

That of course does mean you have to get rid of Simmons. You simply can not have a guard who doesn't shoot the 3 with a guy who likes to post up. I still don't know how Philly doesn't realize this is hurting both of their games.

tycoonchip likes this.
  4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

For fun I suggested a roster-for-roster swap. Since my scenario is the real one, Joe L. M. Bead will not be tingled with Pringle’s.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Tilman is gonna shed salary like crazy in order to make up for his lost restaurant revenues which is the sad part. Rockets will have the lowest salary in the league.

bleedroxred79 likes this.
  6. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

I unfortunately agree

7. Remlap

Remlap Member

I find it hilarious to think that just because someone can jump and dunk and shoot a basketball
    that they'll be a natural fit for GM too.

MJ, Bird, Isaiah Thomas, Kevin McHale, etc. . . the list goes on
    Most have had mediocre to subpar success (
    And now Elton Brand

Daryl Morey has only dribbled wine down the front of his shirt or dunked a donut
    but he can run circles around any of these guys when it comes to
    player analysis, contract manipulation and payroll constraints.

If Morey were to be released he'd surely have a job tomorrow.
    Savvy GM's do not grow on trees

FrontRunner likes this.
  8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

He could save a ton of money by selling the team. Ross Perot Jr. bought, then sold the Mavs in a little under four years in the late nineties.

9. MystikArkitect

MDA is one suspicious suspension and one hamstring from having one less ring than Kerr.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I agree with all that, but Ujiri is smarter than Morey. Morey doesn't have to do much work while picking a star or even good role players who fit in the system, but he isn't a very good drafter. I do give him credit for going after Russ, who isn't a great shooter though. MDA lacks versatility and Morey also relies a bit too much on 3 and D. The thing that bothers me about Morey is sticking his nose into a coach's job.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Yeah but we have TF junior waitingo_O

12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Nope he was let go during the lockdown

FrontRunner likes this.
  13. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Embiid is going to look at coach to call a timeout when he's played non stop and
    Mike won't even flinch

yeah do it sixers
    @Os Trigonum

14. jayland

jayland Member

But do we even have any future draft picks left to give away for salary dumps?

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Huh? The Rockets are the only team in the NBA that completely ignore midrange shots. Yes WB takes them, but other than that we are advised by Morey against them. I'm not sure what you're talking about

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The Rockets had a good run that year but it's Morey's inability to deviate from jacking up 3's thats basically why we lost

cheke64 likes this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

They're going to have the lowest salary and ALSO the least amount of assets. lmao. It's gonna be miserable.

18. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Kerr is one suspension and an injury (or two) away from winning 5 straight rings by that logic.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Let me see if I am understanding, Morey and MDA receiving the interest of a team... where the main stars are a center and a PG who cannot throw three point shoots?
    Good luck with that!

[​IMG]

20. payaso

payaso Member

This. Embiid would need a physiological transformation along the lines of Dwight in LA this past season; hot yoga his way down to about peak Olajuwon dimensions to work in the system. There are no Shaq-style bullyboys to eat his lunch in the paint so it's doable.