1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Phil Jackson on Miami Heat: Talent doesn't always win.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Marteen, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Marteen

Marteen Member

link

Way back in June, Phil Jackson agreed to come back for one more season with the Los Angeles Lakers. In his sights was another opportunity for an NBA championship and another shot at a three-peat.

Seems an eternity ago. So much has changed -- namely the rise of a certain formidable foe in the Eastern Conference. The Miami Heat's mega free-agent acquisitions of LeBron James and Chris Bosh -- teaming with Dwyane Wade -- have all the markings of an instant championship contender.

"They got great talent," Jackson said in an interview with ESPN 1000 in Chicago. "There's no question about their talent they have. But, talent doesn't always win. The team that shows the best teamwork will win it. We think that [the Lakers] have established something. But, if [the Heat] can unite -- and build quickly -- they might be able to do it."

Jackson teams have won 11 of the past 20 NBA title and the coach is always able to add a little historical perspective.

"I always refer to when Wilt Chamberlain was traded from Philadelphia to Los Angeles and that put [Elgin] Baylor, [Jerry] West and Chamberlain together -- three of the top scorers in NBA history -- and they never won a championship together the four years they were together," Jackson said.

"It's not always scorers and talent that wins it. But it's teamwork that does it."

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Lol man it would be so awesome if they dont win a championship the whole time there together

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

As much as I hate the Lakers, Phil is as cool as coaches come.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Phil channeling his inner DD.

DD

5. Zergling

Zergling Member

The 2010 FIBA champions would disagree with Phil.

6. Prince

Prince Member

Are you saying they didn't have the chemistry? you're wrong.

Coach K said it himself that they had to build one to win it all.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

are you saying that other competing teams in 2010 FIBA championship are in the same level as other NBA teams not named Miami Heat?

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

I would love to see Miami get like the number 1 seed going into the playoffs, and then get knocked out by the 8th seed by NY or someone. That would just make the year for me.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You're needy.

10. DaDakota

You need a hug....come through our neighborhood and I will reach through the gates to give you one, you can't come in though, we don't let riff raff like you in...

DD

11. eman

eman Contributing Member

Zen Master mind trick: planting the seed of doubt.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm sure they would have won if they still had kwame vs gasol

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I wouldn't drive by that Circle C hell hole if you paid me a million dollars.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I do have to give LBJ credit for one thing - he and the Heat have been able to supplant the Lakers as my least favorite team. I didn't think it was possible, but he did it. I know I'm risking being added to his mental notes, but I just wanted to give him credit.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Didn't know this and I am too lazy to look it up but could these HOF greats gotten teamed up in the twilight of their careers. Thats not the case with Miami's big 3, they are young and in their prime and their best player Lebron is no ball hog.

16. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Queen James is taking notes...

[​IMG]

17. DaDakota

Is your trailer still running?

DD

18. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

haha. owned.

19. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

what is he talking about? his teams have always been among those with the most talent.

jordan pippen -> shaq/kobe -> kobe/gasol

sure, phil.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he's right.

i don't have a lot of faith in the heat's ability to control the paint, which is what makes the lakers, celtics, and magic so tough... oh, and also helped the spurs win 4 championships. nor do i have faith in spoelstra (nice coach and all) to out-coach the likes of jackson, rivers, or even SVG and thibs on the way to a championship.