1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Spencer on the Future of Xbox: Upgradeable console

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JeffB, Mar 1, 2016.

1. Salvy

Salvy Member

You only need to game on PC if you obsess about playing games at the highest graphical setting... Which is better than console but in no way worth the extra money to obtain it. Games look great on Xbox 360 and PS3.... Hardware that is 10 years old..... Why do they look great? Because the software development teams actually spent time creating a product specifically for that hardware and for it to offer the best possible experience.

$140 for a graphics card and $300 for a processor alone puts you at $440... And the graphics are still not going to be a giant leap over PS4 or an Xbox....

2. mikus

mikus Member

3. hlcc

hlcc Member

The notion that consoles can some how magically push out significantly better graphical results than a PC of similar hardware due to "optimization" is a huge myth.

Somebody that spends $140 on a mid-range graphics card will not spend $300 to buy a top of the line CPU. For $399.99 you can buy a a complete pre-build low-end gaming computer such as the console sized Alienware Alpha which is capable of slightly better graphics than PS4 & Xbox One.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd?~ck=mn​

Whether the improved graphics & more importantly frame rates offered by higher end PC hardwares is worth it will depend on the person. To me personally it's worth it (i actually own a PS4 as well and also still have my xbox 360 & PS3 collecting dust on the shelf)

4. MykTek

MykTek Member

as a fan of console gaming, I think this is refreshing and cool.
    I spend a few $$$ every few years to upgrade my pc and wouldn't mind spending a few to upgrade the console either.

5. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tim Sweeney is warning us about what MS is up to with the move toward universal windows apps and the expansion of the Xbox to the PC:

6. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The sky is falling!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UWP is a fully open ecosystem, available to every developer, and can be supported by any store. Broad range of tools <a href="https://t.co/LqPcjRFzu9">https://t.co/LqPcjRFzu9</a></p>&mdash; Phil Spencer (@XboxP3) <a href="https://twitter.com/XboxP3/status/705795213709561857">March 4, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

Not that big of a deal. Gamers overreact to everythign

8. JeffB

Supporting Member

Here is Microsoft's response to the Guardian piece:

I don't think Sweeney is being Chicken Little here. He has been part of behind the scenes discussions on this with MS for a while. And he is right to have some goosebumps over this. Especially the aspects that limit app/game capability based on UWP status/participation.

Clearly, Microsoft wants to consolidate software and develop a walled garden. A walled garden has been a boon for Apple. It helps Google close off and control the Android platform. To the degree that Steam can be considered a monopoly, the Steam store/platform has been boon for Valve. Following these examples allows Microsoft to cash-in on each app sell.

For consumers, the walled garden approach can be used to vet the quality of some software. But more importantly, it can create a system allowing software/games purchased on PC to seamlessly (to the consumer) run on Xboxes and Surface tablets.

This may mean Sweeney will have to enter some revenue sharing agreement with MS similar to devs in the iOS App Store. And if he doesn't like it, he can always make sure his Linux/SteamOS Vulkan support is top notch.

9. KaiSeR SoZe

It's not a walled garden though, you can side load apps also uwp apps can be sold on other stores as well. Lets see what happens. It's still pretty early in the platform

10. JeffB

Supporting Member

Not yet. And I haven't claimed it is, just yet. But I believe that is Microsoft's ultimate goal, here. It looks like their basic embrace, extend, and extinguish strategy. If Sweeney has learned anything from MS's past behavior, it is to complain publicly now before the other shoe drops. Make waves while it is early.

Right now, MS has to be much more open with the platform because of the existing ecosystem. But those conditions dictating playing nice won't be around forever.

Anyway, who says a walled garden will be bad for consumers? It might be a pain for Sweeney, but having a designated distribution point for software has benefits for consumers. Example: Another advantage to UWP apps is that they run in a sandbox, which, in theory, should help improve security. This is all stuff Apple does anyway. And no-one is too up in arms over that.

One thing MS can do is lock down their mobile devices and consoles and leave the PC space more open, similar to Apple's strategy with Macs and iOS devices.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Not just FF. Stability, streamline UI/UX, fast and quick. PC = all kind of hardware with all kind of SW and configurations that aren't validated for just GAMING.

12. JeffB

Supporting Member

Well, I am not looking to do anything other than game on my living room TV. So the essence of what makes a PC doesn't concern me. Hence my focus on gaming and form factor and why my wife doesn't want a big box in our living room.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Except windows has 90% marketshare as opposed to android or iOS which means it will have much higher government scrutiny since its pretty much a monopoly.

14. JeffB

Supporting Member

Of this we are all very aware. It is a fair point. And I think that is why Sweeney is ringing bells right now.

MS could be extending the Xbox garden into the PC world or extending the PC monopoly into the console/other device space. Are either of these worth the DOJ's attention let alone the DOJ's curiosity?

Let me add: This is a very different Microsoft than prior decades. This Microsoft has a Github account. This Microsoft has made incredible contributions to the free-software world the past couple of years.

#54 JeffB, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  15. KaiSeR SoZe

16. JeffB

Supporting Member

I agree that this is a new Microsoft. The "good guys" inside the company finally won. And now we have this: https://github.com/Microsoft

17. JeffB

Supporting Member

Looks like Sony may be getting in on this action, too.