1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson:Shaq only guy "that hasn't been a worker..."

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Gatorfan76, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Looks like the feud continues-- although not exactly breaking news that Shaq is lazy...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2708333

It wouldn't be Christmas without a Shaq-Kobe feud, and now it seems Phil Jackson wants in on the tradition.

Jackson, who once upon a time seemed to favor his star center over his star shooting guard, on Sunday called out O'Neal, saying he was "the only person I've ever had that hasn't been a worker."

Shaq, who is rarely at a loss for words, was asked about Jackson's comments on Monday following Miami's 101-85 win over O'Neal's former team.

"How can Benedict Arnold be reliable in what he says?" the Big Aristotle was quoted as saying in Tuesday's edition of The Los Angeles Times. O'Neal declined to elaborate on his statement and, since he was in street clothes for the game, was not required to give a formal post-game interview.

O'Neal and Bryant had been feuding since O'Neal's trade to Miami following the 2003-04 season. But last year the two superstars stated publicly that they had reconciled their differences.

Then came Jackson's comments on Sunday.

"He's the one guy that didn't really like to work," said the coach who boasts nine NBA championship rings. "I know Pat [Riley] got him working here in Miami. We had a hard time getting him to work. All the other players -- Michael [Jordan], Scottie [Pippen], Dennis Rodman, all those guys that we had, Horace Grant, they're all hard-working practice and personal work players."

Of course, O'Neal was not the only player Jackson prodded. Speaking about Dwyane Wade, Shaq's new partner in crime and last year's NBA Finals MVP, Jackson said, "He travels on that spin move. He picks up that pivot foot … everybody knows it. Dwyane Wade can cover so much ground when he makes that move. As you know, he can go 20 feet with that spin move and get to the basket."

While Jackson's comments are sure to refuel a media frenzy that was threatening to die down, it did little to help his team, which has lost three of five.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Phil just being Phil

Rocket River

3. dookiester

dookiester Member

i like phil jackson. at first i bought into the whole deal with him being overrated or riding the coattails of his stars, but now i know it isnt so easy to just ride your stars to success (see the rockets).

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Isn't it already well known that Shaq isn't the hardest worker?

5. YaoTheMan

YaoTheMan Contributing Member

I always thought Wade travels with every other move

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

See the Rockets? The Rockets never have two superstars fully in their prime fully healthy.

That said, Phil has also gained some of my respect in how he gets the young Lakers to win so many games. This is something he did not have to do in the past.

That said, I still don't like him. Kobe, Shaq, and Phil are three of the biggest egos in the NBA. They deserve each other.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Phil should just shut up about this. He's stabbed both Kobe and Shaq in the back. Making this comment about Shaq now is ridiculous. I wouldn't trust Phil with my shoe size. How much you wanna bet he will shishkebob Kobe again when he leaves the Lakers the 2nd time.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I personally enjoy seeing Phil lose.

9. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Sounds like a typical hater after another loss to a better coach and team in Riles and the Heat...Hey Phillip, you and Kobe will never win a title together, you will never win another title ever again...just keep banging buss' daughter, smell those candles, hold Kobe's hand and sing kumbaya.

And don't even start complaining about superstars getting away with things when you had Jordan and Kobe who can do anything and everything out there and get away with it.

How anyone can like the Fakers bafles me...they are so unlikable it is ridiculous.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's the truth though. Shaq is a member of the Charles Barkley practice club. A lot of similarities with the results, too.

Evan

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

All Shaq needs to say is -- "What has Phil won without me or Jordan?"

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There is one huge difference. How many championships did Barkley win?

13. Omer

Omer Member

That's what I'm talking about. Say it like it is son.

14. Highwire

Highwire Member

You mean basketball coaches have no contributions how the game is won?

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not as nearly as much as the players do.

16. superden

superden Contributing Member

Meh, Shaq isn't exactly the hardest worker out there, so Phil just stated something the world knew. Carry on.

17. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

Shaq IS a freakin hard worker. Phil Jackson is a random r****d who happened to win so many championships because of MJ&Pippen, then Kobe&SHaq. Kobe is trash. Kobe & Phil are dirty MoFos. Shaq was the nucleus of the team, and after he left, there's no way Phil is winning again.

Phil Jackson is the most overrated figure in basketball (including players, coaches, Atheltic trainers, waterboys...). just watch some Lakers game, the whole plan is: give the ball to the ballhog, and he does whatever he wants; either jack up a wild shot or give it to a teammate. this whole "triangle offense" whatever u call it is an illusion.

Phil is a total jerk to go out and bash his former player right now! I lost all my respect for him after he came back to Kobe like a little b!t%&. and now he is talking crap about Shaq. he is just mad because Pat Riley made him his B!t%& .. :rolleyes:

18. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I think Phil Jackson is a great coach, but it's pretty childish to throw stones like he did here. But he was also saying something we all know, Shaq takes most of the season off now and waits for the playoffs. We see it coming every season, I don't know how people can say otherwise.

I kind of sympathize w/ Wade. He knows this and has to hold the fort while his sidekick (yes, Shaq is the sidekick now) decides when he wants to give 100% again.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I dunno . . but part of me wants TMAC to take it light until the playoffs

Rocket RIver

20. Highwire

Highwire Member

In a team sport, coaches are as important as players. You can NOT win without a good coach.

Example. Look at the USA team this year that got busted by a team with mediocre talents like Greece, it was the coaching team that made the diffrence.

If LeBron, Wade and Melo couldn't get the trophy, I don't see MJ and Scottie making it without Phil.