1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Philadelphia Bans Feeding the Homeless Outdoors

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jun 2, 2012.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

To be clear, it is not all outdoor feeding, just 'large groups', though I'm not sure just what constitutes a large group of homeless people. I just don't see why this is necessary. If people are hungry and there are groups that would rather spend their limited funds on food instead of renting out a place, paying utilities, etc., then these community groups should be applauded. :mad:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/15/philadelphia-homelessness-mayor-nutter_n_1346935.html

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

It's even more of a shame since you know the City and citizens who pushed for this are not trying to feed or house the homeless in any other fashion. But I don't want to see some vagrant vomiting up bad potato salad on a sidewalk, either.

3. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

This happened in Houston also.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The City of Brotherly Love?

I noticed alot of the food banks etc
    may have large gatherings of people outside their building for holidays
    and feed them [temp chairs and tables, etc]

This would make that illegal?

Rocket River

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Probably end up something like this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZDD6FtNMpNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. Convictedstupid

That's a shame. Philly has multiple different organizations who do these types of food drives weekly that really helps the homeless population up there.

7. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Totally agree with this decision.

Signed
    [​IMG]

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

Obama

zombies

Aliens

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Damn, that's one of my favorite hobbies -- getting a group of bums together and tossing them bread crumbs -- sometimes if i'm feeling mischievous i'll mix in an alka-seltzer.

1 person likes this.
  10. aghast

aghast Member

Yeah, the outside food giveaways are located near the tourist district. From the city's standpoint, they're trying to protect Ma and Pa Jones from having to explain to Sonny the source of the smell on their weekend field trip.

Is it:
    A) Liberty Bell?
    B) Statue of Rocky?
    C) the one-toothed vagrant defecating on the sidewalk?

This pits compassion versus quality of life/the tourist dollar.

11. aghast

aghast Member

When I was younger, after throwing out wadded up Wonder Bread, and getting a big group of them together, I used to like to run at the homeless -- just to watch them scatter.

Never caught one, though.

That was the funniest thing I've read in a while.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Let's not solve the homeless issue, let's just make them leave our city. Excellent decision ... No doubt supported by big business... Not much money in homeless folks ... Their organs are useless from disease, poor diet and alcoholism.

13. aghast

aghast Member

Let's not pretend there's an easy solution, either. If you have schizophrenia, you're pretty much beyond the limitations, the helping hand, of modern pharmacology.

I live in an area of Houston where I get hit up for money two-three times every time I walk out the front door. I don't kid myself: I'm happy to support the local food bank, but I'd much rather that the homeless did not share my neighborhood.

If you give money to everyone who asks, you feel like a sap. If you don't, you feel like a miser.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I don't disagree with you.. Mental health, poor decisions, drug abuse and dependency all play a huge part in the homeless issue. In the 1980's funding for mental health was basically cut and destroyed.... However, what I do know for sure is that laws such as the one in Philadelphia do not in anyway solve the problem. No one wants homeless people around their homes or work... But all this law does is pass the problem on to someone else.

15. aghast

aghast Member

Absolutely. Not In My Back Yards all around.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I know cities often cling to notions of blight and panhandling detracts business away from the city. At the end of day, these human beings who have nowhere else to go. City officials and business leaders often argue that the homeless individuals or families have many resources that they can utilize. Reality ... these services are very limited, mostly for funding and lack of service projects.

Programs can only provide basic needs for a limited number of individuals...homeless person can never really be situated for whatever reasons may apply. Some centers you have to already be registered in, while you are not guaranteed a spot each night. Many shelter do not admit people until certain times of the day. They really do not have resources and connections to assist people back into society. Moreover, finding a job can be daunting task...many employers tend not hire unemployed workers as it is, if you tell them that you are homeless. Typically, there goes your chances. There's very few places you can go to and receive your mail or have temporary, yet official address. Almost the most basic thing

The only things worse than being homeless is pretty much being in prison, having a terminal, life threatening illness, or dead. Not all homeless people fit the description of mentally ill or even lazy bum.

Cities now are proceeding to the point of crackdowns on meal handouts, giveaways, loitering (the families who sort of park their cars or SUVs somewhere to rest for the night) and tent-like cities (where people often gather together in tents and live).

RedRedemption said yesterday jokingly (He hated people)...referencing the Japanese guy who removed his own gentials to be cooked and served to people for $100,000k.

I tend to hate people for this reason and how society tends to treat less fortunate people, like garbage.

17. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I think we should give AK-47s to the homeless and then drop them all off on Wall Street.

18. aghast

aghast Member

Are you going to drive them? In your car?

With the windows rolled up?

Yeah, didn't think so.

[Intractable problems are intractable.]

19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

What if I give them the food in little wood built doll-like houses that hold the food? Is that still considered outdoors? ;)

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'll charter a bus.